Start by marking “The Shadow of Death (Last Vampire: Thirst #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow of Death (Last Vampire: Thirst #4)

The Shadow of Death (Thirst #4)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  9,894 Ratings  ·  295 Reviews
The conclusion to the phenomenally successful Thirst series follows five-thousand-year-old vampire Alisa Perne as she battles a new race of immortals: the Telar. The Telar are a challenging threat. But Alisa is hungry for blood—and thirsty for revenge.
Kindle Edition
Published August 9th 2011 by Simon Pulse (first published August 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow of Death

Gracie
Jan 15, 2011 Gracie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Omg!!!!!!! IS THAT THE COVER?! IS THAT MATT?!!!?!?!?!?!?!? GOD DAM HE'S SEXY! LOL. Sita looks weird though...
LiteraryObsession
Aug 10, 2011 LiteraryObsession rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
In 1996, with The Last Vampire: Creatures of Forever, Christopher Pike concluded Sita's story. In 2010, he showed us all that Sita's story was not, in fact, over. As if that wasn't enough, he also promised another book, another extension of the series, a glimpse of something more. In 2011, he delivered on that promise...and Sita's story, it seems, is concluded once again.

Or is it? I feel now just as I felt fifteen years ago as a thirteen year old girl finishing a beloved series. Things are all w
Taneika
Aug 27, 2011 Taneika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of my reviews can be found at Flipping Through the Pages!

Firstly, I will try to leave out spoilers in this review as I haven't reviewed the first four but this will probably just be a ran trying to contain my love for the genius that is Mr. Pike. Oh, and I will quite happily read the first four again even if it wasn't for reviewing purposes :)

Secondly, the "Thirst" covers are seriously ugly and having two seperate releases, The Last Vampire and Thirst for the same story is ANNOYING. All of
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Sita, now alive but residing in Teri's body, bands together with her friends to make a last stand against the Telar and the IIC. Both companies are bent on world domination and they will stop at nothing to reach their goals.

Wow. Reading this book affected me pretty profoundly. As with the other books in this series, there are alot of references to Krishna and morals/ethics, which I find refreshing. Christopher Pike does a great job doing this, because it isn't shoved down your throat or make you
Phil Ansell
Where to start?? Firstly I'm not really sure what to make of this latest Last Vampire novel, I was really looking forward to reading it as it's one of my favourite series of books and the previous one was great. But this book left me feeling a little confused and disappointed about what I had just read.

The book picks up exactly where The Eternal Dawn finished, and since it was quite a few months ago when I read it I couldn't remember what had actually happened and this book didn't do much of a r
Logan
Sep 08, 2011 Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO fucking awesome!
I'm going to do my English Book Report on it.
Ahem, anyway, it had SO many twists and turns. Just a page before Sita found out, I was like, "HOLY SHIT! SHANTI'S THE RAT!" And the whole Tarana/Lucifer thing. Who saw that coming? Well, actually, I did. But still!
And the ending!! He left room for a sequel! WILL THERE BE A SEQUEL? TELL ME, CHRISTOPHER, TELL ME!
Okay, I'm done acting like a spazz now.
Seriously, though. I would definitely read the fifth.
P.S., I have co
Rachael
Sep 03, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really have enjoyed reading The Last Vampire Series. Thirst 4: The Shadow of Death left me a little disappointed because there wasn’t as much action as I expected based on the previous books and the battle I was expecting with the Telar and IIC. I still enjoyed reading about Sita’s last journey/adventure and was glad to see some of the story lines closed up.

Thirst 4 was fast paced and once I started it, I didn’t want to put it down. There were a few slow spots though when characters were discu
Maria Paul
Jan 18, 2011 Maria Paul marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAtt Looks absolutely gorgeous:)......very drool-worthy;).....and Sita i have to agree looks weird....almost constipated-like......but i guess it not really sita....technically its Teri...or maybe she gets gher body back??....IDK but its killing me i need to have this book or i will die!!...ive been waiting forever! UGH!!!! This is torture...HURRY UP CHRISTOPHER PIKE!
Hamza
Sep 07, 2013 Hamza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarışın Vampir No.4: ÖLÜMÜN GÖLGESİ okundu. Christopher Pike yazarda okunmaz mı? Bitti ama keşke bitmeseydi… Ahh, olamaz böyle bir kitap. Ben bu seriyi çok seviyorum. Fantastik Edebiyat dünyasına Sita gibi bir karakter bir daha gelmez. O kadar güçlü bir karakter ki okurken hayran oluyorsunuz. Yazarın dili çok akıcı , çevirisi ise çok güzeldi. Okurken sorun yaşamıyorsunuz…

