Start by marking “Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World's Longest Cave” as Want to Read:
Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World's Longest Cave

Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World's Longest Cave

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World’s Longest Cave, James D. Borden and Roger W. Brucker provide gripping first-person accounts of the discoveries, including Roppel Cave, that made Kentucky’s Mammoth Cave three times longer than any other cave in the world.

Borden, a relative newcomer, and Brucker, a veteran explorer, bring a personal and sometimes conf
Published November 20th 2000 by Southern Illinois University Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Mammoth Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Mammoth Cave

Daniel
The continuation of the story told in The Longest Cave, this book details further explorations in the Mammoth cave system and its eventual connection to surrounding caves of the area. Where The Longest Cave detailed explorations up till the early 1970's, this details later explorations through the mid 1980's.

Much more emphasis on the politics and petty rivalries of the cavers in question is detailed however. By the end of the book I almost wanted to slap all those involved for being so selfish a
Betterthanfiction
I picked up this book earlier in the fall when we were vacationing at Mammoth Cave. Tag-teaming in an occasionally confusing way, Borden and Brucker tell of their various exploits exploring and mapping Mammoth Cave and the ensuing connection to Roppel Cave, making Mammoth Cave by far the largest cave system in the world. Caving is a combination of excitement and adventure accompanied by cold, damp, dark and LOTS of politics. Interspersed with stories about climbs and digs through various newly-d ...more
Critter Reyome
So I was looking at my bookshelf the other day, wondering what to read next, and my eyes lit on Brucker and Borden's "Beyond Mammoth Cave". I've had it for years, every semi-serious caver probably does, and probably they've all read them more than once.

Not me. Just once. See, for the past several years, going on five, I haven't even set foot underground. True, I'm far past the sort of condition to be crawling around in the mud anymore, and my circle of caving friends has shrunk vastly as a resul
Tamra
My 11-year-old daughter saw me reading this book and said, "Is that book interesting?" She said it in such a way that it was obvious she would never believe me if I said yes. I decided to be honest. I read her a typical paragraph and asked, "Was that interesting?" "No."

Then I showed her the progression of maps throughout the book and how they found more and more cave and linked everything together, and THEN her eyes lit up. I said, "THAT'S why it's interesting."

This book is a fascinating study
David Hegland
Excellent read for anyone with even a passing interest in project caving.
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Lavawitch
Lavawitch marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Logan Logsdon
Logan Logsdon marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Stephen Cranney
Stephen Cranney marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Jessica Weaver
Jessica Weaver marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Yue
Yue is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Rebecca Craig
Rebecca Craig marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013