Start by marking “Bar Balto” as Want to Read:
Bar Balto

Bar Balto

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
'Bar Balto' is a whodunit set in a dead end town near Paris. Joel, the very unpopular owner of the only bar in town, has been murdered. When he is found dead in his flat, naked, covered with multiple stab wounds and surrounded by rivers of blood, it's not so much a question of who killed him but who didn't kill him."
Published August 24th 2011 by Chatto & Windus (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bar Balto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bar Balto

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel BarberySarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnayChocolat by Joanne HarrisA Very Long Engagement by Sébastien JaprisotHunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda
France in Contemporary Fiction
141st out of 197 books — 143 voters
Possession of My Soul by Kia Carrington-RussellPhantom Wolf by Kia Carrington-RussellEragon by Christopher PaoliniMarked by P.C. CastUntamed by Madeline Dyer
Young Authors
48th out of 124 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt Hunt
An enjoyably odd insight into the lives of various people living in a Parisian suburb. Poverty, depression, racism and all the fun stuff.
An average at best detective novel but an excellent bit of cultural/class tourism!
Ellen
Apr 04, 2014 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Should of been able to fly through this book since it was only 160 pages. It took me four days to read this book.

Thought it was going to be funny wasn't in the slightest, very disappointing.
Alan Pottinger
My hat goes off to the translator of this book - good little read, enjoyed this alternative whodunnit - well worth a look and had me chuckling in places and certainly had me wanting to complete to find out the answer to the mystery innit ;-)
Melusine Parry
absolutely excellent translation by the great Sarah Ardizzone. The book in itself is ok, a bit caricatured.
June Seghni
Jan 04, 2015 June Seghni rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read by this young French-algerian author and I enjoyed it a lot..a body is found and a host of neighbourhood characters give their account of themselves. It's not a murder mystery really, more like a series of character studies, and written in a particular vernacular of the young. Kudos to the translators, turning the street french of the banlieues into an equally refreshing english slang..I'm guessing it's vaguely south London but am far too old to know these thi ...more
Damon
Jan 31, 2015 Damon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favourites
DETeCTIVE
Anna
Feb 12, 2010 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Je suis franchement déçue par ce bouquin. J'avais bien aimé les deux premiers romans de Faïza Guène, je les avais trouvés sympathiques, même s'ils ne cassaient pas trois pattes à un canard unijambiste, mais celui-là est raté. L'auteur en a trop rajouté dans le côté "roman choral", les différences d'expression entre les personnages sont outrées, et la fin (qui a tué le patron du bar) arrive comme un cheveu sur la soupe.
Paul
Oct 08, 2013 Paul rated it it was ok
I didn't actually buy this for me to read, but after my son lost interest in it I gave it a go. I had liked another book she has written, Just Like Tomorrow. However this one felt a bit forced into the structure of successive monologues from the characters. The outcome was a bit....hmmm. Interesting perspective on the immigrant experience in France though.
Emer Tannam
I don't want to give this book even one star. It was boring, pointless drivel. The only reason I finished it was so I could write this review slating it. This book made me angry with the author for wasting my time.
mlle-cassis
Dec 19, 2014 mlle-cassis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lu en audio (interprété par plusieurs comédiens). Bin j'ai adoré.
Eleanor
This book is a little bit silly. But I still liked it. It's good to catch up on my French slang. I also like the way Faiza Guene simultaneously mocks and has compassion for her characters.
Chani
May 24, 2009 Chani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short book that I enjoyed a lot. More than a crime novel it's the choral tale of a god-forsaken hole in the Parisian suburb; each voice is spot-on. A young author to follow!
Zack
Jul 09, 2016 Zack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, cultural, 2013
Det mp vara en bok om en mordgåta men det känns lite som Cluedo. Handlar mycket om karaktärerna och deras roller i vardagens Balto.
Ruth
Dec 21, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it
Really liked this little book. Parisian social commentary + whodunnit.
Lubna
Lubna marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Jake Ballinger
Jake Ballinger rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Ethel Åslund
Ethel Åslund marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Bc
Bc rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Petite_bookworm
Petite_bookworm rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Siân Mackie
Siân Mackie marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Johanna
Johanna rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Justine
Justine rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Faïza Guène is a French writer and director. Born to parents of Algerian origin, she grew up in Pantin, in the north-eastern suburbs of Paris. She attended Collège Jean Jaurès followed by Lycée Marcelin Berthelot in Pantin. She began studies in sociology at Université Paris VIII, in St-Denis, before abandoning them to pursue writing and directing full-time.

Her first novel, "Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow" w
More about Faïza Guène...