Duck, Duck, Goose

Duck, Duck, Goose (Duck & Goose)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  43 reviews

Duck & Goose, Goose & Duck. Feathered friends forever . . . or are they? That's what we discover in this charming and hilarious follow-up to the bestselling Duck & Goose. You see, there's a challenge to their friendship: a little whippersnapper of a duck named Thistle. Thistle's good at everything (or so she thinks), from math to holding her breath to standing

Published October 1st 2010 by Random House Children's Books (first published February 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Duck, Duck, Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck, Duck, Goose

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

My kids and I giggled our way through DUCK & GOOSE, Tad Hills' first book starring these two lovable characters. With DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE, our favorite quacker and honker are back -- but this time there's another character thrown into the mix, and three is most definitely a crowd.

Duck is very excited to introduce Thistle, the new duck who just moved into the area, to his best friend Goose. And, at first, Goose is just as happy to meet this new duck.

T...more
Sonya Feher
I remember the days when a perfectly good childhood friendship was altered by the appearance of a third person. Come to think of it, that happens in adulthood too. Watch Duck and Goose negotiate the addition of Thistle, a new duck in the neighborhood, to their twosome. Goose has to figure out if he wants to play Thistle's way or remain true to himself. Will he lose his old friend to this new arrival? Written for young children, this book contains some universal life lessons in an easily understa...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
This is a cute and fun picture book that is extremely characterisitic of Tad Hills and his style. I love the little goose and how he manages his responses to the annoying (but you can't help but identify with) Thistle. This is a great book for young children that will help them understand the delicate balance every kid learns about juggling more than one friend and finding a place in your life for all different types of friends and personalitites. Plus, it is just a fun book!
Michelle
The snotty, little, know-it-all duck never learns anything. They just trick him into falling asleep.
Lynne
Duck and Goose are among my favorite picture book characters. My granddaughter has a fun Christmas board book that first introduced me to these two friends. In this story, Duck and Goose are joined by the new duck in the neighborhood, Thistle. Thistle turns everything into a contest. Thistle dominates everything and doesn't listen to others when they talk. And Thistle is the world's best at everything. Goose doesn't like the things that Thistle wants to do. What can they do with this newcomer? F...more
Storytime Books
Duck, Duck, Goose! That phrase has always only been known as a favorite child hood game right? Not exactly. In this great Duck and Goose series, Tad Hills brings life to a duck and a goose, who happen to be the best of friends. Duck and Goose are always having many adventures together, just the two of them…until a new friend tags along. That friend is another Duck named Thistle. When Duck brings Thistle along to meet Goose, Thistle quickly becomes the center of attention. No matter what Goose tr...more
Dianna
Duck and Goose are friends, and a new duck moves in. She annoys them by always being the best at everything and showing off. Then they get her to be the world's best napper so they can ditch her and play by themselves.

I got this book for my 16-month-old baby who loves her copy of What's Up Duck?: A Book of Opposites. This book is quite different, though, despite featuring the same characters and cute illustrations. She couldn't sit through more than two pages. Even my four-year-old lost interest...more
Nicole
Love Duck and Goose! Wish they had addressed the problem behavior head-on instead of passive aggressively. But a good story non-the-less.
Dana Pressnell
Great book about a duck who always has to be the best and out do everyone else. Great read aloud for discussion. Love!
Christine D
I love books by Tad Hills, and this one is no exception :)
Dotty
Wonderful characters and a very cool ending!
Tamra
Nov 16, 2011 Tamra rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
Shelves: picture-books
What a horrible little book!

Good part: The illustrations are cute.

Bad parts: Everything else. The message is horrible and the conflict wasn't resolved right. The first few pages are full of unclear dialogue that would be hard for a kid to follow ("who's saying what?"). Characters aren't established right, nor do I feel they're represented well or developed appropriately.

Don't read this to your kids.

(Once a month I read picture books to a 2nd grade class. Obviously this one didn't make the cut....more
Kimbely Fletcher
This is a great story about sharring your best friend. I would use this book to teach the children about sharring frineds and being kind to one another. Duck finds a new friend to play with, and goose is a bit jealous. Duck plays with the 2 of them. The two new friends decide they want to play another game. Well duck does not like the new game. He get a little upset and is bothered that his friend has a new friend. In the end he learns how to share his best friend, and they live happily ever aft...more
Heidi
Dolly
Aug 19, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This story is the epitome of "Three's a crowd," especially when two of the three have very different personalities. Where Goose is calm, patient and enjoys peace and quiet, Thistle is loud, competitive and busy, busy, busy. This is a good book to read to children who are feeling competition or conflict in their friendships. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Chili Public
What a sweet book. Duck and Goose are friends, and then along comes Thistle to stir things up. She can do all sorts of things and she does them very well. Stand on her head, hold her breath... she's perfect! Goose just wants to smell the flowers and play with the ball. Can Duck and Goose stay friends since Duck's new friend Thistle is so different?
Cathy
Melanie
Longtime friends Goose and Duck are joined by Thistle, another duck. Thistle as a bit of a competitive edge. Whenever the boys want to do something, she either suggests something more exciting or declares and proves herself the best at it. Finally the boys find something that she is better at and it's a good thing: napping.
Celeste
Yes! I think I love this book as much as my daughter does. She for some reason identifies with Thistle. We checked it out from the library and I am seriously consider purchasing it. My favorite part is at the end when Thistle says she is the a world champion napper! That has helped but my little one to bed!
Kristen Sewell
This was a cute, simple story. It will teach children to accept people for their differences and how to share friends. Many young children have a difficult time sharing their best friends with someone that is odd and different from everyone else. This book shows that everyone can be friends no matter what.
Abby Turner
More cute duck and goose
Inspired Kathy
This point of this book was beyond the understanding of my 3 year old. Thistle moves in and is good at everything. Goose feels left out and unhappy because he does not enjoy doing what Thistle wants to do.
Bree
Notes:
although geared toward preschoolers, this book is better appreciated by a kid who's been through this scenario; my kids (age 6 and 9) laughed through this and read it multiple times
Miri
Poor Goose. Duck's new duck friend Thistle is one of those annoying people who can't stop competing and bragging, but the little birds work things out in the end.
Kathy Ellen Davis
I liked this book a lot.
It's a nice story about friendship,
and new friends,
and trying something new while sticking up for the old.
Check it out!
Vicki
I love these books by Tad Hills, wonderful colorful illustrations and very nice story lines. A great book that demonstrates friendship and new friends.
Kim
Friendship is tested in this charming story with adorable illustrations.

themes: braggarts, ducks, friendship, geese, new kids
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
What happens when you befriend a show off new duck that moves to town. Everyone gets annoyed and you hurt your friends feeling.
Melissa
Love the illustrations and color. Duck and Goose were far more patient with Thistle than I would have been. ;-)
Jess
fun, cute story and illustrations... Duck + Goose are big hits around our house right now!
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • Brontorina
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Woolbur
  • No Two Alike
  • What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s...more
More about Tad Hills...
How Rocket Learned to Read Rocket Writes a Story Duck & Goose Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites