Drunken Forest, the

Drunken Forest, the

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  994 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Argentine pampas and the Chaco territory of Paraguay provide the setting for The Drunken Forest. With Durrell for interpreter, an orange armadillo, or a horned toad, or a crab-eating raccoon, or a baby giant anteater suddenly discovers the ability not merely to set you laughing but actually to endear itself to you.

Contents

Explanation
Saludos

1. Oven-birds and burrowing o...more
Published 1958 by Penguin Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Drunken Forest, the, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drunken Forest, the

karen
there are three sad books awaiting reviews before this one, but i don't even care, because this one needs to be reviewed right now!! sorry, marguerite duras! let's call this even!!

how great is gerald durrell?? did someone say "very great??" because that is the correct answer. he is very great.

i have been meaning to read him for ages now, especially since i learned that he frequently deflates pompous brother lawrence in his books; in a good-natured brotherly way. and i appreciate lawrence durrel...more
Greg
A not so informative review followed by pictures of animals!

If I had one complaint about this book it wasn't the un-PCness that Durrell sometimes is guilty of, it's the very brief treatment Foxy, the grey pampas fox is given in the book. Maybe because the fox is such a common creature to the English he doesn't get nearly the amount of space in the book as equally charming baby Anteater Sarah Huggersack or the baby crab-eating raccoon Pooh. But there is a very cute drawing of the fox in the book....more
Jean
The Drunken Forest (1956) recounts Gerald Durrell's fourth expedition to collect wild animals. This time he travelled to South America - specifically Argentina and Paraguay - during 1954. It is the first time his first wife Jacquie features more in the anecdotes. Apparently the couple had had to elope in 1951, because of opposition to their marriage from her father! It is worth saying that is due in part to the encouragement and assistance from Jacquie, that we have these entertaining accounts t...more
annik
Выбирали по обложке, потому что на обложке изображен енот, упершийся носиком в дерево ^^
Я знала, что Даррелл был натуралистом, написал несколько книг о животных, но никогда бы не подумала, что он настолько зацепит меня своим Пьяным лесом… Читаешь — и погружаешься колоссально в далекую Аргентину полувековой давности.

— Пьяные деревья... Это действительно подходящее название. И место как раз для них, весь лес здесь кажется пьяным.
В самом деле, вся местность выглядела так, словно природа решила у
Alejandro Teruel
Ever since I first read My family and other animals when I was ten or eleven years old, I have had a soft spot for Gerald Durrell. Some of his books have dated more than others and some now have passages that are excruciatingly politically incorrect, but the passages about the individual animals he collected or observed still thrill me and his droll descriptions of their more ludicrous antics still make me laugh.

I came across a fading copy of this book recently, dived straight in and I could se...more
Minnie Romanovich
Enough good things can't be said about Gerald Durrell and his amazing (true) animal stories. Touching, clever, interesting, very witty and thoroughly compelling. I have seven of his books already, and my collection is steadily growing.

Highly recommended.
Neha
If animal comedy is a genre then Gerald Durrell is PG woodhouse of the same..

His love for animals comes out vivid and colorful as he puts his encounters with them to paper.. his passion for animals just transforms itself so beautifully in words that it feels like you are watching Animal Planet or National geographic. Though his limited means in resources, technology and mobility he manages to travel the world to describe to us his wonderful adventures with the most vibrant fauna... all his adve...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I've read several of the author's books as a teenager and loved them. Except for a few, though, I can't remember, by title, which ones I've read until I start reading them. This one I had not read before and is my first foray back into Gerald Durrell since that time. I also used to watch a show he had on TV at the time and really enjoyed the man's love for his animals and his sense of humour.

