Start by marking “Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children” as Want to Read:
Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children

Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Some children are simply too naughty for Mother Goose to handle. Luckily her sister Spinster Goose knows just how to deal with these uncouth urchins. Her school is home to some world-class troublemakers: they bite and pinch, they talk back and fight--they eat chalk! But brats beware--this isn’t just any school, and Spinster isn't your average goose. Her curious m ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Spinster Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spinster Goose

Relyn
Mar 17, 2013 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I'll read anything Sophie Blackall illustrates.
Shelves: lawsonland
Well, first of all, I love Sophie Blackall. Secondly, I thought the kids would enjoy this naughty twist. I was right. This book was in use (see below) constantly for the entire month.

Classroom Connection
As an educator, one of my goals is for my students to experience poetry in a way that will help them understand how to read it and learn to love it. I want my students to learn to read poetry for pleasure. I did not learn to love poetry until I was in college working on my minor in English Liter
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
When children are too naughty to learn from Mother Goose, she sends them to her sister, Spinster Goose. Spinster Goose is the head master of her very own school. She runs a tight ship and delivers harsh consequences. The verses paint a vivid picture of how the students and staff carry out their days at the school for naughty children.

The verses are humorous and the illustrations pair well but there are some stereotypes and generalizations made that don't account for the many factors that contrib
Barbara
Since some children are too difficult for the sweet-natured Mother Goose to handle, she sends these scoundrels to her sister, the much stricter Spinster Goose. The twenty-seven nursery rhymes that follow the misbehaving children are all, indeed, twists on the familiar Mother Goose rhymes. These aren't sweet little stories, but the author's own take on what should happen to those who don't know how to behave. There is much to enjoy in this collection as Bobby Shaftoe, Jack and Jill, and even Baa ...more
Jacoba
Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children by Lisa Wheeler (2011)
Children's Rhymes, parodies
Book
Plot summary: Traditional Mother Goose nursery rhymes are rewritten, depicting unruly students attending the school of Spinster Goose.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory: No special considerations
Review citation (if available):Kirkus Reviews , 2/15/2011, Vol. 79 Issue 4, p337-337, 1/4p
Section source used to find the material: School Library Journal review
Recommended age: Ages 7
Marybeth
I usually love this kind of thing (George who played with a dangerous toy & suffered a catastrophe of considerable dimensions by Hilaire Belloc is one of my favorites) but this was just, well, flat. The crimes were sketchy (poor hygiene, okay; fibbing & stealing, absolutely; but hair twirling?). It isn't colorful or exciting enough to hold a child's interest or useful enough for a teacher or parent.
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
This is a wickedly funny collection of twised nursery rhymes. Elementary school-age children are sure to love these unusual takes on classic mother goose rhymes. Some of the poems are obviously tied to the original poems, and others are quite original. The illustrations are colorful and hilarious, complementing the poems nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Paula Gallagher
Sophie Blackall remains one of my favorite illustrators; the success of the rhymes are dependent upon her pale, ghastly children. This is not for the little ones--fans of Edward Gorey will rejoice.
I loved nursery rhymes as a child and Sophie Blackall, the illustrator, is one of my favorites!

That being said, this is a strange collection of twisted nursery rhymes and I have to say that I'm not sure that it's really appropriate for a K-5 audience. Mother Goose sends "uncouth urchins" to her sister, Spinster Goose, so she can whip them into shape. Each nursery rhyme describes what happens to the naughty children. For example, Baa Baa Black Sheep because 'The Swearer,' a sheep who bleats until
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked the premise of this collection of twisted nursery rhymes-- that naughty children are sent to Spinster Goose's school for punishment. Some of the rhymes described life in the school, while others described some of the naughty students. What I expected was poems about how each of these naughty children get their punishment or learn their lesson at this school, but that only happened in a few poems. I think that's why I was disappointed with the book as a whole. I did particularly like a fe ...more
David Turner
A wonderful book to read with children! This book gives the classic Mother Goose fairy tales that every child has grown up with a twist to the traditional story. This book is inventive and children love hearing the retelling of classic fairy tales with new protagonists and antagonists and story lines. Reading this book after refreshing your memory with the classics, that this book is based off of, allows the reader and audience to compare and contrast the classic tale with the new, twisted tale.
Kristen Jorgensen
I didn't think the art was extraordinary and it didn't even seem to inspire. Where Charlie and the Chocolate Factory takes a bad habit and in a humorous style raises awareness or even sparks change in children, Spinster Goose: Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children seems to be just a bit-- blah. Maybe it's just not my style, or perhaps it went just a little to far. Either way I can live without this book on my shelf.
Betsy
Very clever. Very.

