The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)

The Big Dig (Carlotta Carlyle #9)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,121 ratings  ·  50 reviews

Carlotta Carlyle, the six-foot-tall redheaded private investigator, thought that working undercover searching out fraud on Boston's Big Dig would be a challenging assignment. After all, the Big Dig, the creation of a central artery tunnel running beneath crowded downtown Boston is an engineering marvel, the largest urban construction project in modern history, a fourteen b
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published March 1st 2002)

David
I've read one other mystery written by this author and featuring this female private investigator. This one features the P.I. going undercover on a big freeway tunnel project in Boston.

First, regarding the setting. I don't get the same feel for Boston as I do in Dennis Lehane's novels. Perhaps Lehane lives in a grimmer and grittier Boston than Barnes-- but I just don't feel Boston as she writes-- on the other hand, never having visited Boston, her depiction of Beantown may be a bit closer than...more
Jerry
Barnes back after 4 years off - story is fair but not great...

We include ourselves in the Linda Barnes' fan club having read her previous dozen books (4 - Sprague, 8 - Carlyle); so naturally we awaited this latest in the zany P.I. Carlotta Carlyle series with great interest despite the 4-year hiatus since her 1999 "Flashpoint". Set against the multi-billion dollar Boston highway/tunnel project of the same nickname, "Dig" offers just enough of our familiar characters to please, but a somewhat co...more
Bob
Carlotta Carlyle, ex Boston Cop and now a self employed PI and some time Cab driver gets a job working undercover with various companies working on the Big Dig in Boston. There have been rumors of kickbacks, overcharges etc and she is poking around to see if its true. She is also approached by a woman who hires her to look for her missing border, a young woman who just took off and left her things and dog behind. After doing several jobs she ends up working in the field office of one of the cont...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

A bit disappointing on the whole. After a long wait for the latest of Carlotta Carlyle's adverntures I wasn't as thrilled as I hoped to be.

I was pleased with the way Barnes is taking Carlotta's character forwards and the directions that some of the recurring characters are going off in wasn't what I would have expected - this is a good thing. Whether it's true or not I'm not sure, but it feels to me like this series has used the 'two unrelated plotlines veering together on a collision course'

Barbara
Boston's answer to Kinsey Milhone, Carlotta Carlyle, returns in a slippery adventure that sees her going undercover on the world's largest construction project. However, she gets a second job from an elegantly dressed woman who asks her to find her roommate named Veronica James (Veejay). Her fraud investigation on the Dig stalls, but then a construction worker with ties to the company's owners turns up dead, and a break-in at Veronica's home up the stakes considerably.

This is the second Carlott...more
Maddy
PI Carlotta Carlyle is having a string of bad luck. She's still recovering from a gunshot wound to her leg, and her financial situation isn't good. An old friend, Eddie Conklin, who runs a successful security firm, hires her to investigate fraud on the Big Dig construction project in Boston. She gets a second job from a wealthy woman whose tenant has gone missing. I've always enjoyed the Carlotta Carlyle books, but this one is weak. The 2 investigations don't go very far until the book has almos...more
Spuddie
Another solid entry in this series featuring Boston PI Carlotta Carlyle as she sub-contracts to a big investigation firm to look into problems on a construction site on 'The Big Dig.' She's also hired by a wealthy society woman to find her renter who has disappeared with her Jeep. The reader for this one was different from past books and at times I found her inflections a bit annoying...also, all the characters EXCEPT Carlotta, who is indeed Boston-born and bred, had the Boston accent, and they...more
Maura
entertaining fluff. a bit heavy on the namedropping when trying to describe a scene -- instead of convincing me that it really was set in Boston, it just jarred me out of the story. especially since the protagonist was drinking coffee throughout the story and never once made mention of Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks -- completely unbelievable. :) but put this book in the hands of an occasional Boston tourist, and it would probably ring pretty true and only be an occasionally offputting style.
Rachel
I liked this okay. I was intrigued by the mystery portion enough to continue reading but I thought it was a bit too entertwined. How many private investigators start with two clients and seperate searches only to find out they are not only linked together but basically the same search. I don't know, not as believeable as I like. I also didn't love the language etc so common in these types of books. I guess I should give up finding some good, well thought, clean, mysteries.
Marleen
I love the dynamics of the Carlotta Carlysle books. She is definitely one of my favorite PI. She's such an interesting character. Complex, smart and generous.
The Big Dig deserves the 4 stars I give here because it's fast-paced & interesting. Most of all because it's main character is the city of Boston, a city I love very much and that I just visited again this Summer (traveling from Belgium to the US each year). I love the city more each time I'm there.
Elaine
This book is fiction but I'm thinking there is fact in there. I'm interested in reading it cos I visit Boston regularly.