Comments: The Durrells, Gerald and his wife Jacquie, travel to South America, namely...more
Joyce Lee
I have to have my own copy of this book. Reading about Eggbert in a cafe made me giggle and snort so mich I was afraid to look away from the table incase people were staring. Heheheheee!
Namitha Varma
A delighting read - the way Durrell gets into the skin of the animals and almost humanises them is very charming. Except for the cruel rattlesnake encounter and the just-for-fun rhea capturing, I laughed out loud at the descriptions of almost every episode. While I do not sympathise with Durrell's aim of safeguarding animals by capturing them and rearing them in zoos, the book was an amazing experience, and if he has succeeded in his mission of protecting endangered species through his venture,...more
I just love Gerald Durrell's books. Like most of his books this is another fun light read if you enjoy learning about strange animals and strange people these are great books.
Lindsay
I normally really enjoy Gerald Durrell's books but this one annoyed me for a few reasons (which I do think were actually related to the time it was written). His later books seemed to be more about learning about animals and conservation, where as this was a big adventure of putting animals in cages, kind of making up their diets (and as a vet, I know how important husbandry is for these animals!) and then after they'd all got a bit tame and been in what sounded like fairly small cages, letting...more
Ercsi91
I don't know but every time I read one of Mr. Durrell's works it fills me up with energy^^

This book was fun to read again~~
The cause of it-
First it was about animals, people presented in a funny but interesting way, further on I just loved those few Spanish words which he implemented in his work-cause before this I read a similar "Spanish novel" and will read after this too X3
And a nother plus was the atmosphere in which I read his book ...on the bus,,on the way home from a long long tour- aww...more
Alyssa
"The Drunken Forest" does not pretend to be more than it really is-- a collection of humorous animal stories that happened while naturalist Gerald Durrell (writer Lawrence Durrell's younger brother) was collecting specimens from Argentina and Paraguay to take back to England. Durrell does recount some (rather big) political issues that happened while he was collecting, but he keeps the work focused on the animals and how he got them and how he cared for them. "The Drunken Forest" is not a "deep"...more
Seán
May 02, 2008 Seán rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Snobby Brit and less famous brother of novelist Lawrence Durrell offers amusing stories about collecting unusual animals for English zoos during a trip to the Pampas and Paraguay. I realize dude is a naturalist but he seems strangely incurious to the people around him, save for the occasional story about how silly brown people are.

And yet! The illustrations are so cute!
Anne
This is the first of Gerald's book that I have read..It was an amazing read..i loved the way he described the south america forests..the animals..each one with its own intricacies..the book was a complete treat to read..I googled about each animal i read about to understand how it looked like!..i especially loved the oven bird described by Gerald.
Tomek
Barbara
I enjoy reading Gerald Durrell, even though dated, his memoirs of animal collecting in far-flung places of the world amuse and delight.
Stephanie
Not one of his best, but his animal descriptions and adventures remain priceless.
Maggie
Tremendous fun. Though you wonder if something was wrong with his brain....
David Smith
When writing about Somalia all day - this is a good antidote.
Rosel
Jul 08, 2009 Rosel added it
One of the first Gerald Durrell books i read.
Cynthia
Interesting, funny, entertaining.
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Sydney Morrell
Sydney Morrell marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1)
  • The Goshawk
  • A Place In The Woods
  • Life on Earth
  • Living Free: Elsa and Her Cubs (Story of Elsa, #2)
  • That Quail, Robert
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • King Solomon's Ring
  • Over Hill and Dale
  • Wir Kinder aus Bullerbü
  • The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995
  • A Pelican at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #11)
  • Two Under the Indian Sun
  • The Last Grain Race
Gerald Durrell was born in India in 1925. His family settled on Corfu when Durrell was a boy and he spent his time studying its wildlife. He relates these experiences in the trilogy beginning with My Family and Other Animals, and continuing with Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. In his books he writes with wry humour and great perception about both the humans and the animals...more
More about Gerald Durrell...
My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1) Birds, Beasts, and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy, #2) A Zoo in My Luggage The Corfu Trilogy The Garden of the Gods (Corfu Trilogy, #3)