Start by marking “Baa Baa Smart Sheep” as Want to Read:
Baa Baa Smart Sheep

Baa Baa Smart Sheep

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Little Baa Baa is bored. When Quirky Turkey comes along, the opportunity to make some mischief proves too hard to resist.
Hardcover
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about Baa Baa Smart Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baa Baa Smart Sheep

Jonathan Peto
Nov 07, 2013 Jonathan Peto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I actually didn't read it. The author visited the school I work at and read it. The illustrations and format reminded me of Moe Williams a bit, and so did the simple text. Despite those similarities, it is its own creation. I love picture books that feature animals talking and interacting with each other, even if the story involves... poop.

The story could easily inspire conversations about bullying, responsibility, and the complex gray area that exists between lying and deceiving.
Dylan Teut
Apr 05, 2016 Dylan Teut rated it did not like it
This is a collaborative review by my children's lit class.
Their thoughts....
"No. Just no."
"Do you want potty jokes in your classroom? Not appropriate to teach social emotional skills in this way."
"I like poop jokes but I did not like this book."
"There is a difference between poop jokes and eating poop."
"Portraying deception is not appropriate for young children."
"There should not be books about manipulation for young children."
Lola
Mar 20, 2016 Lola rated it did not like it
It's been a while since I've read a kids book. This is a baaad book. I'm certain that there are more intelligent ways to teach critical thinking for the 3-5 age range.
Tasha-Lynn
Mar 19, 2016 Tasha-Lynn rated it did not like it
Can I rate this -1?
paula
Nov 01, 2015 paula rated it did not like it
There are not that many universal taboos in human nature, and the few that seem to be hard-wired into our consciousness - as a species we abjure incest and cannibalism and avoid corpses and excrement - are there for extremely good health-related reasons.

So a book in which a character is tricked into eating poop is a baaaaaad idea.
Kelly
Feb 17, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
this is a book with poo in it..if you don't like poo jokes don't read it..if you do...THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!
Scope
Mar 29, 2016 Scope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is one of the more "You've gotta read this" picture books of the year. I agree with everything Paula said in her 1 star review, but for her same reasons, I'm going with a 5.
Niki Mclaren
0 stars. What an awful children's book. I am surprised this was even published.
Kim
May 11, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious! This is a must buy.
Cara
Jun 08, 2016 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nkyclear
Little Baa Baa the sheep is bored, and when Quirky Turkey asks what a pile of droppings is, Little Baa Baa tries to convince him that they are Smarty Tablets, which make you smarter if you eat them, but they’re only free to turkeys. Though suspicious, the turkey eats them anyway, but figures out what they are and spits them out. The next animal comes along, and the reader can assume that Little Baa Baa will repeat his trick. Most of the text is featured in speech bubbles above the animals. Simpl ...more
Kilie (The Falling Bookshelf)
This is literally the first picture book I've ordered for the library that I will not put on the shelf. This book is mean-spirited, nonsensical, and just plain bad.
Jill
May 04, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it's hilariously written and kids LOVE it. It's about a sheep who tricks a turkey into eating poo. I think adults are hesitant to read books like this to kids because bodily functions are sort of taboo in society, but my job is to get kids to enjoy reading, not make sure adults are comfortable all the time. If there's farting, puking, pooing or burping, it's usually a hit in my preschool story times. I read this to my preschoolers and they were laughing uncontrollably by ...more
Karyn
Feb 26, 2016 Karyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
Awful book not sure why it was even published. All it teaches is being nasty and tricking people.
Lynsey
Jul 06, 2012 Lynsey rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lynsey by: Steph
Shelves: 2012
So funny! Best read by a 3rd grade teacher, a la storytime.
Feb 22, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I want to give this book 1 star, but the illustrations are cute and I can imagine the story would be funny to kids and some adults.
The sheep tricks a turkey into eating poop. Yup. No lesson or moral or anything, just good ol' getting up to mischief. I guess the only lesson is that turkey, hopefully, won't be so trusting of sheep anymore.
It just seems plain mean-spirited to me.
Angela
Dec 18, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Ann
Apr 29, 2016 Rebecca Ann rated it it was amazing
I cannot believe this book exists. It is utterly hilarious and oh...so wrong. I would never try to read this to kids because they A-would be horrified/parents would kill me B-would love it and try to trick someone into eating poop. But I'm not going to lie...as an adult I love it.
Amy
May 02, 2016 Amy rated it it was ok
I had to see what all the fuss was about. And well...it's a funny/witty book. Out of the box. However, I really detest poop books. I don't know why, but I always have. Still...it did make me laugh and I get the love for it..
Dee-Ann
We had to read this twice. Very funny, simple and at one point we looked at each other and said 'oh no, this does not look good'. My boys want to know what happened to silly billy.
Angie
Apr 22, 2016 Angie rated it liked it
In this modern trickster tale from New Zealand, a sheep tricks a turkey into eating poo; it's not hard to predict the plot of its sequel “I Love Lemonade.”
Lori
Apr 13, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I can say with full confidence that you will either love this book or hate it.
It is really inappropriate. It is really funny.

Knitcookwrite
Mar 24, 2016 Knitcookwrite rated it really liked it
So funny! I'm hesitant to read this for storytime, but I love it. Not sure how some parents will react to the poo part.
Jennifer Miera
Bored sheep convinces Turkey to eat a pile of poo after convincing him that the poo is actually smarty tablets.
Susan
Nov 01, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young kids
Recommended to Susan by: Girl in Whitcoulls
I thought this book was funny. I can imagine young children getting lots of enjoyment from this book, in much the same way that Babette Coles books entertain.

It would be great to read along with younger children as it allows the child to repeat what you've just said while still following the words themselves and in turn learning how to read. I think all in all a success. though the pictures are not very bright but instead I would call beautiful drawing.

Seems a little bit like a hybrid between
Randy
Apr 26, 2016 Randy rated it liked it
it's amazing what trouble one can get into when one is bored. Look at what Little Baa Baa did.
Cara
Mar 07, 2016 Cara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm giving this 4 very, very wrong stars. I would love to read this to a 5th or 6th grade class.
Jillian Heise
Wasn't sure what to think of this one. Hilarious, but maybe a little inappropriate?
Sofie Brånedal
May 13, 2015 Sofie Brånedal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Manipulative children's books. Didn't know there were such a thing. Simple, clever and superfun!
Karen Dransfield
May 04, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The first to start off about Little Baa Baa and how he likes to trick folks. Very funny.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 05, 2016 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Prankster sheep convinces gullible turkey to eat poop. Good scatalogical fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »