Start by marking “The Mousehole Cat” as Want to Read:
The Mousehole Cat

The Mousehole Cat

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  722 ratings  ·  57 reviews
This Walker audio CD is packed with entertaining story-based activities for children to enjoy again and again. Based on the wonderfully atmospheric and dramatic Cornish tale of Old Tom, the fisherman, and his cat Mowzer, who braved the wrath of the Great Storm-Cat to save their village.
Published July 7th 2005 by Walker Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Mousehole Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mousehole Cat

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
61st out of 891 books — 494 voters
The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
181st out of 1,029 books — 889 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
*LOVE*

"At the far end of England, a land of rocks and moorland stretches itself out into a blue-green sea. ... One of these harbours is so small and the entrance between its great stone breakwaters is so narrow that fishermen called it 'the Mousehole'. The people who lived in the cottages around the harbor grew fond of the name and they call their village Mousehole to this day. They say it in the Cornish way, 'Mowzel', but you may say it any way you choose.

"Once there lived in the village a cat
Lisa Vegan
Oct 17, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers; boys and girls who enjoy adventure stories; fans of beautiful illustrations
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
If not for the fishing and fish eating, this book would be nearly perfect for me, so 4 = 5 stars.

I love how this book makes clear who is the pet and who’s the boss. The cat is in charge, naturally, and has a man as her pet, and worries when her children can’t seem to control their humans as well as they should. Ha! Perfect.

This is a moving story about a cat and his man who save their community from starvation, and it’s an enthralling story. It involves courage and danger and adventure, and cat
Hannah
Sep 17, 2011 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hannah by: Kathryn
Shelves: 2011-reads
What a wonderful little children's story book!

Based on a true event in the history of Mousehole (pronounced "Mowzel"), Cornwall, this beautifully illustrated story is so fitting for those of us (young and old) who adore cats, Cornwall, and a wee bit of history.

Thanks go to my GR friend Kathryn, whose lovely review inspired me to read a children's book after a 12 year hiatus (I really miss reading to my girl) :(

You can read her review here:

In conclusion, I
Cheryl
Aug 13, 2013 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheryl by: Amy
Beautifully illustrated fable. A little long, but it included enough fresh bits to keep it interesting. I'd consider saving it for my (hypothetical) grandchildren, but I need to send it to my mother!
Amy
The Mousehole Cat was a pretty long story, and I have to admit, I'm particularly surprised at how long it held my nephew's attention. He's only four, so I did not expect him to listen to this story at all. He tuned in and out, left and came back, so by no means did he hear the entire story. But he heard a lot of it, and looked at lots of the picutres, so I have to assume that *something* about this book hooked him.

I really don't have a good sense of my niece's impression of The Mousehole Cat. S
A
The Mousehole Cat (Best Illustrated Children’s Book Award, UK, 1993)

Intended age group: 5-8

An a brave cat and her pet fisherman risk their lives to save their village from starvation.

Based on a Cornish legend from the seacoast town of Mousehole, this read-aloud story is best for children with long attention spans who enjoy the experience of immersion in pictures and words. When the fishermen of Mousehole cannot take their boats to sea due to a raging storm, Old Tom and his faithful cat, Mowzer,
Nicole
This is a story about a fisherman named Tom and his cat named Mowzer. There are reversing roles in the story as the cat Mowzer is the owner of the man Tom. Usually in stories animals are the pets and humans are the owners. There are many references in the story as humans being pets to cats as Mowzer explains that her children have human pets too but they are not as well behaved as her pet Tom.

The story is told from the perspective of Mowzer and is set in a small village in Cornwall. Mowzer expla
Hulaimat Iyabo
Set in the Cornish village of Mousehole, this book tells the story of Mowzer the cat and her human, old Tom. Tom is a well-behaved human and looks after Mowzer, making sure that she is well kept and cooking her favourite fish dishes.

One terrible winter, the Great Storm-Cat came raging along the coast of Mousehole, preventing all the fishing boats from going out to sea. Because the fishermen could not fish, there was no more food for the villagers to eat. One day, Tom and Mowzer decide to brave
Suzanne
This is an extraordinary book not only well-written but beautifully illustrated. The story is told from the cat's point of view.
It is the story of a cat names Mowzer who lives with her human Tom, an old fisherman, in a coastal English village names Mousehole. Life is good in this small village until one day the "storm-cat" arrives and the subsequent storm prevents the fishing boats from leaving the harbor. Food supplies dwindle and the villagers are threatened so Tom and Mowzer take to sea. The
Dolly
Nov 14, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a heartwarming tale of a man and his cat. The narrative is magical, old fashioned, and somewhat melancholy and the illustrations evoke an older, nostalgic time. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Georgina
A wonderfully descriptive and illustrated book for young children and adults alike. I've been fortunate to visit Mousehole and it really is a beautiful place.
Michi
I came across this book on the 1001 Children's Books list (what can I say, I like lists) and it is actually surprisingly well-written and downright exciting for a book aimed at such a young audience. It isn't repetitive or annoying, it has an actual plot that includes funny bits (for instance making it very clear that the cat is in charge in this cat-human relationship), excitement and even a rather touching, heartwarming scene when the old fisherman decides to sail out and save his starving vil ...more
Miriam
Elderly cat saves the day!
Hazel
Lee Broderick
Review from http://cornishlit.wordpress.com/

Antonia Barber has had a second home in Mousehole since the 1980’s. There are few things Mousehole’s more famous for in Cornwall than Tom Bawcock’s Eve and so it should come as no surprise that an author residing there for any length of time should hear the tale. Here, Barber reworks the legend as a short story for reading with small children, beautifully illustrated by Nicola Bayley.

