Start by marking “More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1-2)” as Want to Read:
More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1-2)

More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress (Mistress #1-2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  871 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh come two classic tales of Regency-era romance, where scandalous liaisons kindle passions too powerful to conceal.

MORE THAN A MISTRESS
Hired to serve as nursemaid to the wounded Duke of Tresham, Jane Ingleby tries to pretend it’s strictly a business arrangement. Surely there could be nothing more perilous than being the lov
Published May 24th 2011 by Dell (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More than a Mistress/No Man's Mistress

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesSomething About You by Julie JamesPractice Makes Perfect by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie James
Best Romance Books Ever
441st out of 2,286 books — 2,481 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Hardcover Boxed Set, Books 1-6 by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsLost in the Bayou by Cornell DeVille
Books You Hate To Put Down
357th out of 1,338 books — 696 voters

More lists with this book...

Tonya Leavitt
Aug 18, 2012 Tonya Leavitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Two brothers, two books, two happily ever afters makes me one satisfied reader.
Melodie
More Than A Mistress -- 5 stars!
I love this one!! Reading it reminds me of why I loved historical romances so much; I had kind of forgot since I've been sucked into the realm of the paranormal romance for the past few months. I realized that historical romances are just so...romantic--for the lack of a better word.

I absolutely adore all the characters and would totally read every single one of their happily ever after if they're available. I was grinning like a madman at the end of the this one
Andreasoldier
Mar 22, 2012 Andreasoldier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In MTAM, plain Jane interrupts a duel, resulting in the Duke of Tresham getting shot in the leg. He hires her to be his nurse.
An arrogant, intensely private man, Jane is the only person who stands up to him and needles him.
Soon she finds herself falling in love — he does have a few redeeming qualities, such as a sense of honor.
When her stint as nurse is over, and Jane has no where to go the duke offers her choice: to be his mistress or to pursue a singing career.
She decides to become his mistres
OhWell
Feb 10, 2015 OhWell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, mary-balogh
Too bad these books came in a package, and there can only be one rating for both. I really enjoyed the first one, and I would give it 5*. The second one can barely make it to a 2* though.

More than a Mistress: Jocelyn and Jane are both stubborn, standoffish, quick tempered, but in fact so perfect for each other that they seem indeed destined to have a ‘happily ever after’ - quarrels included. They do take a good while to let their guards down and allow their caring and sensitive sides show. Their
Angelyn Schmid
Boy, I love a good Balogh, going all the way back to Secret Pearl, ground-breaking and completely believable. More than a Mistress reminds me of that glorious story, but like a shadow reminds one of that which casts it. The heroine escaping to London believing she has committed murder is an unfortunate premise because it is unbelievable in a Regency setting. Clever duel scene followed by clever mistaken identity scene rescues the beginning somewhat. With a good dose of Balogh-building sensuality ...more
Linda
Jan 17, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Solla
Feb 22, 2015 Patricia Solla rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, pbs
I thoroughly enjoyed these first two books of a trilogy written by this author. The storyline is interesting. Women in society at the time were treated very unusually and these women are portrayed as strong and independent (a change from the norm). The men in the romantic lead are also unusual and are brothers. I am looking forward to reading the last story in the trilogy.
Jenny Eldridge
Feb 08, 2016 Jenny Eldridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mary-balogh
I loved both books & what a great value to get 2 books of a series in 1. I also loved that after hearing the Duke of Tresham's story, the 2nd book picks up 2 yrs & 2 kids later, so you know the love match did seem a truly 'happy ever after' story. The 2nd book, Lord Ferdinand's story is quite unusual, and I think will be a lasting love as well.
Cindy
Jun 14, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the first 2 books of the trilogy.
Book 1 is Jocelyn's story. Regency romance with sex. This is one of my favorite MB historical romances.
I loved Jane, the heroine & I loved Jocelyn the hero. Both have a lot of chemistry together.

No Man's Mistress : 3 stars.
This is Ferdinand's story. He wins an estate gambling with friends & finds out there's already a pretty young woman living there. Viola was given Pinewood manor 2 years ago & does NOT intend to give it up.

