Start by marking “The Cask of Amontillado” as Want to Read:

The Cask of Amontillado

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  43,341 Ratings  ·  668 Reviews
No illustrations.
Nook, 7 pages
Published October 15th 2010 by Baxter St. (first published November 1846)

To ask other readers questions about The Cask of Amontillado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cask of Amontillado

Glenn Russell
Sep 02, 2015 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic tale of revenge. Since there are dozens of posts here, my review will take a particular slant: what German pessimistic philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer has to say about the psychology of revenge and how the revengeful narrator in Poe’s tale relates to Schopenhauer’s insights.

Schopenhauer says we all suffer as the result of nature or chance but, as humans, we recognizes that is simply the way life works. He then writes, “Suffering caused by t
Sabah
Dec 12, 2015 Sabah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm making a list
I'm checking it twice
I'm going to find out who's naughty and nice
So they can share a tipple of Amontillado with me ;)

cindy
I didn't seem to learn my lesson. Do not listen to Edgar Allan Poe audiobook when you think you are alone! It will give you arrhythmia. For sure.

Yeah, I did that (again) during lunch break, it was quite, so I took my phone, put my earphones and listen to this, The Cask of Amontadillo (I read The Sherlockian a while ago and it was mention by ACD character, hence 'curious'). Closed my eyes... and listened.

Arrhythmia!!

The story itself was rather straight point. Fortnato did something that insult Mo
Tweety
Don't read this at night!

I'm not quite sure what I think of this, I like Poe, I like his words, his spine tingling suspense and his gothic aproch. But what was this? I will never, ever go down into the catacombs. Ever. Not like this sorry soul...

It was horrid, and very good. But I don't entirely understand what happened and why, so three stars is about right. I liked The Raven better.
Mahdi
در اين داستان، به خلاف قلب رازگو، انگيزه ى قتل چندان مهم نيست. بيشتر صحنه پردازى و فضاسازى اهميت دارد. آلن پو همان اول به شما مى گويد كه قرار است قتلى رخ دهد و در ادامه، با دانستن اين حقيقت وحشتناك، به راحتى فضايى تاريك و وحشت انگيز مى آفريند.
توصيه: اين داستان در تاريكى شب و تنها بخوانيد.
Fernando
Sep 25, 2015 Fernando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unos de los cuentos de venganza más logrados de Edgar Allan Poe. Por cuestiones de spoiler, no puede uno comentar mucho acerca del cuento, pero sí establecer que si algo caracterizaba a Poe era esa genialidad para los finales de sus cuentos. Es por ello que el formato de cuento moderno existe a partir de él.
Tayler Boswell
Dec 19, 2015 Tayler Boswell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
Of the handful of Poe stories and poems I've read, unfortunately this one is my least favorite.

I know that Poe likes to just drop readers into a storyline with very little context, but I wasn't a fan of that strategy in this particular story. I had a constant stream of "what the hell"s running through my mind as I read this.

However, the creepiness and downright terror is still alive and well in this one. Though it's of a different variety than, say, House of Usher, it's still just as effective.
Kelly
Apr 14, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the only thing I enjoyed reading at Catholic school. A fellow student's scribbled creative curses on the margins of our religion class handouts nonwithstanding. Poe's atmospheric talents are undeniable- the man even inspired Baudelaire with a new level of excitement (the dark, brooding kind of course) about how dark life can be. It shall thrill my inner 14 year old heart forever.
Summer
I didn't realize Poe wrote this until people started dying morbidly.
Andrei Tamaş
Odioasă crimă şi răzbunare simbolista...
Emadeddin
description

يا قلبي عليك يا فورتوناتو!!
ما هذه النفسية السوداوية البنفسجية الجحيمية للمختل العقلي مونتريسور!

description

أحداث عجيبة .. وقصة غريبة جداً! غريبة لأنها على الرغم من ظلاميتها وعتهها إلا أنها رائعة فوق الوصف!
لا أستطيع أن أقول أن القصة غير حقيقية أو غير واقعية .. أو أنها من نسج الخيال المريض للكاتب العجيب إدجار آلان بو! بل على العكس تماماً، بالنسبة لي فأنا أرى هذه القصة حقيقية جداً، وأبعد ما تكون عن الخيال!

