The Schernoff Discoveries

The Schernoff Discoveries (Tales to Tickle the Funnybone #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Harold Schernoff, 14-year-old science whiz and social nerd, has a theory for every problem, from dating, to bullies, to making money, to sports, to how to buy a car when you're underage. When he and his buddy team up to put his theories to the test, nothing goes according to plan. A ski lesson becomes: Mass x Acceleration x Slope of hill = eeeAAGGHHH. As for first dates, o...more
Published July 6th 1998 by Yearling (first published May 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Schernoff Discoveries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schernoff Discoveries

Jen Castagno
GARY PAULSEN

Harold Schernoff is an unpopular boy at school who thinks he has found solutions of every problem. Him and his best friend go about to set those theories in action. They buy a car, even though they are 14, learn ho to talk to girls, give the football team laxatives, and attempt to become skiers, but nothing ever goes according to plan. This novel is just about two best friends and the adventures they have.

It is a funny story about friendship and is very innocent. It is definitely wri...more
Stephania
Harold and his fried The narrator tell us about their many mishaps in school and learning experiences. Some of their experiences are fishing, skiing, blowing up a pen in an electrical socket and even a first date. Harold and his buddy go through a lot and his buddy consistently tries to talk him out of the "stupid" ideas he has to get him to do something different. Overall tale of boys doing some dumb things. (Boys do this I know I have two) I was looking for something funny but it was a let dow...more
Kaden Johnson
The Schernoff Discoveries by Gary Paulsen. I had very different feeling about this book. In some parts of this book I was very confused on what was going on but in some parts of the book it was clear what they where saying.
Susan
This 103-page book seems to be an autobiographical book about Gary's middle school years. It contains a lot of things that really happened to him--working at a bowling alley, his parents being drunk all of the time, failing school, etc. Each chapter is about a different adventure he and his friend, Harold, dreamed up. I'm sure these stories have been embellished. I laughed all of the way through the book. I especially liked the ski story and the story of Harold's first date.

There are some instan...more
Amy
Decent book, but more like memoirs than an actual story.
Austin Druyor
This book overall was a great one because it is a hilarious book and made me laugh quite a bit. This book is also a good good because it would be cool how to use Harold Schernoff's science to solve many great and funny problems.
pati
Funny! A primer for every adolescent boy. Any adolescent girl reading this book will benefit as well to help her understand all the goofy things the boys are doing.
Kris
I loved this book, but my 6th graders had a noticeable generational removal from the jokes and pranks of the day.
Jessica
Hilarious! The ski scene was the funniest. I laughed for a whole 10 minutes. It still brings a smile to my face.
Mark Trenier
A quick read--not a Paulsen favorite, but filled with the usual middle school problems.
Kara
I thought this book was hilarious and laughed out lout all the way through.
Megan
Hilarious! Love GARY PAULSEN!
Steven G.
Clare
Clare added it
Sep 01, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Nichole Shimunek
Nichole Shimunek marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve...more
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)