Home: What It Means and Why It Matters

Home: What It Means and Why It Matters

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Where do you live? The answer to this seemingly simple question can be more complicated than you'd think.
Drawing on personal experience, Mary Gordon examines various forms of abode-from her childhood house in Far Rockaway to apartments in Palo Alto, Rome, and the Upper West Side-as well as the very concept of “home” and how it has evolved over time. Rich in insightful obse...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

Francine
This is a tiny little book, 3 chapters and fewer than 100 pages.

I enjoyed it because it is well written and researched as well (with Endnotes). The book reminds me of an assignment given by a former colleague...she wanted international students to convey the idea of home in a classroom paper. We scoured college catalogs for a few books back then...this one would have been wonderful, alas the assignment was long before this 2010 publication.

Also like it because the author conveys the importance o...more
Roberto
I actually picked this up in an airport when I was feeling a little homesick and missed my cat. Home is a pretty big deal for me because the real world is awful and frightening, so i thought this would be kind of the book equivalent of the theme tune from Cheers. It is a meditative, personal look at the meaning and evolution of the home, all quite pleasant and sometimes really interesting if a little sexless and pretentious and overly reliant on tasteful quotes. Though obviously I am beyond over...more
Kelly Griffin
I have been thinking a lot about home lately; what it is and why it matters. If you're wondering about those things too, don't read this book. It won't help.

I found it rambling (although I'm sure someone somewhere has described it as a 'meditation'), and ultimately unsatisfying.
Sian Lile-Pastore
This is an interesting (though quite slight) look at what home means to you. It's mainly the author's ideas of what home means to her, but she also nicely links her ideas to those of Bachelard and Auden, and there are lots of nice quotes.

We picked this up at an airport on our way home, and it does make you feel pretty cosy.
Danny
OK, so it was a little dense and boring and I didn't read ALL of it event though it was under 100 pages. But there were some interesting parts about privacy and the evolution of our concept of home.

And so there you go.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Paul Brinegar
Paul Brinegar marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Emily Lucas
Emily Lucas marked it as to-read
Angela Chops
Angela Chops marked it as to-read
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Narumon
Narumon marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Alex Bischoff
Alex Bischoff marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Minh Minh
Minh Minh marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Ritu Khabia
Ritu Khabia marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mary Gordon was born in Far Rockaway, New York, to Anna Gagliano Gordon, an Italian-Irish Catholic mother, and David Gordon, a Jewish father who converted to Catholicism. While growing up, she attended Holy Name of Mary School in Valley Stream and for high school attended The Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica, N.Y.. She is Catholic.

She received her A.B. from Barnard College in 1971, and her M.A. from...more
More about Mary Gordon...
Spending The Love of My Youth Final Payments Pearl Joan of Arc