Birth of the Kingdom

Birth of the Kingdom (The Crusades Trilogy #3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,924 ratings  ·  59 reviews
An exiled warrior determined to unite his homeland returns to face his greatest battle yet in this stirring final volume in the trilogy that began with The Road to Jerusalem—a critically acclaimed epic "destined to become a classic" (Sharon Kay Penman).

Exiled from his home and the woman he loves, Arn de Gotha became one of the fiercest and most feared warriors of the Knigh...more
Unknown Binding, 496 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Harper (first published 2000)

Andy
Short review

Meh....!

Long review

Its not that it's bad, far from it, jus needed a bit more Bosh & (some) blood..... cant recollect a book from the age of Feudalism where so many got to 3 score & ten & popped off peacefully in their sleep leaving Valhalla (& more importantly me) rightly pissed off!

Definitely one of those candidates where the filim is better than the books.

James
Arn and Cecilia are finally reunited, and Arn begins plans to ensure peace in his homeland for years to come. Not everyone necessarily agrees with his plans, however, and obstacles threaten to reignite war in the North.

This was a great conclusion to the story of Arn, and a great introduction to the birth of Sweden. Some of the highlights: the reunion of Arn and Cecilia is just as awkward as it should be. He was a Templar for 20 years, she spent those same 20 years in a convent. Of course that re...more
Brian
The final book of the trilogy was not as good as the second but still very, very good.

My overall rating on the trilogy is a solid 4; the first was good, the second was excellent and the third very good. As I mentioned in the review of the first, I saw the movie (condensed version of the Swedish mini-series) and really enjoyed it; now I am glad that I saw it before I read the series, because it would have been a big disappointment. I hope that they release the mini-series sometime in the future,...more
Ylva
Så mycket jag njutit av att läsa serien om Arn måste jag ändå säga att jag tycker bättre om de två första böckerna. Den här hade potential i början. Jag gillade beskrivningen av hur folkkungaborgen byggdes upp. Genom hela boken saknade jag ändå en extra gnista. Berättandet kändes lite lamt och speciellt på slutet var det som att man bara ville att allt skulle ta slut. Vi beskriver de nödvändigaste händelserna och så är det slut. Det kändes som att självaste Arn tappat orken och gjorde allt på ru...more
Lia
It is four stars for now. I am contemplating five stars.
Stephen Plank
By far and away the best trilogy that I have ever read. Having seen ARN, a movie that spun all three books into one movie - a gem, I had to read the books. The movie was the most expensive adventure that Sweden had ever put into a movie according to Wikipedia and it was worth it with one exception - this book was cut short in so may ways. To know that his life and love were not just a few months or years as portrayed in the movie made me so happy to read more about how he and his wife modernize...more
Kasia Hubbard
*I won this on Goodreads* This is book three of the Crusaders Trilogy, yet it stands alone quite well. I found this story to be simply amazing, even though I haven't read the first two (which I will now). Arn de Gotha is a warrior of the Knights Templar who returns home from the Holy Land after being gone for twenty years. He was serving penance for sleeping with the love of his life before they were married, and was sent away, but not before swearing to Celia that if he returned, he would marry...more
Kitty Bullard
"BIRTH OF THE KINGDOM" BY JAN GUILLOU

This historic tale highlights the last few years of the life of a Templar Knight named Arn Magnusson. After completing his service to God he returns to his beloved homeland to begin life anew and bring peace to all. Bringing with him craftsmen and doctors from the Holy City of Jerusalem he takes us on his journey to find his beloved Cecilia, learning about a son he has never met, and creating a new society of both Christians and Muslims.

This book is the last...more
Elizabeth
What a really intriguing series, bringing new life to a portion of the world that is often overlooked when discussing historical record or the influence of Christianity. Arn was such a wonderful, relatable, and inspiring character, and his Cecilia was written exceptionally well. I really enjoyed this series, and look forward now to watching the movie.
Janne Paananen
Pohjoinen valtakunta lopettaa Temppeliherra-trilogian tyylillä. Vuosisata ehtii vaihtua jo 1200-luvun alkupuolelle ja viimein Arn ja Cecilia saavat toisensa. Mutta vielä on paljon peljastettavaa, nimittäin Ruotsi, jota uhkaavat niin vääräsukuiset kuninkaat kuin kieroilevat piispatkin. Arn kasvattaa tässä sukunsa voimaa ja opettaa Temppeliritarin oppeja nuoremmilleen. Guillou kirjoittaa ihailtavan sujuvaa tekstiä. Tarinan kuljettaminen on aivan yhtä soljuvasti eteenpäin kulkevaa. Koko trilogia on...more
Tammy Ramey
although i don't usually read this type of book i was grabbed and pulled into the story from the first page. i found myself intrigued and fasinated by the historical facts in the story and the characters were a joy to get to know and watch them grow into their own. i also found myself rooting for the hero and heroine and booing the villian and then on the next page laughing out loud at something else. it was a truley wonderful book.

if this is the type of book that you enjoy you shouldn't miss th...more
Erin
I graciously won this book through first reads giveaway.

This is the third book in a trilogy series and unfortunately I did not read the first two, so only take my review at face value.