Aslında ben bu seriye başlarken çok tereddütlüydüm hiç unutmuyorum Mayıs’ın son haftasıydı 2011 yılıydı. Ama şöyle söyleyeyim.
Brittany Terrazas
Mar 14, 2013 Brittany Terrazas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash
If you read my review for the first book this is almost the exact same word for word.

I don't know how this whole series ever got published and it was only stubbornness on my part that got me this far. The whole series is beyond ridiculous that I had to see how it ends. Normally I would have been able to read all 4 books in a week. A year later I still can't get myself to finish the last book. I'm so glad I didn't spend any money on these. If I had my $ would have been better spent if I just ate
Alyssa Snyder
I honestly couldn't decide what to give this book. I highly anticipated it for like a year, but once I started reading it I was bored. Alisa wasn't as much as a bad ass in this book as she normally is, and it was pretty much all about the telar and what not..too much history and not enough action. I feel like this book was not necessary. I really hope this series is done because up until this book Thirst has been one of my favorite series.
Makiya
Hello, friends. I haven't finished this book. Honestly ever since I updated I haven't read anything. It was putting me in a slump; a bad slump. Which lead to my lack of activity on here. Starting on Monday though I'm gonna start An Ember In The Ashes. I've heard nothing but great things, so hopefully it'll pull me out. Good day to you all. :)
Evan
Jun 13, 2011 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I go into this book, you need to understand something: I've been reading Christopher Pike since seventh grade. That's 18 years! The fact he's still writing baffles me, however I'm beginning to wonder if it's a ghost writer.
I'm going to do a quick Google search to see if anything comes up, I'll be right back...

Based on my vague research, it seems that he is merely 51. He's still kicking. Which is nice, because I actually like his books. They're totally bizarre, they're not afraid to get s
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
Jul 12, 2011 Meaghan R. (YA-aholic) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE, WHETHER YOU LOVE VAMPIRES OR NOT
so excited to start this book!!!! had to put the other book i'm reading on hold.

i love this series, and i think it's now my favorite series that i read.

so far, i love how this book picks up right after the other one left off. i don't think more than 24hours has lapsed. and upon reading the first page, i instantly remembered everything from the previous one.

*FINISHED READING*

AB-SO-LUTE-LY-A-MA-ZING!

i'm so sad that the series is over, but who knows, maybe in ten years Pike will have another story
Addie R.
I can honestly say that this was the best book in the whole Thirst/Last Vampire series! Instead of Sita's repeating first line, "My name is Alisa Perne and I'm a 5,000 year old vampire...," it starts off right where it left off.
This was a very fast-paced book. Once I started it pulled me right in and kept me there. I didn't like how Sita was now in Teri's body. She just wasn't the same strong, almost-invincible-Sita; although I was curious as to how she would defeat the Telar in a newborn vampir
Alexis
Oct 20, 2011 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Vampires, Fans of Fantasy, Fans of mystery and action
Shelves: favorites, vampires
This adition to the thirst books was really good. The Thirst series continues to be one of my favorites. It starts off slowly and there isn't a lot of action like in the first two books but it gets better. Now that I've finished the book I realize how important the beginning of the book is. It gives you important information that you will need for the ending of the book. There is a lot of surprising twists and turns that makes the book interesting and I had to force myself to put it down towards ...more
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I definitely thought this book was better than the last one, but I still found myself not loving it.

This one doesn't drag nearly as bad as book #3 - and I think that's because book 3 is really a lot of set-up for the stuff that goes down in this book.

That said, I found the climax kind of anti-climactic, and I'm not sure how I feel about the ambiguous, open ending. On one hand I thought it was kinda cool, but on the other hand I felt it was sort of a gimmicky way to leave the series open for poss
Johi
Dec 30, 2013 Johi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a blur of Telar, IIC, the Array, the Cradle and the Lens, and demons and the devil himself! But I read most of it in one sitting, so at least it kept me interested. This book is a continuation of the previous, in which nothing got resolved. In this one, finally!! Things get taken care of! The good guys triumph and the bad guys lose!