In Barber’s version, the story is told from the point of view of Mowz
Samantha Maclean
The Mousehole Cat is a Cornish folktale which is both beautifully written and beautifully illustrated. The story is written from the point of view of Mowzer the cat and his owner Tom, a fisherman. When a 'storm-cat' stops the fisherman from going out fishing, Tom and Mowzer brave the sea in an attempt to catch enough fish to feed the village and stop them starving.

This book is best suited for KS2 aged children and can be used in a variety of ways such as Literacy, Citizenship for the understand
Zara
This is a timeless Cornish fable based in Mousehole (pronounced Mowzel), written beautifully and romantically by Antonia Barber. The book is based on a cat, Mowzer, and her owner Tom, a fisherman, who have takes good care of Mowzer and they live off a beautiful varied menu of fresh fish. With Christmas approaching, there is a bad storm caused by Great Storm Cat and 'the fishing boats sat safe as mice in their own mousehole', being the harbour wall. The only problem was that they were not safe ou ...more
Kristina Silverbears
An amazing cat story, which I will love to read repeatedly to my children. I loved the little lists in the story and how the author gave a background to each character, particularly the storm cat. I was also pleased to have older characters being central to the story, and the treatment of hunger, death, and memorials.
Stephanie
I know for a fact my little friend Laptop would love this book! Although, he might be more likely to think of himself as the "Great Storm Cat".

This story was inspired by the Cornish Legend of Tom Bawcock. It is set in Mousehole or as it is pronounced in Cornish "Mowzel", a small fishing village with a harbor so small that it is called "the Mousehole" by the fishermen.

It is a wonderful story told by Tom's cat, Mowzer.
The illustrations are wonderful and the story is very sweet.
I love the imagery
Logan
I saw greeting cards in York bookstore with the lovely illustrations from this book and I noted down the title to look up when I got home. It's about one of Logan's great passions: cats. Particularly a cat named Mowser who lives in the tidy port town of Mousehole ("They say it in the Cornish way, 'Mowzel," but you may say it as you choose"). When a storm comes and the fisherman are unable to fish, Mowzer & her elderly owner set out to fish for the town. Mowzer sings a caterwauling siren's so ...more
Fjóla
Judging from the cover and from the amount of text on the pages, I wasn't sure whether my 4 year old was going to take to this book. But he LOVED it! He loved everything about it, and he was completely enthralled by the story. He had a lot of questions for me while we read, especially about the storm cat, for whom he was very empathetic. And he got a little teary eyed towards the end.

It's an amazing, magic story, and the illustrations, especially the ones of the storm cat, very powerful. We bor
Xana
This is a very peaceful story my granny read it to me before bed it is a good book to read before bed
Alexandra Corinth
adorable book that i picked up because of the resemblance between the mousehole cat and my momo boy.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

A cat named Mowzer lived in the fishing village of Mousehole with an old fisherman. One day a terrible Great Storm-Cat bottled up the harbor, a harbor open to the sea with just the smallest of mousehole shaped openings. It is up to the cat and the old fisherman to save the village from starvation.

Her (Mowzer’s) eldest son kept the inn on the quayside. It was noisy and smoky and his man had once spilled beer on Mowzer’s head as he was drawing a pint.

So she did not go there very o
Hillvan
AD1030L
Holly Martin
This story follows the life of a cat called Mowzer and her owner Tom, the story is told as if the cat owns Tom not the other way round. The book continues on to tell the story of a terrible storm that caused the town fisherman could not fish. Tom and Mowzer decide to brave the storm in order to save the town. This story enables children to imagine the scenario of the storm and the outcome of the story. A great book to use when teaching story writing, and a great book to read to children.
Cheri Micheletti
We've read this book every Christmas since my son was little. It's a beautiful story of unselfishness, love and loyalty, and reading about those qualities makes me get a little teary every time. The illustrations are perfect--Nicola Bayley was able to imagine a storm cat both fearsome and beautiful, and one spread, of Mowzer singing to it, is just stunning.
Portia
I bought this book after we visited there in the 1990s. What a lovely story of how a brave little cat saved the town. I'd recommend it to children who are being taught that no matter how small you are, you can do something wonderful and for adults who need to be reminded that no matter how small you are you can do something wonderful.

Beautiful illustrations.
Michelina
This book is one that I would have expected my four year old to dismiss as "too many words" but he was enthralled during the entire reading. The story was sweet and exciting, it didn't hurt that Mowser looks just like one of our cats :) When it was over he said that "it was really long but I really loved it!". We borrowed it from the library.
1001 Children's B...: December 2014: The Mousehole Cat 3 15 Jan 02, 2015 03:20PM
  • The Church Mouse
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Gorilla
  • Slinky Malinki
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Clown
Antonia Barber really knows about ballet - her daughter studied ballet from the age of three and attended the Royal Ballet School junior associate classes at Sadler's Wells. Antonia is well-known for such best-selling picture books as The Mousehole Cat (with Nicola Bailey) and Catkin (with J P Lynch). Her novel, The Amazing Mr Blunden, was runner-up for the Carnegie Medal. Antonia lives in Kent.
PL
More about Antonia Barber...
The Ghosts Catkin The Frog Bride The Enchanter's Daughter Lessons For Lucy (Dancing Shoes, No 1)