Start by marking “The Bear in the Attic” as Want to Read:
The Bear in the Attic

The Bear in the Attic

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Now in paperback, the beloved humorist’s latest and funniest collection of essays ever—“McManus at his curmudgeonly best” (Spokane Spokesman-Review)

Patrick F. McManus’s wry wit has made him an American classic, his trademark outdoorsman’s humor endearing him not only to fellow wilderness enthusiasts but to anyone who enjoys a good laugh. In his newest collection of hilario
Published June 1st 2003 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Bear in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear in the Attic

Rob
I started listening to the audiobook, and while there was nothing wrong with the stories I just couldn't stand the narrator. He just sounded cranky with me, and I couldn't handle the guilt. I'd recommend the book if you want to read it.
Florence
So far, so good! I love Patrick McManus' books, they are so funny and enjoyable for a quick read before bed, I always end up laughing out loud and waking Brent!
Judy
Enjoyable collection of essays about the outdoors. Reminds me of the everyday absurdies that surround us.
AnnieM
Entertaining, but I have to lay off the short stories. I liked it except for the narrator. If it makes me giggle I'm sure it's hilarious for others.
Dad
Pat's getting old, but he's still mildly funny.
Everett
Apr 23, 2008 Everett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a great companion read (to have around to pick up for a few minutes or a half hour)-especially if you have any affinity for the outdoors. This collection of essays/short stories covers a wide range of life experiences exaggerated expertly as only McManus can. The trade review mentions Dave Barry and Garrison Kiellor which I believe to be pretty accurate associative comparisons and some pretty heady company. If you enjoy a good laugh and the warmth of a well-told story, give it some time.
Donald
I've been reading McManus for 20 years now, at this point it is a given that I'll read anything he publishes. This collection includes several stories from his childhood, which tend to be my favorites. “Crazy Eddy” is back, along with Rancid Crabtree, “The Troll”, and others. McManus does tend to recycle some punchlines, but there is enough fresh material to make it worth reading, even if (like me) you have read everything he has written multiple times.
Jessica
I absolutely loved the first story and listened to the c.d. 3 times. I even had my son listen to the story too. Everytime I hear the name "Chucky" and imagine the bear growling "Maaa...maaa!" it just makes me laugh. I have to give the narrator, Norman Dietz, a hand. He was spectacular.

