Start by marking “Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories (Then Sings My Soul, #2)” as Want to Read:

Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories (Then Sings My Soul #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Rob Morgan's inimitable style will help people reacquaint themselves with the hymns of the faithful. His goal is to keep these traditional hymns vital and meaningful to all generations.

Don't look for a dry recounting of boring stories. These devotional-style stories show the emotion and drama behind the hymns of faith that have changed many lives throughout history -- the

Published September 1st 2004 by Nelson Reference & Electronic Publishing (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Then Sings My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Then Sings My Soul

This is such a fun book. There 150 Easter Christmand and all time favorite hymns and the story as to how the hymn came to be. It is really alot of fun to bring the hymn up on YouTube and sing it. It is really alot of fun to read the background for the hymn and what was going on in the person's life as they wrote the hymn
An interesting collection of stories related to some of the best known hymns. I enjoyed it, but I felt that some of the stories were not that compelling - perhaps chosen only because the author wanted to include the hymn in the book. It is nice to have a collection of hymns in my home. I miss singing them!
Aaron Will
Excellent book and resource. It has the words and music to the 150 hymns. It's very inspiring to see the way some of these songs came together and in many cases the working of the Holy Spirit to bring it about. And also very encouraging as a worship leader desiring to write original songs!
This is more like a song book with histories behind the songs written there. Good outlook and pretty complete. I just hope they will come up with the second and the third book to collect as many songs as possible.
This a very informative book of where our favorite hymns originated. Full of interesting information, beautiful truths, and memories. :)
Virginia Campbell
"Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World's Greatest Hymn Stories", is a fascinating, faith-filled volume of music, lyrics, and the stories of the creators and popularizers of familiar inspirational songs. My mother was quite musical, and for many years she was the organist in the little country church attended by my family. Upon reading this history of hymns by author Robert J. Morgan, my mother and I realized that our favorites, "Take My Hand Precious Lord" (hers), and "Peace in the Valley" (mine) ...more
Michael Tyler
150 Hymn Stories. That's fact in Then Sings My Soul. Robert Morgan gives us a clear understanding of the background on hymns we have heard and sung. With this you relate to the incidences inspiring the love each song has for their Creator. Music is a means to open up the heart. God gives us tools to do this. Try singing one of the songs today and let the lyrics and music lead you into worship.
Kathie Anderson
Loved this book! I read about one hymn per day for my devotion time each day. The stories behind each of these hymns are inspiring and sometimes heartbreaking!
Have you ever wondered how certain hymns came to be? Robert J. Morgan has written a wonderful book on the history of hymns called Then Sings My Soul: 150 of the World’s Greatest Hymn Stories. There are probably songs that you’ve sung your whole life and didn’t realize they were considered hymns:
Come, All Ye Faithful
The Star-Spangled Banner
My Country, ‘Tis of Thee

Morgan presents each of these hymns in the style of a devotion and includes a bible verse along with the music and lyrics.
Originally wanted to read one a day and listen to the music for it...I lasted about 2 weeks of that, then started reading them several at a time. Very inspiring stories, great idea for a book and I'm definitely keeping this one on the shelf! Great resource to have around for a spur of the moment devotional/worship time, Bible study group, or just to practice the piano. Was a little cheesy at times, but that didn't take away from the overall charm and smooth flavor of the book.
This book is a great collection of hymns and some of the stories are incredible. However, many of the stories are completely unremarkable. A better title would be 150 of the World's Greatest Hymns, and their stories. I suppose that's a bit clunky. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it and incorporated reading a couple of hymns and their stories into my daily prayer time. Some of them are more conducive to that than others.

If you're a fan of hymns, this is a great pick.
Keli Wright
Jun 20, 2008 Keli Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone esp. if you like trivia or music
Recommended to Keli by: found it on Amazon
I found this book on It has the words and music for hymns and then a devotional style story about who wrote the hymn and any inspirational stories associated with the hymn. I really enjoyed reading it and learning the trivia behind these hymns. I was also surprised to see many hymns that I thought were just LDS hymns in this book. All in all I really liked it.
I picked up this book at a Christian bookstore in D.C for airplane reading. I really enjoyed it. On one page is the hymn, with music, and on the other side is a story about it, usually about what inspired the 'author' to write it, but not always. Easy to read, you can just read one story a day and if you know the hymn, sing it for a kind of devotion.
Loved reading this histories behind these beloved hymns. I also appreciated the music accompanying each history as well.

I would read some of the histories to my 6 y.o. daughter and then we'd find a rendition of it on YouTube so she could hear the music. It presented some great mommy/daughter moments.
I agree that there are hymns I was curious about that are not in this book. However, you can't fit them all into one book. This is a GREAT start. I enjoyed the arrangements of the hymns as well as reading about their beginnings.
Great book of hymn origins. I used this as an evening devotional. My son bought me the 3rd book for Christmas which I'll use next.
A really neat book about the lives of Hymn writers and the circumstances behind why they wrote some of our most beloved Hymns.
Randall Walton
Wonderful for times of devotion. It is also nice to reread as music and their stories never grow old.
Once you know the history behind the hymn you really can understand and feel the lyrics.
Loved the choices of hymms and the stories behind them.
Sarah Honkanen
great stories behind the songs.
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Rachel Nicholson
Rachel Nicholson is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2015
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Christina Kurniadjie
Christina Kurniadjie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Triffina marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Tami marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
  • Surprising Insights from the Unchurched and Proven Ways to Reach Them
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist Sixty Exercises for Piano Complete Edition
  • A Tale of Two Sons: The Inside Story of a Father, His Sons, and a Shocking Murder
  • On Marriage and Family Life
  • The Heart of the Artist: A Character-Building Guide for You and Your Ministry Team
  • Experiencing God Day-By-Day: The Devotional and Journal
  • Surrender: The Heart God Controls
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • A Search for What Makes Sense: Finding Faith
  • The Teaching of the Twelve: Believing & Practicing the Primitive Christianity of the Ancient Didache Community
  • Trial and Triumph
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Workbook
  • Creative Bible Teaching
  • Every Thought Captive
  • Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • What Is a Healthy Church?

Then Sings My Soul (2 books)
  • The Story of Our Songs: Drawing Strength from the Great Hymns of Our Faith (Then Sings My Soul, #3)
The Red Sea Rules: The Same God Who Led You In Will Lead You Out 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart Then Sings My Soul Near To The heart Of God The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good

“The issue of singing hymns versus Psalms split churches, including the one in” 0 likes
“A grateful mind is a great mind,’’ and the Bible agrees. There are 138 passages of Scripture on the subject of thanksgiving, and some of them are powerfully worded. Colossians 3:17 says: ‘‘And whatever you do in word or deed, do” 0 likes