Mistress by Marriage (Courtesan Court, #3)

Mistress by Marriage (Courtesan Court #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Their brief marriage was a disaster everywhere but in the bedroom. Baron Edward Christie was the most proper widower in the ton, and marrying the scandalous beauty was his one impulsive act. Yet before he puts Caroline out of his life, he must get her out of his blood... Caroline was prepared to hear that her husband wanted to divorce her, spare them both the torture of pa...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Brava (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress by Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress by Marriage

Romancing the Book
Review by Patti:
When I started reading this book I was not too pleased with the hero. Edward Christie was overly serious, proper and quite cold. Deep down he was a passionate man but he felt it was not appropriate actually act on those feelings. He was a widower who loved his first wife but they had a very proper and businesslike marriage.

Lady Caroline on the other hand is a very demonstrative passionate woman and feels she shouldn’t have to apologize for it. The marriage starts out very tumult...more
Chelsea
The premise of this book is essentially the "marriage in trouble" trope. Edward and Caroline are trapped in a terrible marriage. Edward is strict and stuffy. Caroline is wild. The two have amazing chemistry in bed, but can't get along outside of it. For most of their marriage, Caroline has been banished to Jane Street, a district usually reserved for rich gentleman's mistresses. Edward visits once a year so they can have sex, but otherwise she's left to her own devices. She makes friends with co...more
LuvGirl
2.5 stars. This started off ok but jumped the shark a few times with some TSTL scenes that threw me right out of the story. It had some decent parts that was pretty funny, but I think the author tried a bit too hard and ended up all over the place with too many implausible situations. It was good enough to make me interested in the series though, so I will try her again and see if I can get lucky the next time.
SidneyKay
Mandi Schreiner
I absolutely adored this book. I went in with a little trepidation because while I liked the first book in this series, Mistress by Mistake, I ended up not being able to finish the second book, Mistress by Midnight. But everything works in this third book.

Baron Edward Christie is a very controlled, regimented man. He wears the “Christie face” proudly, never allowing a hint of emotion to bleed onto his face. After his prim and proper wife dies, leaving him with three children, he does something a...more
Edward went completely against his calm and reserved nature when he wed Caroline by special licence just days after meeting her. But his rash decision had consequences he hadn't anticipated, things may have been dynamite between them in the bedroom but living together proved impossible with Caroline's fiery temperament. After just a year of marriage Edward sent Caroline to live at Jane Street as a form of punishment, they have been living separately for 5 years now and are fast headed for divorc...more
Amanda Ryan
Redonk Nutshell: Husband who has banished his wife to "Courtesan Court" considers divorce despite their intense attraction

I picked up this book (bundle, actually - these three books are currently available as an e-bundle) solely because of the buzz it generated via SmexyBooks, Smart Bitches Trashy Books, etc. I wan't sure what to expect, having never read anything by Maggie Robinson.

Our story is about Edward Christie and Caroline Parker, spouses for several years, though living separately. Edw...more
Stella
I discovered Maggie Robinson's Courtesan Court series by chance when the first book in the series (Mistress by Mistake) was a Kindle freebie on Amazon. As I love historicals and the cover looked great and the blurb sounded unique I jumped right in and read it, and let me tell you, you don't come across nice surprises like that often. I loved Mistress by Mistake to pieces, it is the kind of book that I'll re-read often as a comfort book. I just wanted to tell you this introduction so you can see...more
Carrie Olguin
I adored Robinson's "Mistress by Mistake" when I read is a few years ago. I searched for other titles by her and didn't find any. Disappointing.

Recently, I went back through my favorite book list seeking new titles from those authors and found Robinson had released several more titles. This is the third book in the "Jane Street" series about the women (mistresses) who live there. I remembered Caroline (the heroine) from the first book because her situation was so unusual. She wasn't a mistress,...more
Christine Morehouse
MISTRESS BY MARRIAGE from romance author Maggie Robinson is a sophisticated scrumptious read with intelligent characters and a crack-wit dialogue that had me absorbing every single morsel like a sweet bit of milk chocolate. This decadent read will be released at the end of August by Kensington Brava and is a perfect conclusion to the provocatively engaging Courtesan Court Trilogy.

Regency Boy Scout Baron Edward Christie shocked the ton by marrying the scandalous red hair beauty Caroline Parker. O...more
Dee Bibb
In Mistress by Marriage, Maggie Robinson put the sizzle on the page while allowing the reader to use their imagination. I truly enjoyed the struggle between Baron Edward Christie and his wife of 6 years, Caroline Parker Christie.

Baron Christie has a reputation of being reserved and calm. He takes this reputation to extremes in all situations except with his red-headed wife, Caroline. She stirs irresistible lust in Christie's body that he can't control.

Christie marries Caroline by special licens...more
Jo (My House of Books)
Caroline Parker is a fiery, outspoken redhead, the exact opposite of Edward Christie's first wife, Alice, who is now deceased. In a way, that's why Edward married Caroline only days after meeting her, but that's also the reason they cannot live together. Things would be much simpler if they divorced, though neither can get the other out of their respective minds (and hearts). So when their yearly visit arrives, Caroline is prepared for Edward to announce he's going to finally divorce her. Imagin...more
Nikki Brandyberry
I don’t read a lot of historical romance. The author has to be really engaging for me to enjoy a true historical romance without any paranormal elements. Maggie Robinson gives me exactly what I love. A story that pulls me in, keeps me reading and has some naughty bits to keep me panting.