I still remember Dave Mellander who used to read Patrick McManus stories to me while we car pooled to Smokey Point. I'm sure he's smiling down on me from heaven.
April Hochstrasser
This is a book of short stories about hunting and fishing. I listened on CD. The reader truly has a gift and I saw the action in my mind. I loved the first short story about the bear in the attic. Later short stories got a little repetitive, but individually they were funny. Taken as a whole, I had to take a break and get back to them. There are only so many fish stories I can take in one sitting.
Kelly
I love Patrick McManus's books! They are laugh out loud funny! I guess because I love the outdoors and I always went exploring as a kid. I think his stories are just so funny! These stories are great for the car because they are all short stories. Of course with all of his books some stories are better than others but definitely a must read for outdoor enthusiasts.
Natalie
Every one of Pat McManus's books are hilarious. They are short stories or essays that are especially fun to read in the car. And its nice that you can read them quick and don't have to commit to a huge whole story every time you pick up the book. We love them and always keep a couple in the car for trips or just for a quick laugh.
Dave Beebe
Having been raised on McManus since I was young, I had certain expectations about this collection of short (extremely short) stories. Not as witty as his earlier work, but still good for a chuckle or two. Nobody captures the humor of the outdoors quite like McManus.
The book isn't a continuous read, really, more like a collection of short stories. It's as if the author is telling stories around the campfire. Some of the stories are better than others (like the first chapter, also named as the title of the book). :)
Connie
A book full of essays about the author's life in Idaho. He is a terrific writer. I loved his style and laugh out loud stories. couldn't relate on some level because I don't fish or hunt, but I liked them and will try to find his first book.
Drew
Nov 06, 2009 Drew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Any McManus book is worth a read. For a real treat listen to the book narrated by Norman Dietz. There is no way to listen to his narration and not laugh out loud. We take these on family car trips. Mom and Dad and the kids love them.
Laurel
This isn't the best of Pat. A few of the stories are noteworthy, but overall the book really isn't anything super special. The title story was probably the least entertaining one in the book. Not a waste of time, but not a good choice.
Millerbug
I love McManus's books! They are so funny! Especially if your in outdoorsmen (or woman). I love his stories about Crazy Eddie Muldoon from his childhood and his stories about Rancid Crabtree. This book was hysterical! I totally enjoyed it!
Catherine Richmond
The Bear in the Attic is a collection of short, humorous essays about hunting, fishing, camping, and growing up in Idaho. Recommended for anyone who needs a good laugh, but especially men who enjoyed those pursuits.
William
Not my favorite of McManus' works. This seems to have a lot of rehashed stories told from a little different angle in it. His writing style seems a little tired as well. The early books are great though.
Rebecca
I absolutely love Patrick McManus' books. This one is no different. Not only was he a favorite author of my Grandpa's, but I imagine my future kids getting into similar antics. Great fun reading!
Patricia
This author is good for falling down, rolling on the floor belly laughs at the rate of about 1.7 per paragraph. The title essay is one of his longer pieces and IMHO each word is to be savored.
Kaci
So far not as good as Rubber legs..still amusing though. One thing I like about these is that the stories are short. I can't keep my eyes open anymore for more than about 20 minutes.
Carla Martz
Many humorous stories. I enjoyed it, but probably would be enjoyed more by a hunting and fishing enthusiest. Would read another, just not back-to-back.
Jennifer Hughes
Jul 19, 2008 Jennifer Hughes rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dave Barry, Garrison Keillor fans
Laugh-out-loud funny. I love Patrick McManus's low-key humor. Like all of his books, some stories are funnier than others, but they are all enjoyable.
Sara
This is a charming essay collection by humorist Patrick McManus that I lucked into finding on audiotape at the library, some of them were laugh out loud funny!
Jim
a storyteller along the lines of garrison keillor, jean shepherd and tom bodett. but read/listen to them instead.
Dave
Pat McManus is hilarious, and this is a great collection of short stories! Really laugh-out-loud funny stuff in here.
Londa
A tribute to my semi-rural roots. I laughed like crazy over these simple huntin' and fishin' stories.
Karolinde (Kari)
This is not my favorite of his collections, but it is still good for a laugh or 30.
Glenn Wright
Great humor. Love audiobooks. I don't even have to visit the library anymore .
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Kevin Kling's Holiday Inn
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book
  • Women at War
  • Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season
  • NPR Funniest Driveway Moments: Radio Stories That Won't Let You Go
  • The Thinking Machine
  • The Case of the Missing Cat (Hank the Cowdog, #15)
  • My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A Gun
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore
  • Red Lobster, White Trash, & the Blue Lagoon: Joe Queenan's America
Patrick F. McManus is an American outdoor humor writer. A humor columnist for Outdoor Life and other magazines, his columns have been collected in several books.

Series:
* Sheriff Bo Tully
More about Patrick F. McManus...
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? A Fine and Pleasant Misery Never Sniff A Gift Fish The Grasshopper Trap The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

“It's been a long, hard day, and bit by bit you have been transformed into a single, vertical, barely ambulatory ache. All that awaits you now is another long, lonely night on the hard, cold ground. "What am I doing out here?" you ask yourself. "I must be mad!" Indeed, you are mad. Otherwise right now you could be warm and cozy and stretched out in front of your beloved TV, munching popcorn and swigging down ice-cold brew, just like a civilized person. "Oh well," you sigh to yourself. "I'd better stop and get a fire going.” 8 likes