Start by marking “The Heart Is a Little to the Left: Essays on Public Morality” as Want to Read:
The Heart Is a Little to the Left: Essays on Public Morality

The Heart Is a Little to the Left: Essays on Public Morality

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  8 reviews
William Sloane Coffin offers an antidote to the politics of the religious right with a call to passive intellectuals and dispirited liberals to reenter the fray with a Christian view of social justice.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 1999 by Dartmouth

To ask other readers questions about The Heart Is a Little to the Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart Is a Little to the Left

Bram
Jan 29, 2009 Bram rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
After reading about 3 sentences of William Sloane Coffin, the hairs on my arms stand straight up. And they never go down.
Really enjoyed this collection of essays. I first found out about this author during a random scan of bookshelves in our public library. You don't have to agree with everything he says to admire his wit and way with words. His thoughts on "the warhorse" are very interesting to read as they were written 10 years ago, pre-9/11, pre-Iraq and Afghanistan, but they are so applicable. Each essay can be read in about 10 minutes. A great collection of quick reads that make you think!
Claire
Must read!!! I started underlining things I thought were particularly profound and ended up with a book full of pen markings. Coffin was not afraid to speak the truth to power and to do so in a way that is stirring, beautiful, and witty. He had a great gift, and I miss him.
Adam Kronk
Don't know how I hadn't heard of this guy before. The first chapter alone blew my mind and I had to go get a pen and re-read it, underlining as I went.
Rick Edwards
A bit dated, but well worth reading: Coffin serves up some fine, pithy phrases, and his perspective is always illuminating.
Edward Sullivan
Published in 1999 but they remain wise, prophetic words.
Summer
Fantastic. One of my favorite books ever.
Chad
The wisdom of our age in two hours.
Vicky Vidal
Vicky Vidal marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Wendy Bousfield
Wendy Bousfield marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Hannah
Hannah is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Weichen
Weichen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
William J
William J marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Credo Letters to a Young Doubter A Passion for the Possible: A Message to U.S. Churches The Collected Sermons of William Sloane Coffin, Volumes One and Two: The Riverside Years The Collected Sermons of William Sloane Coffin: Volume One: The Riverside Years