Start by marking “What Did We Use Before Toilet Paper?: 200 Curious Questions and Intriguing Answers” as Want to Read:

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Falling in love is a complicated, messy, mad endeavor -- and staying in love is even worse. But while bitter experience and brutal statistics may tell us that it will probably all end in tears, we still continue to believe in and pursue romance, even if it means losing sleep, friends, or sanity in the process.

In this nimble and original exploration of love's hidden motiva
Published July 20th 2010 by Ulysses Press (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What Did We Use Before Toilet Paper?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Did We Use Before Toilet Paper?

Julie
This book is just a bunch of random questions and a few paragraphs that answer them. Well, sort of answer them.

I question the accuracy and validity of a number of answers, which makes me question all of them. The first one that really jumped out at me was about eye color. There are people with two different colored eyes. I knew that. There are also people with different colors within the same eye. I don't think I knew that. I found it interesting, so I went to Google to find some pics, which led
Denise
Once you get past the title, this book was very informative, an easy read, and interesting. I learned several things from it and disagreed with a few.

The nice thing is you could read one question and answer and put it down or ten questions before you stopped reading. Since the questions didn't relate to each other you could stop without losing your train of thought once you went back to the story.

Pick it up if you enjoy trivia, or if you want a quick read of a book you can pick up and put down w
Karen!
The cover caught my eye. I enjoy miscellany and trivia. The intrigue pretty much stopped there.

The selection of topics was...odd. The namesake question is not even answered...and yes, i do know the answer to that, but seriously, dude?

There were a couple of nuggets that were interesting, but they were few and far between. For instance, coins originally had ridges on their edges because people used to shave off the edges to save some of the precious metal and still use the coin...whose value was l
Karma Poisson
I love useless information (because it's not useless, really), therefore, I purely enjoyed the questions posed within the book as well as the answers given...including the various beliefs and eras of said questions.
Susan Wheeler
Other than as light reading before bed, I don't recommend this book. Many of the questions just list multiple theories as to the answer, most of which I already knew.
Adam Smith
Utter cap! more holes in it than a tea bag!
Brian
yeah, this was written poorly. and, boring.
Lin S.
So much information to absorb. Kudos to Mr. Thompson for his research!
Licha
This was ok to pass time away and there were some interesting tidbits. However, many of the questions were never really answered, rather 2-4 theories were thrown in. I could have basically googled many of the questions presented in the book and came up with my own conclusions. I did not end up feeling any more enlightened in knowledge after reading this.
Marzena
Most of the questions are completely bizarre and the following answers are no better. I believe the book was supposed to be a funny kind of 'science for dummies' but there's a huge gap when it comes to some background science info.
Bree
Not as curious as I was hoping. The title made me think it would be silly, but very real questions like the "Why Do Men Have Nipples" books. I was let down as I tried not to yawn through this book. I skipped around a lot in the end because I was running out of time and patience.
MARTI

Some useful, fun info but in general the book is all about the questions which either we already know the answers or the ones that could not be explained by science or anything yet. For very young readers it could be a nice source though, I assume.
Amer Alkharoubi
جميل لمن يريد مجموعة من المعلومات المتفرقة التي لا علاقة لها ببعض والتي قد يكون من النادر ان يفكر فيها الانسان هكذا طبيعيا

ليست كل الاسئلة مجابة! لكن الكاتب يحاول طرح وجهات النظر الموجودة تجاه الموضوع

بالنسبة لي، استمتعت بالكثير من المعلومات فيه
Sue
Didn't seem very scientific, just a little light reading. I found it to be a fairly good collection of trivia.

Questions such as, "Why do we yawn, and why is it contagious?" Yea, well, that made me yawn just reading it . . . all the way through.
Maggie
Aug 24, 2011 Maggie marked it as didn-t-finish
Just couldn't really get into this book. It was kinda boring. I think I stopped after 10-20 pages. There's definitely some interesting stuff in it; perhaps I'll try again when I don't have a stack of (more entertaining) books to get to.
Indah Threez Lestari
834th - 2011

Banyak alternatif bacaan yang bisa dipilih untuk menghindari baca roman, apalagi ero-roman (istilah apa lagi ini?) di bulan puasa ini. Misalnya membaca buku yang menambah pengetahuan ringan model begini.
Ashley
Provides answers to a number of random questions throughout human history. Provides interesting information. Sources not really sighted but a fun read. A great book to keep in the bathroom.
Paul
It started well enough then it started losing steam. Maybe a very interesting book for a younger reader.
Sebastian
Most of the questions are just stupid and perhaps the writer use Google a lot for finding good answers.
Baldrick
Nice book for killing time and accumulating knowledge that you will forget the next day.
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
How does this crap get published? It's a book of google search results!
William
Another brief trivia list. Leaned slot toward origin of terms.
Huma Rashid
A bunch of questions. A bunch of answers. Very PC.
Stephanie
Very funny book - gave me all the answers for my 7 year old
Abraham Ray
nice question & answer book
Hesham
Hesham added it
Jul 22, 2015
Maggie
Maggie is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Todd
Todd added it
Jul 24, 2015
  • The Encyclopedia of Useless Information
  • Book of Totally Useless Information
  • What Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • The Last Sorcerers: The Path from Alchemy to the Periodic Table
  • Rival Rails: The Race to Build America's Greatest Transcontinental Railroad
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • Blood, Iron And Gold: How The Railways Transformed The World
  • Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats
  • Book of the bizarre
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • The Arsenic Century: How Victorian Britain Was Poisoned at Home, Work, and Play
  • Do Not Open
  • Titanic
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
Why Do Kamikaze Pilots Wear Helmets?: Answers to the Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask The Empire Strikes Back?: The Impact of Imperialism on Britain from the Mid-Nineteenth Century Dog Days - Tales from an American Road Trip Jesus of Arabia Christianity in the UAE: Culture and Heritage