فكما نعلم جميعاً، هذه هي عادة الأدب .. يواجهنا بكل جرأة وجسارة وصراحة ووضوح بحقيقتنا البشرية الضعيفة التي
Zulu
Nov 13, 2012 Zulu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brr! This one leaves a chill up your spine, doesn't it? All the more so since we don't know why Montressor does it. Was he really wronged by Fortunado, or was it simply a matter of luck shining more brightly on another man? Fortunado is in the Masons, his family is large and prosperous, where Montressor's is in decline. But what could Fortunado alone have done in order to cause that? It seems to be the work of ages, and it's just that Montressor blames Fortunado because he's a symbol.

I like all
علی
داستان "چیلیک آمونتیلادو" توسط احمد میرعلایی به فارسی ترجمه شده است. احمد گلشیری هم با نام "بشکه ی آمونتیلادو" آن را ترجمه کرده است که در مجموعه ی داستان و نقد داستان چاپ شده.
Ken Moten
Jul 30, 2012 Ken Moten rated it it was amazing

My 2nd review of Poe is (not surprisingly) my 2nd favorite Poe book. This book was read for 11th grade English and I have to say that this better than expected book came out of a better than expected class-but that is for another story.

(view spoiler) Well, as I have just finished reading Crime and Punishment, this book loomed heavy on my mind. I don't know if Fyodor Dostoyevsky had ever picked up this book but the similarities and differences
Annika
This story was chilling, creepy, disturbing, and definitely well written. This is the first Edgar Allen Poe I've read, and I am not quite sure if I will read anymore. They are just a bit too weird for me, and almost incomprehensible. The excellent use of foreshadowing and suspense was great, however.

Content: PG - Violence, very scary themes
Sarah Marie
5 stars
I had to read this for school and I absolutely loved it. Maybe the reason I enjoyed it so much was because I read it for school and we talked about irony. Talking about the story made me think more into it and now I think it's brilliant. I had already been intrigued, but the story just proved to be amazing.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 5

Plotastic Scale: 5

Character Scale: 5
Jean
The Cask of Amontillado (1846) is a brief story story by Edgar Allan Poe. It is told by an unreliable narrator, just as "The Black Cat" and "The Tell-tale Heart" are. It includes a favourite theme of Poe, which he had also used in "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1839) and "The Black Cat" (1846) - that of (view spoiler)

The story is entirely about revenge, the bottle of sherry merely being a device to entrap the victim. Although there is a theory that the sto
Sarah ~
لم ترقني كثيرا ..
غريبة ..
كمية الحقد التي تعتمل في نفس البطل
غريبة ..
وتدفعه لدفن غريمه حياً ..
لم افهمها جيدا مما اضطرني أن أقرأها من نسختين مختلفتين ..
Natalie
Apr 06, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The classic tale of revenge.

I must not only punish, but punish with impunity.

I would say, that if people aren't familiar with the story, they are at least familiar with the end result.

This is one of Poe's most famous and it's definitely captivating. As usual, the setting and the details are what bring the true horror to life.
Hensley
Mar 06, 2010 Hensley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Cask of Amontillado" - the story that introduced me to Mr. Poe and his dark-ingenuity. Actually, his first work that I have read. I was 18 then some time ten years ago.

The story is placid and dark as velvet. Deception at its finest interpretation. The image of death in progress, a seem-to-be-pause until the end. Something you will not see in any regular story.

If you are young to understand the word revenge, do not read it. Also, if you are narrowminded to morbidness. I suggest you grab a d
Jill
Sep 07, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This one was certainly not my favorite, but it was masterfully written. There are wonderful tools of symbolism and foreshadowing. It's a pity I don't know Latin or French, because Poe tends to shower these throughout his pieces, and without translations, they mean little to me. Again, the iconic elements - seemingly motiveless revenge, the narrator also being the murderer, etc. Terrifying that the human imagination can conjure up this sort of image, and perhaps the most disturbing bit is how the ...more
Karen
Dec 26, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
'In pace requiescat!'
Damn, I got actual chills reading that line. Okay, maybe that's due to my unhealthy amount of time playing the second Assassin's Creed games, which take place in Italy, but so much of this story reminded me of those games.

