Boy

Boy

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  31 reviews

A cobblestone road. A sunny day. A soldier. A gun. A child, arms high in the air. A moment captured on film. But what is the history behind arguably the most recognizable photograph of the Holocaust? In The Boy: A Holocaust Story, the historian Dan Porat unpacks this split second that was immortalized on film and unravels the stories of the individuals—both Jews and Nazi

Published October 26th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy

Meaghan
The photo on the cover of this book is probably the most recognizable Holocaust photo in the world, and arguably one of the most recognizable photos in history. The child's terrified little face has captivated many people, not the least author Dan Porat, who became obsessed with uncovering the identities of the people in the picture and the stories of their lives.

I had heard that the boy lived: that he survived the war, became a doctor in Boston, and had that picture framed and on display in his...more
Patricia O'Sullivan
Of all the photos taken of the Holocaust, none was more haunting to historian Dan Porat than one taken by a Nazi photographer during the liquidation of the Warsaw ghetto. At the center of the photo is a young boy with his hands raised in surrender. Nazi officers stand behind the boy. On the other side of the boy is a group of people also with their hands in the air. Professor Porat kept seeing the photo at Holocaust museums and heard from several curators how the young boy in the photo survived...more
Chris
This is an interesting book, but the title is somewhat misleading, or at least the jacket description is misleading.

The book is mostly concerned with tracing three people who were in the Warsaw Ghetto during the uprising. One Jewish woman and two Nazis. Porat does a good job of showing the history.

The only reason why I am giving it three stars is my personal bias aganist the use of imgination in history. I don't like it. But it is my hang up, not Mr. Porat's.

The book is worth reading simply for...more
Daniel Meek
This fascinating novel keeps the reader on the edge of their seat from beginning to end. As a World War II fanatic, I was intrigued by this book the moment I started reading it. It gave me a different perspective on the terrifying journeys taken by Jews during the era of religious persecution. I felt that this book well demonstrated the terrors of World War II. Porat did a outstanding job writing this story from different viewpoints. Having been told from different views, the story allows the re...more
Connor G.
"The Boy: A Holocaust Story" by Dan Porat provides an in-depth look into the harsh holocaust times in Germany. Through authentic language, photos, and Porat's imagination, it book is very informational yet intriguing. There is a continuing theme of hope, redemption, and love that is portrayed through the book. The documentation of the hard times and struggles of those in Germany during the time triggered me, as the reader, to be constantly hoping for solutions to their many problems. Perhaps, th...more
Monica
“The Boy” is much more a historical novel than it is historical non-fiction. I say this simply because, though filled with a lot of historical information that seems well documented, the author takes a lot of liberty in presenting personal character narratives that may or may not be accurate. We can well understand the fear and terror that enveloped so many people during that time but unless actual thoughts and words are coming from the diary of someone the author has written about, we can never...more
Mike Clinton
Dan Porat uses a famous picture of a boy during the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto in 1943 as the catalyst for a narrative that weaves together the personal stories of victims and perpetrators meant to prompt reflection about the Holocaust and the complexities of historical memory. The author roots the book in substantial historical sources but admittedly employs historical imagination - sometimes inventing interior reflections, for example, or filling in blank spaces with composite historical...more
Shawn
I will have to join other reviewers in calling the title of this book a bit of a cheat. It is only about the boy in the photo in an abstract way; the bulk of the book deals with the lives of people on both sides of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. On one hand, we follow the experiences of a Jewish woman who survived the ghetto and narrowly escaped ending up in Treblinka. On the other hand is Jürgen Stroop, who oversaw the liquidation of the ghetto, and Josef Blösche, one of the soldiers in the iconic...more
Farah Nabil
This is one of the best books written about WW 2. It keeps readers at the edge of their seat at every moment. It takes you on a breathtaking journey back in time to Warsaw. This book will make you cry because you'll feel like you're part of it and that the book is a part of you too.