Or do they?

There is leftover plot for the next book but at least there's a sense of conclusion from the main storylines. And I see the shadow of a love
hayden
Aug 12, 2011 hayden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad to see I can restore my faith in good old Mr. Pike.

After the disappointments that were WITCH WORLD and its slightly-better sequel, BLACK KNIGHT, it's relieving to read a good -- no, great, Pike novel and justify my obsession with him. (The next eight books I read will be his, too.) It's great to know that even after a gap of a couple years, I can still find wonder in Sita's story.

I can't wait to read the next one!
Sep 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Wolf (Alpha)
Feb 04, 2017 Wolf (Alpha) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I can't wait to read the last one. It had lots of little twist and turns that really suprised me. I felt bad that Sita was trapped in the body of a newborn vamp and that her senses were not as good. I like that Sita didn't give up and that she finally defeated the Telar.
Atia Gharibani
I am in love with the thirst series. I'm going to be honest and say that these are the only books i have truly loved that involve vampires. I love Christopher pikes writing, especially his character development. His characters feel real to me. This book is a must read.
Jennifer Lee
Actual rating 3.5 stars

Not my favorite of the series so far, but not bad either.
Eriny
May 21, 2011 Eriny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so exited to read this book it is really cool and the last book was amazing , I am dieng to know what happens next . Specially with matt .
Joti
Apr 06, 2012 Joti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jordan
Jan 20, 2017 Jordan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alexei
May 30, 2011 Alexei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
{Come check out my website TeenageBookaholic }

SYNOPSIS: After 5,000 year-old Sita died in Thirst V.3, she is reborn into a newborn vampire, but not just any newborn vampire. She is now her friend and Olympic Gold Medalist, Teri Raines. Now that Sita's body has been buried, the team must continue their work to stop the Telar from releasing a virus to kill humanity, and stop the IIC and their powerful mind-control device named the Array. Will Matt, the son of Sita's creator, Yaksha, and almost-mos
Jamie White
Aug 17, 2011 Jamie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The originial Last Vampire series was one of my favorites from Pike. I loved Sita's attitude and how she was not pure good or pure evil. She had that grey area that, to me, makes a character interesting. When I saw that the series had been re-released and was going to be continued I was unsure of how it would turn out. Was it going to be just as entertaining or would it ruin the original?

I think the answer isn't a simple one. I am a bit disappointed that some elements of the original had to be
Brent Ecenbarger
Liz
A long time fan of Christopher Pike, and a forever fan of his Last Vampire series, I was first a little disappointed in the publisher re-releasing the entire series in obmnibus form simply because of the "Twilight Craze". It is my opinion that the original six books far surpass, in writing quality and story-line, the Twilight series. However, re-reading them now as an adult, I was reminded just how much I loved them. When talk arose of Pike writing additional installments to this series, I was f ...more
thrist series 2 8 Jul 28, 2014 12:54AM
  • The Morganville Vampires, Volume 4 (The Morganville Vampire, #7-8)
  • End of Days (The Fallen, #3)
  • Blood Ties (Blood Coven Vampire, #6)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Damned (Crusade, #2)
  • Immortal Hearts (Vampire Kisses, #9)
  • Sweep: Volume 5 (Sweep, #13-15)
  • Night Life (Vamps, #2)
  • Lost in Time (Blue Bloods, #6)
  • The Craving (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #3)
  • Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)
  • Love Sucks!
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

Thirst (5 books)
  • Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
  • Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2)
  • Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3)
  • Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)

“It's ironic, isn't it? Our goal was great. Our path was dark.” 18 likes
“He said how love was the sweetest expression of life. The one thing that made life worth living. Love made difficult tasks easy. Raising a family could be a great burden, but if there was love, the sacrifice was a pleasure. And when love matured into devotion then everything you did for your lover was a joy. You would give up your life to save those you loved. On the other hand, if love did not mature it could lead to bondage, to jealousy. If you loved someone, but felt possessive of them, you could end up treating them like an object that belonged to you. Just as bad, with your children, if you showered them with too much love, and never disciplined them, they would grow up weak and spoiled. At times, love had to be tough, or it could end up wrecking those dearest to you.” 14 likes