Start by marking “Bar Balto” as Want to Read:
Bar Balto

Bar Balto

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  13 reviews
'Bar Balto' is a whodunit set in a dead end town near Paris. Joel, the very unpopular owner of the only bar in town, has been murdered. When he is found dead in his flat, naked, covered with multiple stab wounds and surrounded by rivers of blood, it's not so much a question of who killed him but who didn't kill him."
Published August 24th 2011 by Chatto & Windus (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bar Balto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bar Balto

Should of been able to fly through this book since it was only 160 pages. It took me four days to read this book.

Thought it was going to be funny wasn't in the slightest, very disappointing.
Alan Pottinger
My hat goes off to the translator of this book - good little read, enjoyed this alternative whodunnit - well worth a look and had me chuckling in places and certainly had me wanting to complete to find out the answer to the mystery innit ;-)
June Seghni
This is the second book I have read by this young French-algerian author and I enjoyed it a lot..a body is found and a host of neighbourhood characters give their account of themselves. It's not a murder mystery really, more like a series of character studies, and written in a particular vernacular of the young. Kudos to the translators, turning the street french of the banlieues into an equally refreshing english slang..I'm guessing it's vaguely south London but am far too old to know these thi ...more
Je suis franchement déçue par ce bouquin. J'avais bien aimé les deux premiers romans de Faïza Guène, je les avais trouvés sympathiques, même s'ils ne cassaient pas trois pattes à un canard unijambiste, mais celui-là est raté. L'auteur en a trop rajouté dans le côté "roman choral", les différences d'expression entre les personnages sont outrées, et la fin (qui a tué le patron du bar) arrive comme un cheveu sur la soupe.
I didn't actually buy this for me to read, but after my son lost interest in it I gave it a go. I had liked another book she has written, Just Like Tomorrow. However this one felt a bit forced into the structure of successive monologues from the characters. The outcome was a bit....hmmm. Interesting perspective on the immigrant experience in France though.
Emer Tannam
I don't want to give this book even one star. It was boring, pointless drivel. The only reason I finished it was so I could write this review slating it. This book made me angry with the author for wasting my time.
Lu en audio (interprété par plusieurs comédiens). Bin j'ai adoré.
This book is a little bit silly. But I still liked it. It's good to catch up on my French slang. I also like the way Faiza Guene simultaneously mocks and has compassion for her characters.
A short book that I enjoyed a lot. More than a crime novel it's the choral tale of a god-forsaken hole in the Parisian suburb; each voice is spot-on. A young author to follow!
Really liked this little book. Parisian social commentary + whodunnit.
Valerie De Boel
Valerie De Boel marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Jill marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Beckie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Catarina marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Scary is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Annie Persson
Annie Persson marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Faïza Guène is a French writer and director. Born to parents of Algerian origin, she grew up in Pantin, in the north-eastern suburbs of Paris. She attended Collège Jean Jaurès followed by Lycée Marcelin Berthelot in Pantin. She began studies in sociology at Université Paris VIII, in St-Denis, before abandoning them to pursue writing and directing full-time.

Her first novel, "Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow" w
More about Faïza Guène...