I found this book to be a good read. I never felt very behind even though I did not read the other two books, the author explains what you need to know that you may have missed. There were parts of the book that I found boring, but other parts that were very engaging. The end didn't turn out exactly the way I had...more
Nicolas Briozzo
Un buen final para una excelente trilogia.
Kathy
OK, this was just OK for me, but I'm sure part of the reason it didn't seem better is that I read Books 1 & 2 of the trilogy a couple years ago. It took that long for this last one to get translated; I had forgotten some of the plot points and the characters were still a bit confusing (Danish/Swedish names are soooo hard to keep straight!) Anyway, this book on it's own was a little boring, with not very much action and a lot of description of fortifying castles/estates for pending invasions....more
Jan
This was a Goodreads win. Thank you.

Lovely book, understand there are two more before this. Story of a Templar Knight returning to his homeland. Arn de Gotha returns to claim his bride, who was sent to a monastery, because she bore him a son out of wedlock, he was sent off to war in the Holy Lands. He returns 20 years later with gold,craftsman and doctors who have many talents. With these men and wisdom, he plans to build a new stronger country.

Many adventures, several wars, love, life and death...more
Diane
In this last book of the trilogy, the hero and heroine are reunited, and they must fight to keep the kingdom that is the hero's birthright away from his enemies. The book is well-written, but not as good as the other two books in the trilogy. I kept feeling like the story had come to a natural end, but the book continued on. I'm not sure there was really enough material here for a whole book; it might have been better as an addendum to the earlier work.
Bernie Charbonneau
Nov 09, 2010 Bernie Charbonneau rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Historical Fiction Reader
Just like the two previous novels of this trilogy, I was completely absorbed in this the final saga of Arn de Gothia, our Folkung clan Templar Knight. This novel takes us to Arn's homeland after the Battle of Jerusalem. This is one of the most interesting characters and events that held me captivated for the three books. If you are a fictional history reader, then this is a must.
Ty Partridge
This finished the Crusader trilogy. This one was not as good as the first two, but wrapped things up with the formation of Sweden as a country. It was interesting from the standpoint that it describes well the transition of the culture and gives lots of detail about daily life in East and West Gotland. Sometimes it gets a bit bogged down, but not a bad read.
Jan Cerny
Vynikající závěr trilogie, jenom jména některá jména příliš nesedí s historicky doloženými letopočty (autor se snažil věrohodně spojit fikci). V každém případě je kniha o několik tříd výše než film, kde byla spousta osob vynechána a spousta událostí zmateně sloučena dohromady. Celou trilogii mohu s klidným svědomím doporučit.
Tammy Cox
Wrapped up the series through the death of Arn. The Realm power struggles and battles were well written. A definate read if you've read the first two. I wont tell you how Arn died and I'm not going to give any other spoilers. This was an extremely enjoyable and well written trilogy with incredible historical detail.
Hristina Ivanova
I am absolutely astonished! This is one of the best historical novels I have ever read. Along with the first two, this trilogy is absolutely wonderful!
These were the first books by Guillou I've read and I must say I'm impressed. A definite must-read for anyone inclined to history and historical novels.
Paul
I have read the complete trilogy translated to the English from Swedish (good translation). The entire body of the trilogy is very detailed which added to the enjoyment of the read. I am thankful to a Norwegian friend who recommended these works of historical fiction.
Angel Serrano
1192. Después de 20 años como caballero templario, Arn vuelve a Götaland con grandes proyectos y una enorme fortuna para realizarlos. En primer lugar sueña con reencontrarse con su amada Cecilia para formar una familia, y después buscará la paz entre los distintos linajes.
Cathy
I won this book on a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway. I found this book very hard to get into. Too many characters with similar names. It was very confusing. I actually didn't finish the book because it was confusing and somewhat boring. Not my cup of tea.
Luis
Good read as all the others, thoug some points felt a bit like repetition of the fist book, just different characters.

The biggest negative is that large parts feel as though they have been cut out and summarised to reduce the page count....a bit of a shame.
Mayte Sánchez
Tras acabar de leer el segundo libro de esta trilogía, estoy completamente de acuerdo con el lector: son vividas y emocionantes, trasladándote con un estilo sencillo a tiempos pasados, donde prima el honor .... o no.
Cheryl
Jul 03, 2011 Cheryl marked it as to-read
I am a lucky winner of Jan Guillou's BIRTH OF THE KINGDOM thanks to Danielle and Goodreads. Thank you for the opportunity to learn and be entertained in this third book of Guillou's historical fiction.
Sandy
The American title is Birth of the Kingdom. I read this trilogy and liked it. It was written by a Swedish writer and the style is a little wordy, but I enjoyed the books. It's about the birth of Sweden.
Stuart
Great final book of the series. See the building of a nation that will last until present day, with historical battles. Works as a stand-alone book, but much better after reading the first two. Great book.
  • Siege Of Heaven
  • Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants, #2)
  • White Jacket or, the World on a Man-of-War
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Killer of Men (Long War, #1)
  • Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2)
  • Attila: The Gathering Of The Storm (Attila Trilogy #2)
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • Livet deluxe
  • Kärleken (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #1)
  • Everyday Stalinism: Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930s
  • The Field of Swords (Emperor, #3)
  • Freja: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #1)
Jan Oscar Sverre Lucien Henri Guillou (born 17 January 1944) is a Swedish author and journalist. Among his books are a series of spy fiction novels about a spy named Carl Hamilton, and a trilogy of historical fiction novels about a Knight Templar, Arn Magnusson. He is the owner of one of the largest publishing companies in Sweden, Piratförlaget, together with Liza Marklund and his common-law wife,...more
More about Jan Guillou...
The Road to Jerusalem (The Knight Templar, #1) Ondskan The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2) Arvet efter Arn (The Crusades Trilogy, #4) Brobyggarna