Start by marking “The Schernoff Discoveries” as Want to Read:
The Schernoff Discoveries

The Schernoff Discoveries (Tales to Tickle the Funnybone #3)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Harold Schernoff, 14-year-old science whiz and social nerd, has a theory for every problem, from dating, to bullies, to making money, to sports, to how to buy a car when you're underage. When he and his buddy team up to put his theories to the test, nothing goes according to plan. A ski lesson becomes: Mass x Acceleration x Slope of hill = eeeAAGGHHH. As for first dates, o ...more
Published July 6th 1998 by Yearling (first published May 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Schernoff Discoveries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schernoff Discoveries

Danny
Apr 15, 2016 Danny rated it really liked it
Dec 17 2014
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best part of this whole book so far is when Harold went on a date with a girl and put his tongue in her ear. This was truly the funniest part of the whole novel. As well another interesting scene is when the boys handed in the gulf bulls and managed to buy a car that broke down after less then 10 miles. This book is great because it is very funny, and interesting. This book would be better if the aut
Buchtoaster
Feb 27, 2015 Buchtoaster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eine Empfehlung an alle. Mal wieder was richtig witziges. Ein kleines Schmankl für zwischendurch von Gary Paulsen.

Harold und sein Freund sind Aussenseiter im Alter von 14 Jahren und versuchen beliebt zu werden! Harold ist ein Supergenie und sein Freund der die Geschichte in der Ich-Perspektive erzählt ist keine Leuchte. Aber profitieren auf Ihre Weise voneinander und haben eine ungewöhnliche Freundschaft!

Richtig witzig mal wieder und cool! Seid doch auch mal Harolds Freund. Der ist echt n Nerd!
Jen Castagno
Dec 03, 2012 Jen Castagno rated it liked it
Shelves: english-420
GARY PAULSEN

Harold Schernoff is an unpopular boy at school who thinks he has found solutions of every problem. Him and his best friend go about to set those theories in action. They buy a car, even though they are 14, learn ho to talk to girls, give the football team laxatives, and attempt to become skiers, but nothing ever goes according to plan. This novel is just about two best friends and the adventures they have.

It is a funny story about friendship and is very innocent. It is definitely wri
Susan
Dec 09, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Such a relief to listen to after the last long dismal book. This was only 2 discs long and way too short. I'd like to hear more adventures of Harold, the science whiz, and his friend who narrates the story and who, I just discovered, doesn't appear to have a name.
Stephania
Sep 16, 2013 Stephania rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya2013
Harold and his fried The narrator tell us about their many mishaps in school and learning experiences. Some of their experiences are fishing, skiing, blowing up a pen in an electrical socket and even a first date. Harold and his buddy go through a lot and his buddy consistently tries to talk him out of the "stupid" ideas he has to get him to do something different. Overall tale of boys doing some dumb things. (Boys do this I know I have two) I was looking for something funny but it was a let dow ...more
Susan
Sep 21, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This 103-page book seems to be an autobiographical book about Gary's middle school years. It contains a lot of things that really happened to him--working at a bowling alley, his parents being drunk all of the time, failing school, etc. Each chapter is about a different adventure he and his friend, Harold, dreamed up. I'm sure these stories have been embellished. I laughed all of the way through the book. I especially liked the ski story and the story of Harold's first date.

There are some instan
Kathy Sleva
Jul 28, 2016 Kathy Sleva rated it liked it
Two nerdy kids and their escapades at school. A quick, fun read. I picked this one up in a " Little Free Library" while on vacation. It provided an entertaining afternoon. I will read anything Gary Paulsen writes.
Karin
Jul 20, 2015 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, 2015-reads
Not my favorite Paulsen book. It doesn't even sound like him. It was too juvenile, but in the end, it makes it seem like it's a memoir of his childhood. If it's nonfiction, then I like it a little better.
Rebecca
Oct 25, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Need a good, relaxing chuckle? This is it. Stories of these boys mirror Gary's own upbringing. Reading this book felt like getting to know Gary's turf.
Amy
Mar 22, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book, but more like memoirs than an actual story.
Rebecca Ciannello
Dec 01, 2015 Rebecca Ciannello rated it liked it
Perfect book for middle school boys. Things don't change...
Kaden Johnson
Dec 12, 2014 Kaden Johnson rated it liked it
The Schernoff Discoveries by Gary Paulsen. I had very different feeling about this book. In some parts of this book I was very confused on what was going on but in some parts of the book it was clear what they where saying. But in all i enjoyed the book.
Austin Druyor
This book overall was a great one because it is a hilarious book and made me laugh quite a bit. This book is also a good good because it would be cool how to use Harold Schernoff's science to solve many great and funny problems.
pati
Funny! A primer for every adolescent boy. Any adolescent girl reading this book will benefit as well to help her understand all the goofy things the boys are doing.
Tiana
Nov 27, 2014 Tiana rated it it was ok
This book just wasn't my cup of tea. I had to read it for a school assignment.
Kris
Jan 02, 2009 Kris rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, but my 6th graders had a noticeable generational removal from the jokes and pranks of the day.
Jessica
Aug 17, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! The ski scene was the funniest. I laughed for a whole 10 minutes. It still brings a smile to my face.
Mark Trenier
May 17, 2012 Mark Trenier rated it liked it
A quick read--not a Paulsen favorite, but filled with the usual middle school problems.
Kara
May 02, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it
I thought this book was hilarious and laughed out lout all the way through.
Megan
Apr 12, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Love GARY PAULSEN!
Steven G.
Jake
Jake added it
Jul 25, 2016
Tatijana
Tatijana marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Tony Petry
Tony Petry marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Richard Veerman
Richard Veerman rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • The Twinkie Squad
  • One Day in the Tropical Rain Forest
  • Building Blocks
  • Hotel for Dogs
  • Six Haunted Hairdos (The Hamlet Chronicles #2)
  • The Story of King Arthur & His Knights (Classic Starts Series)
  • Too Many Secrets (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #1)
  • Antsy Does Time (Antsy Bonano, #2)
  • The Trespassers
  • I Am Drums
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Planet Girl (Charlie Joe Jackson, #5)
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest
  • Sees Behind Trees
  • The Golden Hour (Time-Travel Series, #1)
  • Sweet, Hereafter (Heaven, #3)
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...

Tales to Tickle the Funnybone (8 books)
  • The Boy Who Owned the School
  • Harris and Me
  • The Glass Cafe: Or the Stripper and the State; How My Mother Started a War with the System That Made Us Kind of Rich and a Little Bit Famous
  • Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day
  • The Amazing Life of Birds: The Twenty-Day Puberty Journal of Duane Homer Leech
  • Lawn Boy