Start by marking “Conto alla rovescia. James Bond 007” as Want to Read:
Conto alla rovescia. James Bond 007

Conto alla rovescia. James Bond 007 (Raymond Benson's Bond #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A dieci giorni dall'insediamento del nuovo governo cinese, una serie di attentati sconvolge Hong Kong. Il servizio segreto britannico incarica James Bond dell'indagine, ma la missione si trasforma ben presto in una disperata corsa contro il tempo, una letale partita di mahjong contro un avversario spietato. "Conto alla rovescia" è la prima avventura di una saga che ha rest ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 308 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Alacrán (first published May 5th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Conto alla rovescia. James Bond 007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conto alla rovescia. James Bond 007

Ahren
James Bond prevents catastrophe at the 1997 hand-off of Hong Kong to China. The gadgets are minimal to non-existent, and the plot is fairly predictable, yet solid Bond faire. Zero Minus Ten marks Raymond Benson's first full-length entry in the Bond pantheon and is a good read for those interested in British/Chinese history. Locales include, Jamaica, Hong Kong, Macau, Kowloon, and the Australian outback.
Carson
"He had learned long ago how to deal with it and turn the pain into an asset that contributed to his self-made shell--the hardened, tough armour that protected him from the inevitably maddening, and conceivably fatal, aspects of consciousness called human emotions."

Wow.

While being respectful to the John Gardner novels, Raymond Benson resuscitates the long dormant Ian Fleming James Bond 007. He's smoking, swilling martinis and brandishing a Walther PPK once more, surrounded by beautiful women, wo
David
The last James Bond novel I read was so overwhelmingly disappointing I was afraid to try this one. Of course, the fact that a new author has taken over the series gave me a small measure of hope.

I was not disappointed. Zero Minus Ten was an excellent example of what a James Bond novel should be. A story that was believeable, bad guys that are clever, an appropriate amnount of Red herrings/side missions, and finally, a threat of catastrophe large enough to make Bond's mission meaningful.

This no
Stephen
Three stars, but just barely. ZERO MINUS TEN has some intriguing moments, and the plot, in general, is actually pretty solid. It's a step up from John Gardner's inane entries in the series, but this is still a far cry from Ian Fleming's Bond. 007 still has some rough edges, but what ostensibly passes for Bond having "gained wisdom from his experiences" reeks of political correctness. Beyond that, though, the writing often slips into long-winded details that don't naturally flow into the narrativ ...more
Patrick
Benson's books read like rejected screenplays for Bond films that were never made -- not surprising since he wrote the novelizations of several of the Brosnan-era 007 movies. These books would likely be entertaining for anyone who has not read the Ian Fleming novels, especially young Bond fans who were indoctrinated into the series during Brosnan or Craig's tenure as the British super spy. However, once you've read the work of superior Bond novelists (even Sebastian Faulk's Devil May Care was be ...more
William
The first of the 007 instalments by Raymond Benson was pretty good compared to Gardner's. Benson's Bond was much closer to Fleming's: more ruthless and full of bad habits than Gardner's. There was more focus on action over gadgets, which was refreshing. As with Gardner, Benson drifted way from Fleming's more simplistic plots and went with the multiple exotic locations trend of the movies. While setting the story in the "present day" (1990s at the time), thus continuing more or less where Gardner ...more
Stacy
This was my first ever James Bond book. I love Bond movies and my hubby has read all the Fleming Bond books along with a ton of other 007 books, including the Raymond Benson books. So, I finally took the plunge and read my first one. Unfortunately, this just didn't quite grab me. However, I was laid up with my back blown out while reading this - so being in intense constant pain might very well have skewed my opinion of the book. But, I just didn't feel connected with any of the characters, even ...more
Hunter Williams
Terrible let down after reading Kingsley Amis's effort. This one by Raymond Benson is written like a fan fiction cross-over of Roger Moore-era James Bond and James Clavell's Noble House
Steve Mitchell
Raymond Benson’s first novel in the James Bond series – his short story Blast from the Past appeared in the January 1997 issue of Playboy magazine – follows on from where John Gardner left off. Bond returns to being the cold and distant ruthless bastard that Ian Fleming envisioned and Gardner had turned into an introspective emotional wreck. Benson also does not fall into the trap of trying to write realistic dialogue that made some of Fleming’s books – I’m thinking of Live and Let Die here – ex ...more
Cory
This was patchy. The action scenes were solid, but too much of it was trying to imitate Fleming -- a mah-jong game in the place of the bridge game, a judiciously applied cane, detailed scenic description (except without Fleming's language, so it just felt clunky). There was too much exposition, particularly at the beginning, and I don't know about the depiction of Hong Kong, but as an Australian the depiction of Australia rang very false. Not on of the better post-Fleming attempts.
Daniel Callister
I've read all of his other james bond books and really loved them, but this one was actually pretty lame. it was ok for a quick read that didn't require much brain power, but nothing to recommend by any means. It was high school when i read all the others, so maybe my tastes have just matured since then :)
Stewart Sternberg
Benson has given us a fine entry into the 007 series but there were attempts to mimick Fleming that could have been dispensed with, such as the endless info dumps and the never-ending description of a gambling event...a majong game. Benson would have done better being himself.
James
This book felt too formulaic. The author felt the need to explain many of the Bond conventions and was unable to do so unobtrusively.
Doreen
hmm... james bond can speak cantonese and proficient in mahjong... plotwise - i find it okayish.
David Garcia
Good read. Better than THE FACTS OF DEATH, but definitely not on par with my top 3.
Aiisa
now where near as good as the original Ian Fleming's Bond
Kkinugawa
The book was written by Raymond Benson who is an appointed success of Ian Fleming. While the story itself is interesting, it is unavoidable to compare the book to the one written by Ian Fleming. Comparing to the stories which were written by Ian Fleming, I felt a lot of points of difference, and I eventually became to feel awkward in the way Raymond Benson had demonstrated the story. From this point of view, if you are enthusiastic admirer of James Bond and looking for exactly same style of writ ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
This is an O.K. Bond screenplay, but a bit disappointing book. It seems to me the author was writing the book with a movie in mind, what happened to the aging secret agent going through mid-life crisis? What happened to the kinky, chauvinistic, alcoholic, cold blooded killer we all know and love?
Don't get me wrong, I liked the story, even if it is predictable, and I enjoyed reading the book, I guess it's not the Bond I'm used to.