Children who are familiar with common Mother Goose-style nursery rhymes (think: Jack and Jill, Mary Had a Little Lamb, Georgie Porgie, and others) will recognize their "naughty" counterparts in this well written companion. The naughty behaviors of these dastardly children include such evils as gum-chewing, being VERY dirty, and others. Illustrations offer dark humor as well that are the perfect complement.

In short, children who enjoy dark comedy, enjoy wordplay and recognizing
Melissa
What a perfectly wicked book to remind my boys of how NOT to be naughty this time of year!!
Annelise
Comeuppance has never felt finer.
Julie
This is a book that's better in theory than execution. Blackall's illustrations are excellent, as always, but the book doesn't hang together, at least not as a children's book. Yes, it's yet another "picture book for adults." It reminded me a lot of Tim Burton's The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories, another book of dark rhymes (although Spinster Goose wasn't as original.)
Rosa
So I really really wanted this to be amazing and it was just kind of meh. So it's a book of Mother Goose rhymes turned on their heads, where the children are all bad and Spinster Goose (mother's sister) punishes them. Some of the ryhmes; the Introduction, Spinster Goose, The Thief, Student of the Week, The Ditchers, The Bully really worked for me. Others just kind of fell flat. Either the rhyme schemes were off or something in the rhyme felt dumb rather than funny and it just didn't work.
babyhippoface
I didn't really enjoy the poems here, but I can see a possible use in secondary creative writing classrooms, where an instructor might have students read these poems, then write a "twisted" rhyme of their own based on another Mother Goose rhyme. However, I think he/she would definitely have to spend some time introducing the class to the original rhymes, because most of today's kids don't know the Mother Goose rhymes. That said, the humor here would be lost on them without prior instruction.
Dianna
Spinster Goose runs a school for naughty children. These poems inspired by nursery rhymes describe the naughty things the children do—and usually the punishment/consequence, too. I think these would be perfect for second- or third-graders. My four-year-old hasn't started school yet so I skipped some of them as I didn't want him to think that being naughty is cool or that he needs to be afraid of his teachers.
S.K.
This was REALLY funny to me, an adult reader. I knew the original nursery rhymes and loved the tarrying in darker waters. The illustrations were eerily cute.

I read it aloud to my 5-year old twin girls, and I wasn't too sure they understood some of the vocabulary. They definitely didn't get the references or have the proper context to "get" it.

Alicia
I can't decide if I liked this book or not. It's dark rhymes about famous Mother Goose characters are smart and witty, but kind of depressing (the characters are all very naughty and incarcerated in a juvenile detention-style school). It has fantastic illustrations. I might recommend this to older kids who like Lemony Snicket and Neil Gaiman.
Cherie
Genre: Poetry
Copyright: 2010
Thoughts: Very funny set of poems about what Spinster Goose does to misbehaving students. All of the usual Mother Goose characters are included (Jack Sprat, Humpty Dumpty, etc). Humor is a little complicated for younger readers, but they'd probably still enjoy the naughty children theme anyhow.
Amy
This will probably appeal to Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket, dark humor types, but even then I don't know that it is suitable for younger readers. I found some of the rhymes (Baa Baa Black Sheep) entertaining and funny, but I can think of more kids who would be frightened or confused by these rhymes than I can who would like them.
Angie
I quite enjoyed these twisted mother goose tales but I am not sure they are appropriate for younger audiences. They may be more suited for elementary age students. I think they are very clever and smart nursery rhymes and funnyand too. I love the sparse illustrations they really enhance the tales.
Donalyn
I don't think kids are the audience for this parody of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. It's dark, but not funny, with a negative view of children that made me uncomfortable. I plan to pass it to a few open-minded young readers to see what they make of it.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
There are books that will find an audience but that audience isn't me. As a result I tend not to rate them. Some will like these twisted nursery rhymes and will even share with a class. I am not certain I would feel comfortable in doing so.
Stefani
The subtitle is true-- these ARE very twisted rhymes. Most of them are funny, while others are creepy and downright mean. Definitely for older kids, and a few of the rhymes I could see pulling out for a school-age storytime.
Laura Salas
Funny, twisted, modern takes on nursery rhymes. Jack and Jill get busted, etc. Spinster Goose runs a school for all the naughty kids, the ones too tough for Mpther Goose to handle. Especially fun for 4th grade or so.
Heidi
I acknowledge the talent and wit behind these poems. But they aren't quite to my taste. I know plenty of others who will find them funny though. But I wouldn't recommend them for any of the younger crowd.
Nancy Jo Lambert
While I agree that this book had a darker humor, I see elementary kids really liking that! Especially older kids who have grown out of Mother Goose, but into poetry and witty, clever things.
Deanna
This picture book is certainly not for everyone. I would recommend it to twisted parents, such as myself, and fans of Adam Rex's Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich and Frankenstein Takes the Cake.
  • Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Vunce Upon a Time
  • Always In Trouble
  • Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs
Jazz Baby Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story Ugly Pie Boogie Knights