Start by marking “Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health” as Want to Read:
Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health

Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Everyone is buzzing about bees! Urban beekeeping is on the rise as swarms of people do their part to help nurture local food systems, make gardens more productive, connect with nature, and rescue honey bee populations from colony collapse disorder. Honey bee hives now grace the White House Lawn, the roof of Chicago City Hall, the National Arboretum, and the top of the Fair...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees

Melanie
Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees
Malcolm T. Sanford & Richard E. Bonney
Produced by Storey Publishing
Source : Review copy

When we first started our ‘hobby’ farm we turned to Storey’s Guides as our first choice in all inclusive information to get us started. I recently have been curious about honey bees and how to start hives. I saw that Storey had a guide to honey bees and I was sure it would be a great read.

I was enlightened again by the level of instruction and direction that this guide...more
Arminzerella
The authors have a wealth of bee and beekeeping information between them, having written articles and several books on these topics. Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees is an excellent primer for the beginning beekeeper (experienced ones may learn a thing or two as well!), and one to revisit time and time again. One of the things it addresses particularly well is the infestation of the Varroa mite (as well as other bee diseases/parasites) and the options beekeepers have for dealing with it. Thi...more
Scott Knight
This book provides what I would consider to be an intermediate level of beekeeping knowledge. It was the second book I read on beekeeping and had additional information that was not covered in the first book I read. I felt this book was more focused on larger scale commercial beekeeping type knowledge rather than hobbyist beekeepers who may have more time to do things manually, or a desire to do things with minimal or no chemical control.

I had the opportunity to attend a class with Dr. Sanford a...more
Annie Oosterwyk
This was a good choice for anyone interested in starting out. The information was both general and comprehensive but not as useful for someone already working with bees.
Kathy
Taking care of honey bees in a lot of work. Not for me!
Valerie Anderson
Florida guy writes basic introduction to beekeeping book.
Angela
I have very little intention of actually keeping bees, but I am interested in the processes and I thought this book was great. Very readable, sometimes funny. I enjoyed it.

Riverview Book Club.
Joseph
This is an excellent book for anyone just starting out keeping bees. It explains everything you need to know and the supplies to get. I found it very helpful and I would recommend it to anyone interested in raising honey bees.
Rex
This book is a great overview of the basics - or what you might learn in a Beekeeping 101 hands-on class. I did not see much in the way of advanced beekeeping topics.
Derek Hart
Vary good book. Full of a lot of information for the starting beekeeper as well as a good reference for the old time keeper.
Nathan
Fabulous! Helpful, interesting and informative.
Amanda
M. L.
M. L. added it
Sep 30, 2014
Chris Huovinen
Chris Huovinen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Brigitte
Brigitte is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jul 09, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Amos
Amos marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014