Start by marking “How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The "New York Times" bestseller that provides a simple, proven approach to improve accountability and the bottom line.
The economy crashes, the government misfires, businesses fail, leaders don't lead, managers don't manage, and people don't follow through, leaving us asking, "How did that happen?"
Surprises caused by a lack of personal accountability plague almost every
Published August 11th 2009 by Portfolio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How Did That Happen?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Did That Happen?

Rich
How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way by Roger Conners and Tom Smith is my most recent non-kindle read book. I say that because this is a prime example of a book that’s better on paper than on a kindle because I was constantly going back to previous pages, underlining, circling, and generally marking up the book. While I’m sure I’ll get used to those things on a kindle, this book’s scars from my reading and writing in it are proof enough that p ...more
Mike Tobin
This does a really great job of speaking about working with others to help obtain whatever mission you may have.
I used the principles in conjunction with my end of the year goal setting to establish Goals, Vision, and Key expectation to reach the mission. You may not look at this book (audio is the version I used) to work with Goals and Mission, but I think this is the missing link to things we have done with our team in the past.
You can have your Goals and Vision set out, but if you are leading
Rich
Robert Chapman
This book was released after The OZ Principle and I found it to be a logical companion to The OZ Principle. The OZ Principle focused upon accountability - what it is, how it can practically work, and the benefits it will bring. This book deals with accountability as it relates to expectations in terms of setting them and how to deal with situations where they are not met.

I saw the same theme in this book as I did in The OZ Principle in that it challenged me to fist look inward before I looked ou
Gene Babon
Accountable people get results. Accountable cultures produce results. If you work for a living, and other people are involved in the process, then this book is a must read, both for you and for others in your organziation.

"How Did That Happen?" shows you how to hold others accountable for delivering on expectations in a positive, principled way that delivers results. The authors present a systematic framework for establishing expectations (The Outer Ring) and dealing with unmet expectations (The
Arianna
Okay, despite my initial grumbling, this actually turned out to be a pretty good book! I am impressed, particularly because I do NOT enjoy business in any way, shape, or form. The introduction was VERY dry and difficult to get through, but once you got into the actual meat of the book, the authors began to weave stories in amongst their advice, and it was really great. A lot of the stories I am sure will stick with me, and I learned some valuable non-management information, too! Such as that the ...more
Brianne
While a simple read, this book offers a process for holding folks accountable. Stemming from the fallout of the Hurricane Katrina administration through FEMA, the book recognizes that people need to become responsible for not only finding out what they need to do, but also for sharing expectations of themselves and of others to complete tasks/jobs. This book is more for a person in a leadership position within an organization, rather than a subordinate. The most telling part of the book for me w ...more
Eric Anest
How Did That Happen? is written by two management consultants who seek to share their wisdom on how to set expectations and hold people accountable (or rather, encourage them to take accountability for themselves).

The authors have many wise points to make, and I'm glad I took the time to read the book. My biggest complaint is that they have developed a specialized vocabulary of capitalized terms--Inner Ring, Outer Ring, Above the Line, etc.--that they seem to think people will actually use. The
Michael Waller
The third book in the OZ series which provides more insight into how to improve the business through cultural modification. The three-book series offers some very good, even if common-sense, points that can be used by almost anyone.
Mike Walters
I liked the concepts that were presented and I have already taken "inspect what you expect" to heart. I just struggled to get into a good flow while reading this book.
Amy Mueller
Read this with the other managers at work. I wasn't going to include it in my list of books read this year, but I did read it, and did learn some things - so figured it 'counted'. :)
Shana Berry buchanan

Details the reason behind telling your employees the 'why' behind your organization or project in order for them to take accountability and ownership ns open communication.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on human resources for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
John Poikonen
Pharmacy Leadership Academy list
Lynette
Just couln't get into this one.
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Faraaz Nishtar
Faraaz Nishtar marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Vaibhav
Vaibhav marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Donna Kling
Donna Kling marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Dave Anderson
Dave Anderson marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Andrew Jung
Andrew Jung marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Brandon Bernardoni
Brandon Bernardoni marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Jimmy Teong
Jimmy Teong marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Jerry Deruiter
Jerry Deruiter marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
JB
JB marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Derrick Bernard
Derrick Bernard marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Week 6 - Conclusion 1 2 Jun 30, 2014 03:26PM
Week 4 - Chapters 7&8 - Question 2 1 2 Jun 10, 2014 07:44AM
Week 4 - Chapter 8 1 2 Jun 10, 2014 07:31AM
  • Mentoring 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • The Human Side of Enterprise, Annotated Edition
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Crucial Accountability: Tools for Resolving Violated Expectations, Broken Commitments, and Bad Behavior, Second Edition
  • Redesigning Leadership
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • The Male Factor [Faith-Based Edition]: The Unwritten Rules, Misperceptions, and Secret Beliefs of Men in the Workplace
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results Journey to the Emerald City The Wisdom of Oz: Using Personal Accountability to Succeed in Everything You Do Oz Power Pack: The Oz Principle/Journey to the Emerald City (Smart Tapes)