Start by marking “The French Executioner (French Executioner, #1)” as Want to Read:
The French Executioner (French Executioner, #1)

The French Executioner (French Executioner #1)

It is 1536 and the expert swordsman Jean Rombaud has been brought over from France by Henry VIII to behead his wife, Anne Boleyn. But on the eve of her execution Rombaud swears a vow to the ill-fated queen: to bury her six-fingered hand, symbol of her rumoured witchery, at a sacred crossroads.

Yet in a Europe ravaged by religious war, the hand of this infamous Protestant i
Published 2001 by McArthur & Company

To ask other readers questions about The French Executioner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Executioner

Erin
Nov 03, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

If you're anything like me, you're looking at the cover of C.C. Humphreys' The French Executioner and stifling a groan. Titles like Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies, To Die For, The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn, The Lady in the Tower, The Dark Rose, Dark Eyed Queen, The Concubine, The King's Secret Matter, Murder Most Royal, and The Other Boleyn Girl are flashing through your mind and you're seriously questioning if you've the
Dawn (& Ron)
May 23, 2012 Dawn (& Ron) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dawn (& Ron) by: C.W.
Both Ron and I read this, he in October 2009 giving it 3-1/2 stars, and I read it in December 2008 giving it 2008. I originally purchased this as an historical fiction read about Anne Boleyn and was surprised to find that that really wasn't the case. Yes, she is featured, or more appropriately a body part is. This is integral to the story but as the reason for the quest and adventure of the main character, Boleyn's executioner Jean Rombaud, and his cohorts. Instead of being disappointed by this, ...more
Patty
Oct 14, 2014 Patty rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the synopsis of this book and I will admit that I have enjoyed several other books by the author. I will admit that I found it a bit removed from most Tudor fiction and in some ways that was good and in others it was not. I do know that it is probably the book with the words "six fingered hand" mentioned most often and it would provide great drinking game opportunities - yes, the phrase appears that frequently. It was starting to distract me from the plot.

All six fingers aside
Melanie
Jul 28, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing
As a fan of this authors writing voice, I was very happy to see that this series is now being offered in eCopy. Even after reading the synopsis, I was pleasantly surprised by the plot, and especially by the characters. This is not your average historical fiction and that, at least for me, was very good.

I’ve read so many Tudor historical fictions that sometimes I think I’m way too familiar with the subject. Well, color me happy with this story!

As much as I find Anne Boleyn’s character intriguing
Deb
Wasn't sure I would enjoy this book. I have to say I was thoroughly pleased with the story line and the depth of the characters. What an interesting look at the world of an executioner. I have often wondered what type of person could behead someone just for pay. Jean, Anne Boleyn's executioner, is a very likeable man. Every character is coming from a totally different background, to help Jean keep his promise to Queen Anne, to bury her six-fingered hand at the crossroads in France. The action is ...more
Sue
Mar 27, 2016 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshingly . . . MUCH better than I expected. I suggest skipping to the very back and reading the "Author's Notes" section. There are some definitions there that greatly enhance the text. I'm glad I happened upon that because it would have been boring to rehash the text just to incorporate those pieces of trivia.

Too bad the second half is not available yet. Reminds me of Kill Bill, and like Kill Bill, these two would make an excellent movie.
Debs
Apr 19, 2008 Debs rated it really liked it
Recommended to Debs by: Nella
I found this book a bit difficult to get into at first but it grew into quite a page turner and in the end I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. It's a fast paced action-adventure with a lot of twists and turns, and despite occasional difficulties in trying to keep track of all of its intricacies, it kept me wildly entertained. The characters are fun and likable and make me want to go out and grab a sword and/or a pirate hat!
Mark Smith
Jun 23, 2015 Mark Smith rated it it was amazing
Full of action and plot twists--an excellent adventure. Though not a teen protagonist, there is a teen character who joins forces with the adult protagonist, and there is no sex/language/intensely "mature themes" that would give a parent pause about this book. Just good old fashioned danger and mayhem.
Stefan
Jun 14, 2015 Stefan rated it it was amazing
The French Executioner was a fascinating epic set in Medieval Europe. I was swept into the plot from the first page. The remarkable cast of characters, vivid settings, the exciting naval and land battles, and plot twists propelled the story along. The historical, social, cultural, political, and religious themes made this work even more delightful.
Sarah Miers
Nov 11, 2015 Sarah Miers rated it really liked it
I did not really expect to like this book so much -- it's a swashbuckler with a swirl of the supernatural, focused on a severed six-fingered hand. I loved it, though. The characters are amazing -- the plot is really fascinating -- and it's also quite funny. A great, fun, read.
nikkia authement
Oct 04, 2014 nikkia authement rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wow! This is an adventure book. Its all action all the time! Very exciting and fun!
Marlene
Nov 20, 2014 Marlene rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

If this were a contemporary novel, it would probably fall under the heading of “magical realism” but it isn’t so it doesn’t. Instead, it’s a historical novel in which magic happens, but it’s the kind of magic that is the result of the power of human belief; and in the mid-1500s, people did believe in magic and miracles.

