Start by marking “The Chaos Balance” as Want to Read:
The Chaos Balance

The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  3,370 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The saga of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr., has become one of the standard works of fantasy in the 1990s. VOYA says, "Modesitt's logical structure of the interrelationship of order and chaos, magic and technology, is one of the most through in modern fantasy. The personal growth of his characters and the depiction of their world, it well-written and credible - and involves ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Fantasy (first published August 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Chaos Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chaos Balance

John
Katy M
This one isn't for everyone as it's more philosophy than adventure.

I never put spoilers in my reviews.
This book can be dry but it's invaluable in understanding this world Modesitt has built. The ending is a climactic as any would wish.
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. writes epic fantasy with political commentary overtones. His world building is impeccable, taking the familiar and giving it a unique twist.
His protagonists are usually underdogs who don't fit into the mold cast for them by others in some way, c
Tim
The main character goes through events that are just the same as people have gone through in earlier books. Yeah, this book is farther in the past so Nylan did them first, but that doesn't change the fact that this book is just a rehash of previous material. Not worth reading.
Liviu
Final book of the second Recluce duology as chronology goes - Nylan becomes the first Black Wizard and has to face the might of Cyador and its white wizards; superb conclusion to the story staretd in Fall of Angels
Kivutar
Tantor is releasing all the books on Audio so I am "re-reading" these books as they are released. This is my second, third, fifth, who knows how many times to read these books. This series is absolutely one of my favorites and deserves a high spot on everyone's book shelf.

Fall of Angels and The Chaos Balance are a pairing within the series, they are books 6 and 7 in release chronological order and books 3 and 4 in date chronological order.

This book details the eviction of Nylan from the Roof of
Leigh
Really liked this one!
Fredrick Danysh
The battle between Chaos and Balance continue as Nylan leaves the Top of the World with his son and the healer Ayrlyn to avoid conformation with the Marshall in a country increasing becoming intolerant of men. Traveling to Lornth which becomes embattled in a war to survive. While of the Recluse series the story centers on other societies.
Kurtbg
More on chaos and order and fallen angels.
The story of Nylan continues on. Not much progresses, just more of the story moving on.
Bob
This one also wanders. The characters get painted into some corners and then are magically out of the corners. The ultimate resolution is somewhat expected given the other books in the series of course.
Jeremy Preacher
I really want to like this more than I do. The characters are fine - a couple with a kid, for a change - and the adventuring is reasonably epic, but it really never comes together for me. I'd be much more interested in what happens immediately after this (which we get, to some extent, in Arms-Commander, but the real founding of Naclos is the part that's missing here.)

It is interesting to see the degenerate descendants of Cyador, given that those books are among my very favorites, but they're red
Moebius Machiavelli
I gotta admit these books were always reminiscent for me of Michael Moorcock's eternal champion series. What can I say the perpetual battle between law and chaos make for a common thread. While I enjoy his fantasy work... Modesitt's Sci-Fi is at times bordering on epic. That's a lot coming from me.
Ethan Beck
Excellent. I'm reading (for the first time) the Recluce saga in Chronological order (as listed via Google at Amazon). Thoroughly epic novel and by far the most enjoyable so far. The scope of the novel reaches into the distant past makes clear aspects of the development of the planet and its civilisations. This is a long book and was very hard to put down.
Miles
As always, Modesitt delivers political maneuvering, well realized characters, and a complex, consistent world. Not the sort of story for those who want the hero to bash the villain on the head a then live happily ever after. Another great installment in the Saga of Recluce.
Steven Allen
So far one of my favorite books in the Recluse series. I like how this book explained a lot of the earlier books, clarifying the difference between order and chaos. This author is one of a few that I like which can combine SciFi with Fantasy.
Gordon
Good continuation of the series and background into how the druids of naclos came about. Though every time i read the little inserts of colors of wite i wanted to sslap someone lol
Myles Harrold
Good read. I am reading these books back to back and they are getting to be a little too similar.
Rayda
I liked this sequel to Nylan's story in "The Fall of Angels." The "Angel" books are my favorites.
Frode
Yet another one I reread prompted by reading #16 in the series. Good as always.
Ron
Ending still too abrupt, but sets up parts of rest of series nicely.
Randy Pursley
A pretty good book. The end was kind of rushed and contrived.
Peter
Vastly enjoyable series due tothe depth of the world building
Mike
Enjoyed reading the back story
Karen
Book #2 in chronology.
Nate
great series
Eve Pfitzinger
Eve Pfitzinger marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
  • Fortress of Owls (Fortress, #3)
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • Beyond Ragnarok (Renshai Chronicles, #1)
  • Queen of Demons (Lord of the Isles, #2)
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • The Dragon's Son (The Dragonvarld Trilogy, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)

“technology enabled mercy,” 0 likes