Start by marking “The Aviators (Brotherhood Of War, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Aviators (Brotherhood Of War, #8)

The Aviators (Brotherhood of War #8)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,222 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
It is 1964. The Vietnam War has begun to escalate, its new style of battle demanding new weapons and tactics, and men who can use them. Overnight, it seems, the United States Army must scramble to create its first-ever Air Assault Division, a force critical to its chances of success. The obstacles are staggering--untrained men, technical mishaps, interservice rivalries. Bu ...more
Published May 1st 1989 by Jove Books (first published August 15th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Aviators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aviators

Nikki
Jul 23, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I am currently living at Fort Rucker with my husband while he goes through flight school. I volunteer at the US Army Aviation Museum on base. I've learned a lot about the history of army aviation and got a kick out of reading a fictionalized version of it.
Adam
Dec 23, 2015 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Aviators” –was the first book I read in the “Brotherhood or War” series , and then I realized that it was the 8th book of the series. I then read 1-7 books and reached out for “The Aviators” again. I still have to say that Griffin should of stopped the series after “The Generals”. For me it is much less interesting, reading these books backwards. What made it worse is that “The Aviators” is happening before the “The New Breed. This book has some of the original characters with Bellmon , Lowe ...more
Terry Thomas
Aug 11, 2012 Terry Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you start the series, you can't stop till you've read them all. Great.
Bob Conner
Mar 24, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first fell in love with Griffin's series beginning with the Corps Series. Then along came Brotherhood of War.

Like The Corps, his characters are engaging and richly colorful. But, the Brotherhood of War, while still very dynamic, seems to focus a little less on the world of war and fighting and more on the culture of the US Army, especially the officer's corps. Reading this series, I was intrigued by the almost country-club like atmosphere Griffin sees in play among the US Army officers and th
Richard Palmer
Aug 02, 2012 Richard Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I not like a WEB Griffin Brotherhood of War novel?

This is a little different from the rest.
It is the first time in which two novels overlap in content
and timespan. Together with 'The New Breed', this book presents
the story of a rebel takeover in the Republic of the Congo.
Most of the original characters are there: Felter, Lowell,
and Belmon. Belmon is the most involved here. Lowell makes
cameo appearances. He has a very memorable scene in which he
makes use of his considerable financial in
Ken Dodd
The entire Brotherhood of War series is excellent. Once I read The Lieutenants I couldn't stop until I reached the end of the series. The 9 book series follows a group of characters through their careers in the military from WWII to the Vietnam era.
HUGH J BLAKE
Dec 17, 2014 HUGH J BLAKE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Griffin's best

Could not put the book down, basic aviation in the beginning, true to life just like the rest of his books
Brandon
Started 9/29/2013
Didn't post finish date guessing...
Don Weymouth
Oct 19, 2015 Don Weymouth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-on and prepping the next generation.
David
Feb 08, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, fiction
The Aviators (Brotherhood of War #8) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1988) (Fiction - Military). Back to Vietnam in 1964 - the Army needs an Air Assault Division, and it needs it right now! The brass undertakes to create one against huge logistical and technical obstacles. My rating: 7/10, finished 1988.
Russianwitch
I went through this series in my 'all things military' phase which lasted quit a while. I think most of the politics which would make the books interesting to me now got missed by my 15 year old self reading them. But I do remember enjoying them regardless but not enough to reread them.
Barbara
Apr 12, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this one before the rest of the series. A retired military guy recommended the author, and I was "sampling". I ended up staying with him through this series, but haven't gone back to start another... think I kind of burned myself out by reading them all back to back.
Rick Matson
It's great when life and fiction intersect. I service 48 months at Fort Rucker, knew the buildings, the roads, seemingly the characters. Griffin is on an upswing in this book.
George
Nov 18, 2013 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
#8 of 9, The Aviators is about development of Army aviation. There's also some ops from 1964...hmmmm. On to #7--intertwined with #8.
Susan Wood
Nov 12, 2014 Susan Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading about the early aviators. My grandfather was one of them.
Mike
May 23, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read better by WEB, a decent story, but no real drama as in is later books
John Peterson
Jun 19, 2008 John Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series if you like this kind of stuff.
Meakin
Sep 07, 2013 Meakin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w-e-b-griffin
The last of the series but were all good reading.
J.W. Thompson
Dec 30, 2009 J.W. Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic series---read it years ago
David Harrell
Feb 26, 2010 David Harrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another great WEB Griffin read
Robin Halvorson
A reread. Good story.
Ariel
May 29, 2009 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
More vintage Griffin.
Mark Burnham
Oct 07, 2013 Mark Burnham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading again
Bill
Mar 19, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!
Danielle Zanni
Danielle Zanni rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Frank Pace
Frank Pace rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Dan Craig
Dan Craig rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
Bettina Hall
Bettina Hall rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
  • Dead Hand
  • Cross of Iron
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)
  • Charlie Mike
  • Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho, #12)
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Piece of Cake
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Brotherhood of War (9 books)
  • The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1)
  • The Captains (Brotherhood of War, #2)
  • The Majors (Brotherhood of War, #3)
  • The Colonels (Brotherhood of War, #4)
  • The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)
  • The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)
  • The New Breed (Brotherhood of War, #7)
  • Special Ops (Brotherhood of War, #9)

“senior officer presumed to be a better judge of” 0 likes