Start by marking “Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)” as Want to Read:
Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)

Serenity: Float Out (Serenity #2.4)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,902 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Acclaimed writer/actor/comedian Patton Oswalt (The Goon, Batman, JLA, Dollhouse, Ratatouille) brings back one of Firefly's most beloved characters in this special spotlight issue!

Always ready with a brilliant aerial maneuver and a terrible one-liner, Wash was pilot of the Firefly-class ship Serenity in Joss Whedon's cult-classic TV series before being killed in the movie.
40 pages
Published June 2nd 2010 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serenity

Those Left Behind by Joss WhedonBetter Days by Joss WhedonThe Shepherd's Tale by Joss WhedonDr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories by Zack WhedonSerenity by Patton Oswalt
Books That Resurrect TV Shows & Movies
5th out of 77 books — 49 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeySeriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneresIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingYes Please by Amy PoehlerHappy Accidents by Jane Lynch
Celebrity Authors
42nd out of 152 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Sep 25, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing
I wasn't alone in the movie theatre when I cried out during Serenity. Earlier, we were shocked with Book, and then Wash. So suddenly.

When I saw The Shepard's Tale on the shelf, I expected closure and a tribute to an incredible character. I was thoroughly disappointed and sadly, it made me hesitant to read this...

I love this book. It is the honourable tribute that I had expected for Book. I loved that this didn't involve the Serenity crew at all and instead gave us tales of Wash from old friends
Christopher
So this is a Wash spotlight issue... that takes places after the movie. Yeah...
Emily
Sep 05, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
It seems that a new crew is being put together consisting of former associates of Wash. Three of them each tell how they first came to know Wash. His talent for flying and loyalty to his friends are the main themes. The artwork is gorgeous, particularly the cover. The story is interesting, particularly the last page. Any fan of Serenity/Firefly should add this volume to their collection.
Victoria
May 11, 2012 Victoria rated it did not like it
I feel like this might have worked as an episode, but it doesn't as a comic. I can't tell the three main characters apart and that makes it difficult to follow or care about their interactions or the stories they're telling. And where/why the hell did Zoe come from at the end??
Amanda
Jan 27, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
2.5. Not that Wash doesn't deserve a short volume about him, but touching/warming as parts of this was, it still feels like this entire oneshot exists solely for that ending reveal. Which wasn't exactly well executed. WASH DESERVES BETTER. :(
Greg
May 22, 2011 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I give this two stars only for the last page. I didn't find the story at all compelling or interesting but the reveal of the last page was worth the few minutes it took to read.
Coyora Dokusho
Dec 13, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it really liked it
Liked it! Not as much as the movie, but still good! Wash is a goof.
Sybylla
Jul 05, 2012 Sybylla rated it liked it
All three stars are for the final page.
Caitlin
2 stars for the actual story + 1 star for the feels

I'm not generally a picky person when it comes to books so I'm starting to feel weird rating all these short Serenity stories fairly poorly. If you haven't seen the movie Serenity, please just stop reading now because it'll spoil the shit out of everything.

SPOILERS!

Okay, so despite the fact that the story is passable at best it still made me cry at the end because:

Damn you Joss Whedon!