Mistress By Marriage is different because the hero and heroine are already married. Though Edward believes his quick marriage years earlier was a huge mistake and he had banished his wife to Courtesan Court, a ne...more
Tia
Simply...superb. I thought, after finishing "Mistress By Mistake" I would be hard pressed to find another I liked as much. Well, I was mistaken. In "Mistress By Marriage" the Plot was great. The characters were delightful and the tension between the lovable Christies was "HOT"! I savored every word not wanting this delicious story to end.

I was honored with an ARC of this book and will, on the first day of publication, purchase "Mistress By Marriage" for my Kindle Collection. This is a definite r...more
Writerlibrarian
Two stars is for the interesting beginning. When the book took a turn to the ridiculous (about midday way) it became a high jinks regency romance that seems to only go on with more outrageous plot points and took two mature adults if somewhat a bit stubborn and turn them into annoying children in the body of pushing 30 adults.
Lil' Grogan
Silly, but was interesting set-up of a marriage which didn't work. Read through because I wanted to know how she would resolve it...I guess it's the optimism of a romance reader. Lots of sex but I read it rather mechanically and started skimming. Never got a sense of why they would love each other and why this relationship would work beyond them having great sex. Couple of hilarious descriptions especially the description of the burial plan(view spoiler)...more
Melissa Porter
I love the pull between Edward and Caro. Opposites do attrack....He is so calm and collective and she is outgoing and wild. He wants her to be more calm and orderly and she wants him to explode with his emotions. The tension through the whole book was great. Kept me on my toes and I was having trouble putting the book down. We all make mistakes and these two did at the first but there is always a way to get the second chance. This book proves that one. Love the story. Maggie Robinson did an exce...more
Bibliolatry Me
Mistress by Marriage is a great historical romance with suspense and mystery mixed in. The chemistry between Edward and Caroline is so steamy you can immediately see it. There are the exact opposite of each other, make each other crazy but when together they cannot seem to keep their hands off of each other.

read full review http://www.nocturnereads.com/Mistress...
Good book, but it kind of dragged some times. I felt like they were dragging out the suffering. Story is about two people who love each other but don't feel like they deserve to be loved (on her part) or how to love (on his part), so they make each other miserable. We get it! It turned out happy in the end, but I wasn't a huge fan of the constant temper tantrums.
Sherie
I truly enjoyed this story! I have read the whole series and couldn't wait to read this book. You fall in love with Caroline in book one but you never know what happens to her until this story. Robinson keeps you hanging to the very end to know if this couple will make it or not! I loved how she made this love/hate relationship shine! A Must Read!
Tracey G
kinda rushed through this one, the main characters were making me wanna tear my hair out one strand at at time. but it got better. is this why i stopped reading romances like i used to? silly people who don't know better than to just be happy and in love annoy me now. at least it's always a happy ending.
Kyle Wendy
The only thing that kept me from giving this 5 stars, is the back and forth "I-want-him, I-don't-want-him" was just a BIT too much, over and over. The writing was pretty funny and sarcastic, and I thoroughly enjoyed the books that Caroline was writing. They seemed like real life romances.
Meredith
Another installment in the Jane Street trilogy, this time with a twist: the hero is already married to the heroine. It was interesting to see the couple win each other over the second time around and Robinson gets into some dark history with the heroine's past. A quick read.
Tibisay
Great and funny novel that has tons of great sexy scenes throughout the entire book. I love romance books for the anticipation but the twists and turns and erotic encounters between this couple was wonderful! Truly a satisfying read this author is wonderful.
Milena Benini
Why do I even read this stuff? Oh, yes, Loretta Chase and Courtney Milan. Not this book, though.
Barbara
Liked the story of Edward who never understood why he married Caro. It was love as well as lust. Caro is quite emotional and has always loved him but never told him. Interesting to see how they resolved their issues.
lielabell lielabell
Wow. What to say? This book was one hot mess. It featured a terrible plot mixed with some of the most ridiculously raunchy sex scenes ever. DNW.

I will not be picking anything else up by Maggie Robinson.
LibrayDanielle
I could not enjoy this book at all. None of the characters were even likable, let alone lovable. The heroine was passive aggressive, the hero was a jerk, and i never got a sense that they were in love.
Kelly *that's me*
At first I really liked Caroline, but towards the end she became more and more of a brat that I really wanted to smack. I had such high hopes. Oh well.
Jackie
3.5 If not for the annoyingly violent heroine (overly prone to throwing things when she didn't get her way) I might have rated this higher.
  • Lords of Passion
  • Lessons in Loving A Laird (Highland Knaves, #2)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)
  • Touch of a Thief (Touch of Seduction, #1)
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • My Fair Highlander (English Tudor, #2)
  • Bite Me, Your Grace (Scandals with Bite, #1)
  • When His Kiss Is Wicked (Hamilton Sisters, #1)
  • Star Crossed Seduction (Astrology, #2)
  • Mad About the Earl (Ministry of Marriage, #2)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3) (Windham, #3)
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Historical)
  • Always Mine (The Blackthorn Trilogy #1)
  • A Midnight Dance (Fiery Tales, #3)
  • Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • In the Barrister’s Chambers (Regency Barrister, #1)
  • When a Duke Says I Do
Maggie Robinson is a former teacher, library clerk and mother of four who woke up in the middle of the night, absolutely compelled to create the perfect man and use as many adverbs as possible doing so. A transplanted New Yorker, she lives with her not-quite perfect husband in Maine, where the cold winters are ideal for staying inside and writing hot historical romances.

She also writes erotic his...more
More about Maggie Robinson...
Mistress by Mistake (Courtesan Court, #1) Lord Gray's List (The London List, #1) Mistress by Midnight (Courtesan Court, #2) In the Arms of the Heiress (Ladies Unlaced, #1) Master of Sin (Courtesan Court, #4)