Also in demons and black masses, but every silver lining has its cloud.

This is also not a book about Anne Boleyn, although her spirit certai
Katherine
Jan 14, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Anne Boleyn has an audience with her executioner the night before she is to lose her head. She requests that he also remove her hand, the infamous six-fingered hand, take it to a crossroads in the Loire Valley and bury it there. She wishes to keep it out of the hands of those who would use it for their own ends after her death. This is a historical novel--Anne Boleyn did exist, the second wife of Henry the VIIIth, history says she did have six fingers on one hand, the sign of a witch. A ...more
Christine
Oct 01, 2016 Christine rated it liked it
3 3/4 stars. More later..,
Rachel T
As reviewed for The Reading Cafe 20 Oct 14

4 out of 5 for this reader folks!

WELL .... that was quite different from what I expected and what I have ever read before. When I read the synopsis I figured out that this was not going to be a traditional "Tudor" historical fiction, but I still wasn't expecting such a far fetched, rich, magical adventure that I discovered. This isn't a negative remark in any sense as many love the art of fantasy fiction and it is brilliant to take such a well known chun
Carolina
Oct 07, 2014 Carolina rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Originally published at: A Girl that Likes Books

I asked and received this book through NetGalley for free. This review is not sponsored nor influenced in anyway. Thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark for the book.

First impression

I am a sucker for historical fiction, particularly for the Tudors. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy reading about that particular time. I requested this book knowing that Anne Boleyn wouldn't be the main character but rather Jean Rombaud, her executioner. I was utter
Sandie
Mar 26, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Jean Rombaud is renowned for his skill as an executioner. His services are called in when the person to be executed is shown some mercy, for his stroke is sure and strong and there is no suffering as in the many botched executions. He is called to England to serve as the executioner for the English queen, Anne Boleyn.

Jean goes to visit Anne the night before the execution to reassure her. He finds her stoic and ready for her death, but she has one request. She asks that he take her hand with its
Marko
Jul 06, 2012 Marko rated it liked it
I picked this novel up based on the description on its back cover that I found intriguing. I also picked it up thinking that it was historical fiction. The latter expectation led me to slight dissappointment when the story turned out to be more fantastical than historical, but, nevertheless, I did find myself enjoying the beginning part of the novel.

Unfortunately, after a nice beginning, the story seemed to lose its focus and it seemed stretched thinner than it should have - delaying the final c
Mirella
Nov 17, 2014 Mirella rated it it was amazing
Although this novel is set during the Tudor era, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the main focus of the story was the Jean Rombaud. The story centers around Anne Boleyn’s 6th finger, which the executioner cut off at her request at the moment of beheading, and in which she wanted him to bury it in a secret place in France within a set period. But the finger is stolen by an Archbishop who witnessed the execution for his own greedy purposes. Honor bound to his promise to the dead queen, ...more
Scott Haraburda
Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Book.

------------------------------------

The French Executioner is an English historical fiction about the adventures of the Frenchman who executed Anne Boleyn, one of the wives of Henry VIII, as he tries to keep he promise he made her shortly before executing the former queen.

The story was filled with many interesting characters, both good and bad ones. The descriptions of the scenery and the people were well-written. However, I had a difficult time believing tha
Zee Monodee
Oct 19, 2014 Zee Monodee rated it liked it
This was an epic, riotous romp through 16th century France. CC Humphreys writes with a very evocative style and prose that puts you right into the scene. Even though the POV is not very deep - the words actually skim the surface of the characters and focus more on their actions - this in no way affects the read and simply just 'works' and flows with the way Mr. Humphreys puts the words on the page.

I did slug through the opening scene - it was hard to grasp who's who and even to remember who is w
Reeca Elliott
Sep 30, 2014 Reeca Elliott rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-app
I have read many novels about Anne Bolelyn and this time period. I have never read one from the executioners point of view. Jean Rombaud, Anne Bolelyn's executioner, is a fascinating character with a fantastic history.

This winding tale sends you through so many experiences....to dungeons and galley ships, to ambushes, sea battles and torture. It was a little heavy on the battle scenes. I tend to read quickly through those parts. I just want to see who wins and not how the battle was won.