Good story line with a twist. The ending stunk.

This $6.99 Kindle version has poor editing to the point where it's sometimes difficult to know who is speaking as there's no delineation at those times. This Kindle edition was so messed up, it repeated the last several chapters more than once.

3 1/2 stars
Erikka
one good thing about this book - the many fun and recognizable Boston locales mentioned in this story. otherwise, very bland mystery story focused around the Big Dig. there is a weird plot twist, but it didn't lend that much to my excitement or interest levels in continuing this book. I did finish, but when I did it was so anti-climatic and blasé it was not worth the time it took to do so.
Shannon Renee
Well, I'm sorta on the fence about this book. I might be at a disadvantage because there are other books in this series I haven't read. (I didn't know that until I was half way into this one though). It was good, espically the ending. However, I am on the fence about the main character. I plan on starting back from the beginning abd giving Carlotta another try.
Linda Weatherbee
Linda Barnes' mysteries are another good selection for fans of female p.i.'s who have great, snappy dialog and are located in the Boston area. I read all of them, but sadly, she's not come out with new ones recently. I did not enjoy her Michael Spraggue novel - she's not as good with gender reversals as Robert Parker is.
james
This is one of a series of novels featuring Carlotta Carlyle a funky detective/snooper. She investigates corruption, and then murder, on the construction project in Boston known as the Big Dig. It's a central traffic artery that costs more than a fleet of nuclear aircraft carriers. It's a quick, fun read.
Karen
A Murder mystery taking place in Boston , Tewksbury MA, and Derry NH. I lived 25 years in this area and it was fun to trace character movements through familiar territory. I also was living there during all the Big Dig controverses so wonder what is fact and what is fiction.
Leonard
Sue
Not a bad read - I had a hard time getting into the book but I think it was me. Maybe I wasn't ready to start a new book. It had a good ending and went fairly quick after I became engaged in the story. My first time for author Linda Barnes.
Monty
This is the first book I've read about Carlotta Carlyle, PI from Boston, and I loved it. It started off a little complicated but eventually everything fell into place, and I had trouble putting the book down. I plan to read more in this series.
Valerie
If you are a fan of Sue Grafton or Nevada Barr, you will enjoy Linda Barnes. This is a quick read and it's a fairly good mystery. Carolotta Carlyle is a fun character and I look forward to reading more books in the series.
Liza Gilbert
I have read all of Barnes' books, but this one captivated me the most. Barnes' research into the Big Dig project in Boston was superb. She actually made me want to fly to Massachusetts to stare at a big hole in the ground.
Vickie
The Big Dig went on forever in Boston (just east of the small Massachusetts town in which I live). It was interesting reading detective fiction about an event that has received a lot of publicity in this area.
Mary_ellen Batcho
This is just as I expected an intense read. Linda has once again developed very believable characters and this was hard to put down in order to get some sleep. I think you will enjoy this greatly.
Jacque Sherbak
Great mystery with wonderfully developed characters and locale. I was hooked on Carlotta. After I read this book, I backtracked and read every one. I now own all 12; that GOOD!
Ann
I read a lot of these books in the 80s, maybe 90s. Not quite as good as I remember. Either they've changed or I have, or both. Still a fun read though.
Saadia
Very interesting!
Good setting for thriller and interesting psychological setup for the heroine PI character. Boston seems a grim and gritty town.
Jeanne
I'm surprised there haven't been more novels set in Boston around the area of the Big Dig. This was really good.
Janetlee
I enjoy reading the Carlotta Carlyle mysteries! Good character development and some suspense.
Debbie Mcdonald
I've read several of the Carlotta Carlyle books. Consistently entertaining--light mysteries.
Andie1040
Great story! Love Carlotta- a female PI who is truly her own person, in all aspects of her life.
  • Trophies and Dead Things (Sharon McCone, #11)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9)
  • Flashback (Anna Pigeon, #11)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi...more
More about Linda Barnes...
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5) Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)