Start by marking “Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World's Longest Cave” as Want to Read:
Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World's Longest Cave

Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World's Longest Cave

In Beyond Mammoth Cave: A Tale of Obsession in the World’s Longest Cave, James D. Borden and Roger W. Brucker provide gripping first-person accounts of the discoveries, including Roppel Cave, that made Kentucky’s Mammoth Cave three times longer than any other cave in the world.

Borden, a relative newcomer, and Brucker, a veteran explorer, bring a personal and sometimes conf
Published November 20th 2000 by Southern Illinois University Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Mammoth Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Mammoth Cave

Daniel
Nov 14, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
The continuation of the story told in The Longest Cave, this book details further explorations in the Mammoth cave system and its eventual connection to surrounding caves of the area. Where The Longest Cave detailed explorations up till the early 1970's, this details later explorations through the mid 1980's.

Much more emphasis on the politics and petty rivalries of the cavers in question is detailed however. By the end of the book I almost wanted to slap all those involved for being so selfish a
Critter Reyome
Jul 18, 2016 Critter Reyome rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default, caving
So I was looking at my bookshelf the other day, wondering what to read next, and my eyes lit on Brucker and Borden's "Beyond Mammoth Cave". I've had it for years, every semi-serious caver probably does, and probably they've all read them more than once.

Not me. Just once. See, for the past several years, going on five, I haven't even set foot underground. True, I'm far past the sort of condition to be crawling around in the mud anymore, and my circle of caving friends has shrunk vastly as a resul
Tamra
Jul 28, 2013 Tamra rated it liked it
Shelves: own-currently
My 11-year-old daughter saw me reading this book and said, "Is that book interesting?" She said it in such a way that it was obvious she would never believe me if I said yes. I decided to be honest. I read her a typical paragraph and asked, "Was that interesting?" "No."

Then I showed her the progression of maps throughout the book and how they found more and more cave and linked everything together, and THEN her eyes lit up. I said, "THAT'S why it's interesting."

This book is a fascinating study
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 Elaine Meszaros rated it liked it
I picked up this book earlier in the fall when we were vacationing at Mammoth Cave. Tag-teaming in an occasionally confusing way, Borden and Brucker tell of their various exploits exploring and mapping Mammoth Cave and the ensuing connection to Roppel Cave, making Mammoth Cave by far the largest cave system in the world. Caving is a combination of excitement and adventure accompanied by cold, damp, dark and LOTS of politics. Interspersed with stories about climbs and digs through various newly-d ...more
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Keith Chatten
Keith Chatten rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Kenna
Kenna rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Timothy W Miller
Timothy W Miller rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Allison Granger
Allison Granger rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2008
Juliann
Juliann rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Mark Swelstad
Mark Swelstad rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Alan Deehr
Alan Deehr rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Mike Mullin
Mike Mullin rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Betty R. Stewart
Betty R. Stewart rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Gilbert
Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2008
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Rudi Bega
Rudi Bega rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
David Hegland
Sep 14, 2012 David Hegland rated it really liked it
Excellent read for anyone with even a passing interest in project caving.
Roadhouse
Roadhouse rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2011
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2011
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Don
Don rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Justinbbolles
Justinbbolles rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
D.L. Thomas
D.L. Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014