Start by marking “The Heart Is a Little to the Left: Essays on Public Morality” as Want to Read:
The Heart Is a Little to the Left: Essays on Public Morality

The Heart Is a Little to the Left: Essays on Public Morality

William Sloane Coffin offers an antidote to the politics of the religious right with a call to passive intellectuals and dispirited liberals to reenter the fray with a Christian view of social justice.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 1999 by Dartmouth

To ask other readers questions about The Heart Is a Little to the Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart Is a Little to the Left

Bram
Dec 26, 2008 Bram rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
After reading about 3 sentences of William Sloane Coffin, the hairs on my arms stand straight up. And they never go down.
Matthew Chisholm
Aug 10, 2016 Matthew Chisholm rated it it was amazing
My progression of understanding the teachings of Jesus have filled a spectrum perhaps wider than most. Like many, I adhered to the structure and form of the Bible quite literally in my early years, mostly concerned with the affairs of the next life and the rigidity of a set of parameters I though were essential to belief. What has happened over the succeeding years can only be described as a slow tearing of my foundations into the middle ground of love and doctrine that God has been drawing me i ...more
Michael
Jan 06, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
A brief and enjoyable book from an important voice from the later half of the last century. William Sloane Coffin was a minister at Yale during the Viet Nam War (where he was immortalized in the comic strip Doonsebury as Rev. Sloan), and as the pastor in New York's storied Riverside Church. Rev. Coffin was a religious liberal, or a Left wing Protestant, or a Progressive Christian, or something like that. He was a remarkably intelligent man, or so it seems to me. Erudite, thoughtful, and willing ...more
Amos Smith
Sep 22, 2015 Amos Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books-other
Coffin is a master of the one liners and zinger turns of phrase. His brilliant assessment of the Four Moral Stages of the Bible has always stuck with me. His commentaries on the Vietnam War have also stuck with me. Coffin was inclusive and edgy--a rare combination. One time when he was giving an inclusive message based on the Gospels, a couple of people started heckling him... He stopped his message, pointed directly at them, and said sternly, "I'm trying to be inclusive here. Do you have a prob ...more
Jan 16, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this collection of essays. I first found out about this author during a random scan of bookshelves in our public library. You don't have to agree with everything he says to admire his wit and way with words. His thoughts on "the warhorse" are very interesting to read as they were written 10 years ago, pre-9/11, pre-Iraq and Afghanistan, but they are so applicable. Each essay can be read in about 10 minutes. A great collection of quick reads that make you think!
Jimmy
Jul 30, 2015 Jimmy rated it liked it
Very simple, but meaningful defense of left liberalism as more consistent with Christian principles and values. I have to say that there was very little in there that I hadn't already thought for myself, but it was nice to read another spiritual leader defending left liberalism and critiquing right reactionary thinking.
Claire
Dec 22, 2008 Claire rated it it was amazing
Must read!!! I started underlining things I thought were particularly profound and ended up with a book full of pen markings. Coffin was not afraid to speak the truth to power and to do so in a way that is stirring, beautiful, and witty. He had a great gift, and I miss him.
Adam Kronk
Jan 07, 2010 Adam Kronk rated it really liked it
Don't know how I hadn't heard of this guy before. The first chapter alone blew my mind and I had to go get a pen and re-read it, underlining as I went.
Rick Edwards
Jul 24, 2011 Rick Edwards rated it liked it
A bit dated, but well worth reading: Coffin serves up some fine, pithy phrases, and his perspective is always illuminating.
Luke
Luke rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2010
Summer
Oct 22, 2008 Summer rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. One of my favorite books ever.
Roger Sheldon
Roger Sheldon rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Glen Gersmehl
Glen Gersmehl rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2011
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
May 02, 2009
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
May 31, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Namdad
Namdad rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Jody
Jody rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2011
Lincoln Smith
Lincoln Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2015
Joanne Pellegrino
Joanne Pellegrino rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Jack Coates
Jack Coates rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Brandy
Brandy rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Mome Rath
Mome Rath rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2013