I highly recommend this book to all those who are interested in World History, Nazi Ideology and Holocaust Survival stories.
Debbie
A real disappointment, this book. The author reconstructs the story and lives of the people in a famous photograph of the Warsaw Ghetto. What could have been a very compelling book is marred by authorial overreaching. Porat acknowledges that he has ascribed words and thoughts to people that they never said or had, but assures the reader that it's still history, not historical fiction. Most disturbing, the reader wouldn't even know about the liberties he's taken unless they carefully read the foo...more
Doug
Another reviewer said that the title was misleading. Maybe, but the story comes full circle to the boy in the iconic holocaust photograph. This is really a recounting of the events leading to the destruction of the Warsaw Ghetto and it's inhabitants. It is not as dramatic as Uris' Mila 18 or John Hershey's The Wall but it is riveting in it's own way. Rather unique, I thought, in that it presented a good deal of biographical information on several of the SS thugs who were participants in this atr...more
Erin
I am NOT a non-fiction reader but this was an exception . . . "The Boy" reads like a novel . . . it's a sad-but-interesting time in world history, and the story here is one that sucks you in, wanting to know what happens next.
Louise Silk
I have read every holocaust book available and this is the latest one. It is excellent. Dan Porat explores the history of a photo from the Warsaw Ghetto of a little boy with his hands raised in response to Nazi soldiers. Porat writes the background history for the particular Nazis involved, the boy, and some of the other victims. It begins with each of their lives before the war and then takes each though to their deaths. It was particularly interesting and novel to have the Nazi soldiers includ...more
Kerri
This is an interesting take: telling the stories of people from a famous photograph. It was very informative, and while I liked the narrative as opposed to a massive avalanche of just fact after fact, sometimes it was hard to keep everybody straight and what exactly they had each done. Plus, at times I felt the author was attempting to make the telling More emotional, when the content already does that enough on its own.

It doesn't really feel right to say, "I liked this book!" but it was well w...more
Jen Wahl kilmer
Amazing, amazing book. I am dissapointed that they don't know for sure who he was but the book is still fantastic. Should be required reading...
Cassandra
Like another reviewer, I think the title is a bit misleading. The book isn't really about The Boy, but about one Jewish woman and several SS officers. Some of the details were horrific. However, I felt like the book was rather dry. Yes, I cried. But the facts were presented as more of a list than a story. The author tried to fill in details when presented with holes in the historical accounts but it is not clear what exactly was fiction and what was fact.

I don't know how to review this book. I g...more
Rekha
Porat takes the iconic photograph of a young Jewish boy who is raising his hands up in terror during World War II and investigates the people in the photograph. Who is the boy? Who are the soldiers? Where did they come from and where did they end up? Porat uses photographs throughout the book, emphasizing the Nazi practice of documenting their own heinous actions. I have read many books about the Holocaust and World War II, but this one was sickening even in relation to many others.
Janette Mcmahon
Interesting biography of the boy who is in one of the most recognizable photographs of World War II. The entire process of searching for the people in the photograph and learning their fate was also interesting. The writing was readable which is something that is important if the book is being marketed to general nonfiction readers versus academics. I would recommend to readers of Holocaust or even general readers of World War II nonfiction.
Margaret Sankey
Affecting microhistory tracking the six intersecting lives captured in an iconic photograph from the Stroop Report, a commemorative album of the suppression of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. Porat recreates, as far as he can, the context and biographies, as well as the afterlife of the photos--as evidence at the Nuremberg Trials, as museum and archive displays, and as family history reclaimed by survivors and their families.
Luka De
"The Boy: A holocaust Story" by Dan Porat is a very descriptive book and it describes how the nazi armies took over all over Europe, but specifically over Poland and Austria because thats where the books is focused the most on. The book talks about different family struggles who interact with the dangerous Nazi soldiers who almost killed their children and who almost sent them to concentration camps in order for cremation.
Ruth
I thought this book was well written and gave a additional view of WW II. This was one of many books that I have read on the Holocaust. The author opened your eye's to the investigations after the war and the years of hard work to bring war criminals to justice. It does not seem right to say you enjoyed the book because of the topic but I did.
Cheri Popelka
I really like that the perspective of this book was looked at from several different people. I have read a few books about the Holocaust and never have read one from the German perspective. While I can't imagine the sort of hate that the Nazi soldiers possessed, it did make the book a bit more multi-demensional. Very good and fast read!
Cheri
Just received this today....if the book is half as good as the preface, I'm in for a great book!!

WOW!!!! WHAT A BOOK!!! This book was fascinating and so well-written. It went by so quickly, though!!!!! Tragic stories from Holocaust victims, Nazi perpetrators of torture and murder, and uplifting stories of survivors.
Allyson Faith
I read this not only because of my interest in the Holocaust but because it focuses on an iconic photograh through which to tell a story. This was Mike's approach with his book about the Jackson, MISS 1963 sit-in, and I was curious to see how another author approached a story this way.
Christopher Louis
Not exactly the story I was anticipating, but still a worth while account and investigation into the lives of several Jewish residents of the Warsaw Ghetto and some of the Nazi officers who worked to liquidate it.
Elaine
A fascinating account of the lives that were interwoven based on this well-known photograph from the holocaust. The author did some amazing and very thorough detective work. Very well done.
Janna
The combination of researched fact and imagined fiction worked in this book. More stories about people around the boy in the photo than the boy himself.
Judy Chessin
I was interested in the story of the people, but didn't feel that the boy "story" was tied together. Also, PLEASE label the pictures.
Jayw
Study of the liquidation of the Warsaw ghetto focused on the people and events seen in iconic photo of terrorized little boy.
K2kast
I couldn't get in to this and quit reading within 50 pages.