My fault .... but if you are looking for a nice, light, Sunday afte
Martyn Perry
Bond is back. Whilst nowhere near the brilliance of the Fleming originals, this is a nice addition to the Bond canon.

Benson is clearly a Bond fan, his references to both Fleming and Gardner's book series are worthy and within context of the story, but also serve to reward the Bond geeks like me that have read every book up to this point.

Whilst his writing sometimes lets him down, he certainly knows how to craft a thrilling and tight plot, filled with the action and character beats all fans expec
Lehah
To put it bluntly. Zero Minus Ten is a workhorse novel. You can see all the twists coming, all the set-ups with every T crossed and every I dotted. That doesn't mean it's bad but as you're reading it, you're "out thinking the plot". Overall a solid effort for a 007 story but nothing especially riveting either. Benson's overuse of the exclamation point is very irritating however - writers should make actions exciting, not merely point them out by punctuation.
Guera
I loved this book. The first of the James Bond books I read and I will certainly read more. I saw our local permanent flea market has a few of them.

The character and event descriptions are vivid and real. No unrealistic stuff. The story moves, has unexpected twists and is much like the movies.....of which I have seen ALL!
writegeist
Not as good as I'd hoped, but it was a quick, guilty-pleasure read. I'd like Bond to be more intelligent, but maybe I've been ruined by Jack Reacher (Lee Child's creation). Maybe Bond has outlived his days. However, I have the other five Raymond Benson books, so I'll probably get through them eventually.
Kim Smith
This is my first James Bond book and while I found it to be a good read, I didn't find it exciting enough. The plot is thin, James gets over his head with a girl (no surprises there), and makes a lot of mistakes in the process. Go back to London, James, and stay there!
Viktor Goldmann-görög
Benson and 007 is the best combination strange thing that the book is written in the brosnan played era but this bond according to benson will be a hybrid of moore and brosnen and M is always dench styled M thx mr benson
Aaron
This book is what you get when a publisher asks the #1 franchise fan to write his "dream" book about the subject and you end up with cliche after cliche with a little plot thrown in to carry it for two hundred pages.
Diane Scannell
This book was only "okay". It is hard to imagine a "realistic" situation for Bond to show his skills and Q's inventions adequately. Any writer has big shoes to fill when attempting to emulate Ian Flemming.
Wyatt
Well-paced with plenty of action - a bit more Fleming-esque than Gardner's works, but also with a bit of the movie-Bond mixed in... an impressive debut entry for Benson into the Bond continuation series.
Daniel
This was advertised as the "return of Bond!" - but it doesn't even begin to live up to expectations. It's as if Benson never read a Fleming book, or even watched one of the films.
Matthew Vanbuskirk
A great Bond thriller. It keeps you engrossed. The only problem I saw was that the final couple of chapters were just way too fast and didn't seem realistic at all.
Roy McDine
Reads like a travelogue for a good many pages - too much detail in 'setting the scene'.
Not one I would worry about reading again.
  • Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
  • Octopussy & the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
  • Solo
  • The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel (The Moneypenny Diaries, #1)
Raymond Benson has been an author, composer, computer game designer, stage director, film historian, and film genres instructor for over thirty years. He is also the fourth official author of the James Bond 007 novels.

More about Raymond Benson...

Raymond Benson's Bond (6 books)
  • The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)
  • High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3)
  • Doubleshot (James Bond, #4)
  • Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)
  • The Man With the Red Tattoo (Raymond Benson's Bond, #6)
Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1) Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2) Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3) High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3) The Black Stiletto: The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1)