This is the story of a man, Montressor, who vows revenge on Fortunato. The latter acts like a pompous aristocrat, whose family is doing well financially and who even scoffs at a man named Luchesi for being unable to distinguish one drink from another. An
Chris Merten
The Cask of Amontillado, written by Edgar Allan Poe, shows the style of psychology and the effect of arrogance of his characters. I found this story very confusing and not fun to read because of the Italian phrases used in it.

The plot of The Cask of Amontillado is very fast paced. The story springs into the rising action as the main character talks to Fortunato about the amontillado. The story jumps into its climax after they go to find the amontillado. The reader, eventually, realizes this is a
Dayna
Oct 03, 2015 Dayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious and Gripping.
Paul
Sep 24, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
A story about revenge. I enjoyed this, as I enjoy most of Poe's work. I find his prose to be simple but lyrical to my senses. I think a lot of people focus on the motive of why Montresor kills Fortunato but I'm alright with just letting it be that Montresor was wronged by Fortunato in the past and leave it be.

My ideas of this short are this though: that at the end when Montresor is almost done with the bricks and Fortunato has a coughing attack that Montresor has a moment of empathy because of
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Υπέροχη ιστορία που σε καθηλώνει και σου κόβει την ανάσα. Σου στερεί τον αέρα από τα πνευμόνια σου, ακριβώς σαν να είσαι εσύ θαμμένος και το χώμα να σου στερεί αργά, βασανιστικά και απειλητικά τη ζωή. Τοποθετημένη στην Ιταλία του 19ου αιώνα, η ιστορία είναι τοποθετημένη στον κατάλληλο τόπο αλλά και στον κατάλληλο χώρο, μαγεύοντάς μας ακόμα περισσότερο.
Sara
Jan 26, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful short story, where I discovered that Poe never fails to surprise me when he wants. I'm calmly reading what he describes, when suddenly I find myself wondering how did it come to that. In this story, I even had to read the end again and again, because I couldn't believe my eyes!
HeavyReader
I believe I had to read this short story in 10th grade...oh, no, it must have been in 11th grade when we covered American literature. I think we had a whole section on Edgar Allan and we read several of his poems and short stories.

This story is twisted like all his others. Chilling.
the gift
i read this for some english lit class, it was in an anthology. creepy, i guess influential for an entire history of horror fiction. poe can be thought of the first modern exemplar of genres, of sf, fantasy, horror, crime.
debbie~cr8zycat~
Fantastic horror story!!! Carnival season. Catacombs. Murder. I loved this. It was shocking and clever. Nothing I've read since compares to it. It scared the beejeebies out of me! Halloween reads, 1996. Student Teaching in a 9th grade literature class. I had never heard of this story. The teacher asked me to teach it. So, I prepared the lesson. We used it to do a writing segment on setting as well. This was a very good horror setting. The students really got into it. Everyone was pretty familiar ...more
Horror Aficionados : The Cask of Amontillado & Poe goes to the movies 4 13 Oct 24, 2015 08:03AM
Morales 2341 Spri...: Crazy Personas 32 20 Apr 09, 2015 11:34AM
Morales 2341 Spri...: Crazy Personas 44 25 Mar 26, 2015 01:13AM
Gothic Literature: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Alken Poe 4 27 Mar 25, 2014 05:09PM
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • The Minister's Black Veil
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Story of an Hour and Other Stories
  • The Lottery
  • A Rose for Emily
  • The Ransom of Red Chief
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • The Rats in the Walls
  • Araby (Dubliners)
  • The Lady or the Tiger?: And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Necklace and Other Short Stories
  • To Build a Fire
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
  • Paul's Case
  • Continuity of Parks [Short story]
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

“A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on. (Montresor)” 48 likes
“Yes," I said, "for the love of God!” 28 likes