This was only
Rebecca
Jan 31, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The three stars are for No Man's Mistress. I'd give More Than a Mistress two stars, maybe two and a half. I wanted to like it more than I did. One minute the characters were amusing, the next they'd be annoying the crap out of me. They make cameo appearances in the second book, which I found much stronger overall, and they are much less annoying in small doses. Why did I bother reading the second book when I didn't like the first book that much? Well, obviously, because it was there. Which only ...more
Sandra Lake
Jan 23, 2015 Sandra Lake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The elegant tones and graceful air about her female characters always impress me. I love the simplicity to the way her stories just naturally pull you in and don't let you go until the very last page.
Mellanie C
Jul 16, 2016 Mellanie C marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jun 08, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Tresham and Ferdinand meet their mistresses/wives. I've read the first before and liked it okay. The second was good and then it got a bit bizarre.
Da Kamel
Jun 03, 2013 Da Kamel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy
Jan 19, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought a few times that these two stories were a little like Pretty Woman meets a Regency romance, at least in some aspects. I probably felt about the same about both stories - enjoyable, some different plot lines than I've read in the period pieces but didn't entirely catch me.
Melissa
Mar 27, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was disapointing that the surprise weddings were merely mentioned but not described but I loved every second of them.
Jocylyn Teoh
Aug 25, 2014 Jocylyn Teoh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the more than mistress. Love the story very much!
Isabelle
Mar 12, 2016 Isabelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
Dhaverma
May 03, 2014 Dhaverma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-period
Loved this book. Did it book-on-tape. Great characters, great writing, great romance.
Meagan
Nov 09, 2012 Meagan rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
This is my first experience reading Mary Balogh, and in spite of what an extraordinarily long time it took me to finish the poor book, I think I will likely read her again. There are nice, three-dimensional characters, and plenty of conflict that doesn't rely too much on the hero and heroine not talking to each other. (I hate The Big Misunderstanding and Seeecrets as the main source of conflict.). A pair of nice, sweet, emotional love stories.
Polly Watson
Mar 29, 2012 Polly Watson rated it liked it
This won't let me add the book(s) when I've read them a second time. That's a bummer. I do read Mary Balogh's books often, especially after reading something that's tough and emotional for me.....I just finished all three of THE HUNGER GAMES as well as GONE WITH THE WIND. Even though I'd read these books earlier this year, I couldn't help reading them again!!!!
Samia Ruponti
More than a mistress in extremely similar to The Secret Pearl. Other than this, I enjoyed the story immensely. To bad I can't say the same about no man's mistress. That's why it got a three stars in stead of four! ;)
Donna
Sep 08, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two enjoyable Regency romances that take place within one family. Independent, feisty women, troubled but caring men, humour, conflict, happy endings - what more can one ask for. Especially enjoyed glimpses of Tresham the "family" man in the second book. Looking forward to reading Angeline's story.
Donna
Aug 16, 2016 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Neither of the stories in this book were all that great. In More Than a Mistress Jocelyn was overbearing and cruel and in No Man's Mistress Viola/Lillian was childish and immature. Neither character to me was all that redeemable. Not one of Ms Balogh's better efforts.
Larisa
Aug 24, 2012 Larisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, nook
Perfectly delicious pair of stories. Jocleyn has healthy dollop of Wulfric in him. Ferdinand sets everything on its ear and comes out even more swoonworthy than he started off.

All the hallmarks of a long term annual, or when needing comfort, read.
Jess Candela
I read the first one and enjoyed it, but not enough to be motivated to read the second. I just realized this has been hanging around on my "currently reading" shelf for a while, even though I'm no longer currently reading it.
kathie
3.75 stars for this one (More than a Mistress). Not one of my favorite Mary Balogh books but it did get better as it went along. Did not read No Man's Mistress yet.
Tara
Feb 18, 2012 Tara rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I usually love Mary Balogh, but I had a hard time with these two stories. The characters were hard to feel sympathetic towards, and they were often just plain unlikable.
Melissa
May 23, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These two stories were really good. I liked the F. Dudley story and wondered after reading the first what was going to happen to him.
Kristin
Jun 09, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved these two stories...will definately be on the "to be read again" list. Can't wait to finish off the trilogy with "secret mistress".
  • A Lady of Expectations and Other Stories
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
  • The Wayward One (The de Montforte Brothers, #5)
  • An Affair Without End (Willowmere, #3)
  • Dangerous in Diamonds (The Rarest Blooms, #4)
  • A Wedding Wager (Blackwater Brides, #2)
  • Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • The Earl's Scandalous Wife (Marriage by Scandal Book 4)
  • The Barefoot Princess (Lost Princesses, #2)
  • The Lady's Secret
  • The Bargain (Regency #1)
  • Reckless
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...

Mistress (3 books)
  • More Than a Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1)
  • No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)