Start by marking “More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1-2)” as Want to Read:
More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1-2)

More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress #1-2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  682 ratings  ·  35 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh come two classic tales of Regency-era romance, where scandalous liaisons kindle passions too powerful to conceal.

MORE THAN A MISTRESS
Hired to serve as nursemaid to the wounded Duke of Tresham, Jane Ingleby tries to pretend it’s strictly a business arrangement. Surely there could be nothing more perilous than being the lov
Mass Market Paperback, 800 pages
Published May 24th 2011 by Dell (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress

Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesSomething About You by Julie JamesPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenPractice Makes Perfect by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie James
Best Romance Books Ever
398th out of 1,901 books — 1,998 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Hardcover Boxed Set, Books 1-6 by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsLost in the Bayou by Cornell DeVille
Books You Hate To Put Down
327th out of 1,260 books — 668 voters

More lists with this book...

Tonya Leavitt
Two brothers, two books, two happily ever afters makes me one satisfied reader.
Melodie
More Than A Mistress -- 5 stars!
I love this one!! Reading it reminds me of why I loved historical romances so much; I had kind of forgot since I've been sucked into the realm of the paranormal romance for the past few months. I realized that historical romances are just so...romantic--for the lack of a better word.

I absolutely adore all the characters and would totally read every single one of their happily ever after if they're available. I was grinning like a madman at the end of the this one
Andreasoldier
In MTAM, plain Jane interrupts a duel, resulting in the Duke of Tresham getting shot in the leg. He hires her to be his nurse.
An arrogant, intensely private man, Jane is the only person who stands up to him and needles him.
Soon she finds herself falling in love — he does have a few redeeming qualities, such as a sense of honor.
When her stint as nurse is over, and Jane has no where to go the duke offers her choice: to be his mistress or to pursue a singing career.
She decides to become his mistres
OhWell
Too bad these books came in a package, and there can only be one rating for both. I really enjoyed the first one, and I would give it 5*. The second one can barely make it to a 2* though.

More than a Mistress: Jocelyn and Jane are both stubborn, standoffish, quick tempered, but in fact so perfect for each other that they seem indeed destined to have a ‘happily ever after’ - quarrels included. They do take a good while to let their guards down and allow their caring and sensitive sides show. Their
Angelyn Schmid
Boy, I love a good Balogh, going all the way back to Secret Pearl, ground-breaking and completely believable. More than a Mistress reminds me of that glorious story, but like a shadow reminds one of that which casts it. The heroine escaping to London believing she has committed murder is an unfortunate premise because it is unbelievable in a Regency setting. Clever duel scene followed by clever mistaken identity scene rescues the beginning somewhat. With a good dose of Balogh-building sensuality ...more
Linda
Rebecca
The three stars are for No Man's Mistress. I'd give More Than a Mistress two stars, maybe two and a half. I wanted to like it more than I did. One minute the characters were amusing, the next they'd be annoying the crap out of me. They make cameo appearances in the second book, which I found much stronger overall, and they are much less annoying in small doses. Why did I bother reading the second book when I didn't like the first book that much? Well, obviously, because it was there. Which only ...more
Da Kamel
Nancy
I thought a few times that these two stories were a little like Pretty Woman meets a Regency romance, at least in some aspects. I probably felt about the same about both stories - enjoyable, some different plot lines than I've read in the period pieces but didn't entirely catch me.
Melissa
it was disapointing that the surprise weddings were merely mentioned but not described but I loved every second of them.
Jocylyn Teoh
5 stars for the more than mistress. Love the story very much!
Dhaverma
Loved this book. Did it book-on-tape. Great characters, great writing, great romance.
Meagan
This is my first experience reading Mary Balogh, and in spite of what an extraordinarily long time it took me to finish the poor book, I think I will likely read her again. There are nice, three-dimensional characters, and plenty of conflict that doesn't rely too much on the hero and heroine not talking to each other. (I hate The Big Misunderstanding and Seeecrets as the main source of conflict.). A pair of nice, sweet, emotional love stories.
Polly Watson
This won't let me add the book(s) when I've read them a second time. That's a bummer. I do read Mary Balogh's books often, especially after reading something that's tough and emotional for me.....I just finished all three of THE HUNGER GAMES as well as GONE WITH THE WIND. Even though I'd read these books earlier this year, I couldn't help reading them again!!!!
Samia Ruponti
More than a mistress in extremely similar to The Secret Pearl. Other than this, I enjoyed the story immensely. To bad I can't say the same about no man's mistress. That's why it got a three stars in stead of four! ;)
Donna
Two enjoyable Regency romances that take place within one family. Independent, feisty women, troubled but caring men, humour, conflict, happy endings - what more can one ask for. Especially enjoyed glimpses of Tresham the "family" man in the second book. Looking forward to reading Angeline's story.
Larisa
Perfectly delicious pair of stories. Jocleyn has healthy dollop of Wulfric in him. Ferdinand sets everything on its ear and comes out even more swoonworthy than he started off.

All the hallmarks of a long term annual, or when needing comfort, read.
Jess Candela
I read the first one and enjoyed it, but not enough to be motivated to read the second. I just realized this has been hanging around on my "currently reading" shelf for a while, even though I'm no longer currently reading it.
Tara
I usually love Mary Balogh, but I had a hard time with these two stories. The characters were hard to feel sympathetic towards, and they were often just plain unlikable.
Melissa
These two stories were really good. I liked the F. Dudley story and wondered after reading the first what was going to happen to him.
Kristin
Loved these two stories...will definately be on the "to be read again" list. Can't wait to finish off the trilogy with "secret mistress".
Melissa
Like almost everyone else who has reviewed here, I liked the first book much more. I wish they were separate entries and not bundled.
Manda
Kendra
2-in-1 book following two brothers. Light-hearted and funny, with verbal sparring and deep secrets.
Notdorothy
More Than a Mistress and No Man's Mistress: Two Novels in One Volume by Mary Balogh (2005)
Elizabeth
2.5 stars for no mans mistress. just couldnt get into the characters. didnt care about them.
Jency
I liked both of them. The ending for the second one was kind of hard to believe.
Lisa Anne
I actually liked both. Been awhile since I read them.
Jessica
No Man's Mistress was my favorite of the two.
Jody
Refer to each individual book for review .
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • It Happened One Night
  • An Affair Without End (Willowmere, #3)
  • A Most Unsuitable Earl (Marriage By Scandal, #2)
  • The Bargain (Regency #1)
  • The Perfect Mistress
  • A Wedding Wager (Blackwater Brides, #2)
  • The Year of Living Scandalously (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #1)
  • The Telling
  • The Lady's Secret
  • The Barefoot Princess (Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)