The Pie and Pastry Bible

The Pie and Pastry Bible

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  2,369 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The Pie and Pastry Bible is your magic wand for baking the pies, tarts, and pastries of your dreams -- the definitive work by the country's top baker.

More than 300 recipes, 200 drawings of techniques and equipment, and 70 color pictures of finished pies, tarts, and pastries

Easy-to-follow recipes for fruit pies, chiffon pies, custard pies, ice-cream pies, meringue pies, cho...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Scribner (first published November 11th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Pie and Pastry Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pie and Pastry Bible

Janie
Sometimes Rose is a little too thorough with her recipes. While pastry is certainly involves science, there is an element of instinct that comes from practice. Touch and sight are immeasurably important when working with pastry. But Rose leaves little room for that. She is obsessively precise, especially when it comes to pie crust. While her recipes work, you don't have to go through all the steps of freezing and refreezing butter. Rose, have a cocktail and relax a little. The butter will be fin...more
erik
This book opens with a 70 page chapter on pie crusts in which each recipe is layed out neatly in a table with weights and measures for 3 or 4 different sizes of crust. Each has instructions for preparation by hand or by food processor. Rose Levy Beranbaum is the most maniacally exacting and detail-oriented cookbook author I've ever read. I wouldn't want to live with her, but I sure do love this book.

The fresh blueberry pie may change your life.
Amber
Great for the classics and more refined dessert -I don't love the way the book has different components on different pages/sections but given it more thought it does make sense since the different components can be used for many different desserts.

This isn't the book I run to if I want something quick and easy but it is if I want something rich, decadent and something I am proud to have baked!
Donna
Best advice in the book: Placing the pie pan on the floor of your oven. Alternatively, if you have a pizza stone another excellent choice for a crisp bottom crust.
Lily
the grape pie took me HOURS to make, but it was phenomenal! highly recommend
Amadéa Marie
This book contains a wealth of information. At 674 pages, it is an exhaustive study of pie and pastry crusts and fillings.

And by exhaustive, I mean I am exhausted.

However, it is a very educational book. Recipes are given with both weights and units of measure so you can use your preferred method. There is one section of pictures, which are drool-worthy, but I kind of wish the pictures had been with the recipes instead.

I think that if you take to this book carefully, reading each part of the rec...more
Kylie Briggs
Brownie Puddle Tart - 5 stars - My husband declared this to be the best brownie he's ever had. I should have cooked it another minute or two but slightly underbaked didn't hurt us. (Just don't tell Rose!) It was better the next day - Rose said it would be but who could wait to cut into it with my apartment smelling of chocolate? I had lots of leftover ganache but I just drizzled it on top of the brownie and called it good.
Douglas Hitzel
If you want to learn about pastry making then this is the book for you! Rose never ceases to amaze me in how thorough and complete her teaching is. If the details seem overwhelming I suggest you "hang in there" with her as those details will help you make your own baking decisions and creations later. Highly recommended.
Karen Jean Matsko Hood
Love and use this cookbook
Rachel Rogers
Haven't really made anything from this book but have used it as reference many times. The recipes and pictures make me drool.

2/19/08- Made the Chocolate Cream pie over the weekend, other than the piecrust (which was my family recipe). Amazing for a once in a while treat! Didn't need quite as much chocolate as the recipe called for, so says a chocoholic, but still it was divine. It won't replace Chocolate Cream Pie made with a from-the-box-cooked pudding mix, but fun to make and even more fun to...more
Cecily
Mar 01, 2008 Cecily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cecily by: Marissa
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one of the Young family's favorite cookbooks--especially since we have an annual pie night. While the crust shrink a lot, the recipes in this book are great. Our personal favorites are: Danish pastries, Banner Banana Pie, Brownie Puddle, Kiwi Lime Tart, Fresh Blackberry Pie. I also made the Brioche, but since I had never tasted Brioche before, I'm not 100% sure about the outcome. (I also accidentally overcoooked them.)
Mary Alexandra
This book is amazing. Holds hundreds of pies and pastry recipes. Everything from this book taste as good as it looks or vice versa. It's a book I'd recommend to the brave, because these recipes are not very easy and seem daunting to follow. I love this book. It has a whole chapter on how to make different kinds of pie crust. Truly, the best and only book you need to make a pie you'll never be forgotten for.
Rada
As my "star" rating indicates, I thought this book was amazing. The recipes were creative. The instructions were easy to follow. The food, well the food was delicious. I would love having this book in my permanent cookbook collection.
Jes Taber
it's everything you ever thought you would need to know, or didn't even dream you would want to know about pie. theres a few dozen recipes alone on crusts. it's one of those cookbooks you should have for life. for every pie occasion.
Karen Christian
I am borrowing this book from my daughter Sarah in hopes of learning how to make a decent pie crust. I think the book is the ultimate on the subject, although I know that Aki Okuno could probably write a better one!
Martina
Have only just started to scratch the surface of this, but so far the recipes are detailed and easy to follow (though somewhat involved). Fun and easy recipes for cookie crust, and the peach pie recipe is stupendous!
G--
Perfect recipes make stunning food. But give yourself an entire day per recipe. For perfectionists only. The honeybee pie is amazing [subtle, unexpected taste and glamorous looks] but takes many hours.
Ann Johnson Davis
If you liked The Cake Bible (I love it) you'll like The Pie and Pastry Bible. So much information! Just what I love in a cookbook. I especially like that she gives both volume and weight measurements.
Marie
The only thing that would make this book better is more pictures of the recipes. There are several in the center, but I wanted more. Still, this is an excellent resource for beginners and experts alike.
Monika
Rose is a saucy wench... I drool every time I open this book. Bake anything and everything of Rose's, it's all amazing and fantastic. Her pie crusts are amazing, perfect, and flakalicious.
Das
Excellent for those of us not well versed in pastry making. Easy to follow directions but the end product tastes much more complicated and complex. Highly recommended.
Bernie
I found this book very helpful in giving you different ideas for pie fillings. The book is very helpful for those who have no experience in making pies.
Liz
Found for $3 at Books for America. That was a lucky find.
Favorite recipes:
Perfect peach pie
All crusts (except lard)
Lauriero
Once again, another thorough investigation of pies. Includes a section on dealing with filo dough...
TMCGriffin
Follow her directions and everything you make from this book will be fabulous.
Sophia
I love this cookbook. It's too detailed, and I feel like I'm being micromanaged...
Debbie
hands down one of the best baking books ever written. chef's hats off to you rose!
Quinn Cole
Lots of yummy recipes and images of how it is supposed to turn out. Loved it!
Bax
One of those rare cookbooks that wants for absolutely nothing.
Iris
A book to drool over. I may even try some of the recipes.
  • Tartine
  • Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)
  • The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook
  • Baking
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
Rose Levy Beranbaum is an award-winning American baker and cookbook author.
More about Rose Levy Beranbaum...
The Cake Bible The Bread Bible Rose's Heavenly Cakes Rose's Christmas Cookies Rose's Celebrations