So yeah, Float Out is three old friends of Wash rememberi
Artur Coelho
Feb 20, 2014 Artur Coelho rated it liked it
Wash, o ás dos ares exímio na pilotagem da nave Serenity pelos mais ínvios e perigosos caminhos do espaço é recordado em três curtas histórias que mostram a sua perícia aos comandos de qualquer nave que lhe calhe nas mãos, a sua agilidade em esquivar-se das piores ameaças de combate espacial e a dedicação aos companheiros. Três curtas, ligadas por um momento de reminiscência entre três aventureiros e a viúva de Wash, com argumento do überg33k Patton Oswalt.
Angela Burkhead
Oct 08, 2013 Angela Burkhead rated it it was ok
Serenity did not have the opportunity to truly give Wash the farewell he deserved so I was super stoked about this comic book honoring his life. I do not, however, believe this story gave him the farewell I was hoping for. Who are these people relaying their happy memories of our favorite, fun-loving character? Where is the crew? Hearing stories from before his mischievous days on Serenity would have made a good read on its own but I wanted a heartfelt and sorrowful goodbye from his true family. ...more
Jamie
Jan 05, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This was great. A loving tribute to Wash with all of the horrible jokes you'd expect. Takes us back to his days before flying with the crew of the Serenity and shows that even though he may be gone, he is far from forgotten!
Julie Gazca
Jul 06, 2014 Julie Gazca rated it really liked it
This is definitely it, everyone. This is my absolute favorite installment, and those of you who've read this can guess why! But to those of you who have not, let me just say, all these graphic novels of Serenity are so worth the read, if only to revisit this world that Joss Whedon created once more. They are special to me, and I cannot express my appreciation for these enough!
Rae
Oct 05, 2015 Rae rated it really liked it
[SPOILERS], kind of? .... Anyways, I loved Wash and his dinosaurs. When he died in Serenity it was so sudden and I couldn't really come to terms with it because it was so quick. Float Out would have made a better episode than it did a comic, but I'll take whatever I can get. The comic gave a much better send-off than Serenity allowed for. Parts of the reminiscing were a little confusing hard to follow, but you could get the overall grasp of what as happening. However, the ending to Float Out was ...more
Kaylee Harkness
Jun 03, 2015 Kaylee Harkness rated it really liked it
I found the flashbacks a little slow and random but it made up for it with the last few pages with Zoe.
Wt Prater
Feb 15, 2014 Wt Prater rated it liked it
Love the end, but over all, this book does not have the same voice as the other Serenity pieces.
Lionel
Nov 05, 2014 Lionel rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, tv, comics
Apteris
Aug 10, 2014 Apteris rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Three anecdotes about Wash. Worth reading.
Andrew Crouthamel
Apr 25, 2014 Andrew Crouthamel rated it it was amazing
The more Firefly the better.
James
Apr 12, 2016 James rated it really liked it
Now this I really liked. Does a much better job of padding Wash's history than Shepard's Tale did for Book.
Anna
Sep 22, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
At first, I was going to give this two stars. I was really lost during the nostalgic scenes. Much of the dialogue was jargon I couldn't follow/understand and I was really bored. It seemed like an unnecessary story. But then the last couple pages blew me away, and I finally understood what this comic was about. It was lovely.
Penny Raspenny
Jan 22, 2013 Penny Raspenny rated it it was ok
Ok

Something went wrong here.
I just finished "Better Days" and for some reason I read this one after.
And in sequence this is after the movie. Which movie is after the comic series...I think

Anyways! It wasn't as good as the previous ones. But I like that Zoey is pregnant!
Shanna
It gives a little back story on Wash's adventures before piloting Serenity, but then proves to be what's as close to "the present" as can be expected. Which is great. Now to read onward!
Kirsten Bailey
Oct 12, 2013 Kirsten Bailey rated it really liked it
I think with all the flying that this would have worked better in a video form rather than a comic, but don't get me started about how much I miss the TV show. And Wash. I miss Wash. Glad to see a tribute to him.
Jordan Erika
Apr 17, 2013 Jordan Erika rated it it was amazing
This is such a great comic for lovers of Wash, to see the reminiscing about him after the events of Serenity. And O.M.G. The Last Page!!! I so want to see the expansion on that!
Scott
Dec 27, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing
An excellent tribute to Wash, after his untimely passing in the movie.
Eric
I'm only saying one thing about this book. That is, what I can only hope, the saddest thing I've read today.
Phil Nicolle
Nov 07, 2012 Phil Nicolle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Wash, strange angle to take and not sure about the last page, but awesome none-the-less.
Coleman Concannon
Jan 03, 2013 Coleman Concannon rated it did not like it
Great to have fan-fav Wash centric comic but too little to do with Serenity. Mostly exists for surprise end.
  • Downtime (Serenity, #2.3)
  • The Other Half (Serenity, #2.2)
  • Better Days (Serenity, #2.1)
  • Serenity
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #1)
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Angel & Faith, #4)
  • Spike: A Dark Place
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
Patton Oswalt is an American stand-up comedian, writer and actor.
More about Patton Oswalt...

Serenity (4 books)
  • Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1)
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Leaves on the Wind