The da
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
Nov 04, 2014 Andi Newberry ~Tubbs rated it did not like it
I am a huge Tudor fan and I was thrilled to be asked to read and review this book. It started out really interesting, not your typical Anne Boleyn book. This book is about the swordsman who killed Anne not really about her, and the desire for her hand because it is believed to have six fingers on it.
For me, this book has to be one of the worst books I've read, and I have read a lot of books. The ridiculous sexual references were not needed in my opinion, an entire chapter devoted to "Orgies" wit
Bill
Definitely an entertaining, action-packed adventure. Set during the reign of Henry VIII, it follows Jean Rombaud, a French executioner brought to England to execute Anne Boleyn. Jean is asked by Anne to also cut off her hand, her six-fingered hand and bury it at a crossroads somewhere in France. And so his adventure begins. The hand has mystical powers and is stolen by a mad Catholic Archbishop. Jean gathers a group of friends as he journeys across Europe to retrieve the hand, getting involved ...more
Paula Dembeck
Feb 07, 2014 Paula Dembeck rated it liked it
A rollicking, fast paced sometimes violent adventure story along the lines of The Three Musketeers.

It begins in 1536 at the Tower of London where an expert swordsman has been brought from France by Henry V111 to ensure his wife Anne has an expert beheading and thus an easier death. But on the eve of the event the executioner meets Boleyn and swears a vow to her that he will bury her six fingered hand (a symbol of her rumoured witchery)at a sacred crossroads back in France. On his way to fulfil h
Alex
Aug 16, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
This book took me forever to finish.

I raced through the first one hundred pages and loved them, I was so caught up in the story. I loved the portrayal of Anne Boleyn and the executioner who takes on the dangerous task of cutting off her six-fingered hand and burying it.

But after that, I just got really bored. I read thirty or so pages here and there, but the story was really lagging. It picked back up around page 300 and I enjoyed the ending, but there were just way too many boring parts.
Vanessa
Aug 15, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book. Basically, Anne Boleyn sends her executioner on a quest. He must bury her 6 fingered hand at a crossroads in the Loire valley. An Italian archbishop has other plans for the hand. Jean collects a motley crew of friends in his quest, which takes him all over Europe. Of course, Anne is also there to help when the adventurers need it most. There is a lot of action and it is hard to put down. This is a great example of historical fiction.
Kirsten
Jun 26, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-historical
This tale is in a classic style - one where the group gains more lonelyhearts on their quest. Jean Rombaud, Anne Boleyn's swordsman, has one duty to perform for his queen. He secretly chops off her six-fingered hand at her request, to be buried in France. Others see that hand as a magical cure to solve alchemical mysteries. Along the way, other mercenaries of a sort join Jean's journey throughout Europe to achieve their own goals.
Sandra Guerfi
Dec 07, 2014 Sandra Guerfi rated it liked it
This was an entertaining tale with the strangest of bedfellows and it all starts with Anne Boleyn's executioner and a promise she extracts from him. There is so much action in this novel that I'm just going to tell you to go grab a copy and settle in for a worthwhile read. Looking forward to the next title by this author. Enjoy.
Bri
Mar 29, 2015 Bri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the style in which this book is written. The epic story line had all elements of a great adventure, romance, and many unlikely friendships. This book takes place in the 1500's and the author does an a amazing job of reminding the reader with brutality and traditions that were common to the era. A must read!
  • Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • The Abolitionist's Secret (Cotillion Ball #2)
  • Her Wicked Proposal (The League of Rogues, #3)
  • Dear Heart, How Like You This?
  • One Night with the Laird (Scottish Brides, #2)
  • Once Upon a Highland Christmas (Scandalous Scots, #0.5)
  • The Marriage Wager
  • Anne Boleyn
  • Border Bride (Border Trilogy I, #1)
  • The King's Secret Matter (Tudor Saga, #4)
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Feather Light
  • A Midsummer Bride (Marriage Mart, #2)
  • The Early Loves of Anne Boleyn
  • The Anne Boleyn Collection: The Real Truth about the Tudors
  • The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII
  • The Arrangement
aka Chris Humphreys

C.C. Humphreys was born in Toronto, Canada, and grew up in Los Angeles and London. A third generation actor and writer on both sides of his family, he returned to Canada in the nineties and there his writing career began. He won the inaugural playwriting competition of the New Play Centre, Vancouver with his first play, 'A Cage Without Bars' which was produced in Vancouver and L
More about C.C. Humphreys...

French Executioner (2 books)
  • The Curse of Anne Boleyn (French Executioner #2)