Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia

Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  758 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Luminous at dawn and dusk, the Mekong is a river road, a vibrant artery that defines a vast and fascinating region. Here, along the world's tenth largest river, which rises in Tibet and joins the sea in Vietnam, traditions mingle and exquisite food prevails. Award-winning authors Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid followed the river south, as it flows through the mountain gor...more
Published October 7th 2000 by Artisan (first published October 2nd 2000)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
227th out of 827 books — 829 voters
Tenggelamnya Kapal Van Der Wijck by HamkaUnsavory Elements by Tom  CarterDi Bawah Lindungan Ka'bah by HamkaFloating on a Malayan Breeze by Sudhir VadakethAngkor And The Khmer Civilization by Michael D. Coe
Best Southeast Asia Nonfiction
15th out of 56 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Foxthyme
Any book I've ever read by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid I've loved. And I cook from. The authors have the ability to create the most wonderful food travel guide type cookbooks I've ever seen. They research thoroughly, travelling to the locations they are showcasing recipes. Then they sample, learn to prepare the dish from the cultural source, continue experimenting with, photograph, and eventually pull absolutely stunning recipes together into a book that is a visual feast.

Here's a compresse...more
Darren
This is a beast of a book. A very hefty coffee table book that is a mix between a travelogue and a recipe/cookery book, billed as a culinary journey through Southeast Asia.

By rights it should be laminated as it might protect the lovely full-colour photographs from being drooled upon as one develops pangs of hunger whilst reading, such is the realistic, lifelike and wonderful images that pepper this book.

Anyway.. the Mekong river is used as a thread within this book as it travails through south-e...more
Komal
I checked this out of the library and let's just say it's on my wish list to own a copy. Amazing pictures, lots of vegetarian options, and great recipes. Whenever I think of SE Asian cooking I think fresh and multitudes of flavor and this cookbook really does a great job capturing the essence of that. I also love reading about their travels throughout the region which is incorporated with the recipes and the fact that they try to incorporate as many different variations of each ethnic/regional g...more
Libraryassistant
One of my favorite cookbooks to 'read' ever. It gives you a complete picture of the people and foods of the Mekong delta, how they are related, how they differ, and what it is like to travel there. It is beautiful, inspiring-- and everything I tried was delicious! I read it from the library, but it is on my wish list to own, and I have both quoted it and recommended it to many others.
Kathleen
This book is 70% cookbook 30% travel memoir. I, personally, wasn't that into this book. The foods are organized into really western categories like salads and salsas. I didn't find that very useful and really wondered about that choice. I also think I would have preferred the book if it were organized into the various countries that they traveled to, one at a time. Instead, there were large photo spreads with accompanying text about one country and then the recipes on either side of the feature...more
Gabbi
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I've enjoyed some of their others, "Flatbreads and Flavors" and "Burma: Rivers of Flavor." The anecdotes seemed somehow less magical, less relevant to the recipes. The recipes themselves didn't grab me the way the other two books did.

However, for someone not well-versed in Southeast Asian cuisine, this is probably a good introduction; though not necessarily at an introductory skill level. I'd recommend any of Alford and Duguid's books, but this one with less e...more
Terri Jacobson
A treasure of a cookbook about Southeast Asia and its food. The recipes are outstanding and mouth-watering. Some of them require specialty ingredients, but if you have access to an Asian or International Foods market it should be no problem. (There are also on-line sources listed.) The photography of the people, places and food of Southeast Asia is absolutely stunning. The narrative not only describes the food, but also covers the history and geography of the area. This book is a star in my cook...more
Mary
I have this book it is a stunning book, the images are some of the most beautiful in any cookbook I have ever seen. Included are not only images of food but of the people, environment, accompanied by stories of history, culture etc. The only critism of the book and not really it's fault at all is that ingredients can be hard to find in a rural area.
Dholsten
recipes well researched--but found many complicated. not enough pictures.
Linda
Like Alford and Duguid's other books, this is as much a travel book as it is a cookbook. For those of us who read cookbooks as entertainment as well as for cooking ideas, these books are great. I haven't cooked anything from this one yet, but the recipes look really tantalizing.
Steph Heringer
Jan 21, 2008 Steph Heringer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Steph by: Chris
This is a wonderful book about Asian food - the authors traveled extensively and write about each area and the photos are gorgeous. I read this book prior to going to Vietnam and cooked some of the recipes included. I would recommend this to anyone who loves travel and loves food.
Mary
More of a journey through Thailand. A great coffee table book. Fantastic photos and very good recipes. Ingredients are a little exotic if you don't have a Thai grocery nearby. Yummmmm black rice pudding and ginger chicken noodle soup, and nothing beats tom yam goong and a good Thai curry!
Eileen Lee
Marvelous. Gorgeous photos, excellent recipes and great travel stories. I do not own this book (have borrowed umpteen times from library) but I want to buy it. All their book are great, but "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia" is especially good.
Chambers Stevens
This is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I own.
i've read it.
But I must confess I've never actually cooked any of the recipes.
Living in LA I can get great Southeast Asian food anywhere.
But the book did help me understand the food at restaurants a lot better.
Pamela
I love cookbooks and I especially love this one. No, I haven't even made anything from it yet--but I will. I just enjoy curling up with it and reading the great narrative along with delicious-sounding recipes. I just wish it wasn't so heavy! Try it--you'll like it!
Mariam
Part cookbook, part travelogue, part photography book. The recipes can provide a bit *too* much detail at times, making things seem more complicated than they really are. Nevertheless, this a joy to flip through for both travel and culinary inspiration.
Britta
Thoughtful recipes and stories together are excellent at bringing to life this food culture. Great read. But I do NOT recommend on a Kindle - format doesn't lend itself well and I felt like I missed out on the photograhy.
Kristine
I love Asian food and have cooked quite a few recipes from this for my blog. Part travelogue part cookbook this is a great read. I revisit this one frequently. Asian food requires a lot of prep work but the payoff is worth it.
Catherine Woodman
THis is a beautiful book that combines excellent recipes with stories and photos from SE Asia--I love the Vietnamese Chicken Salad, the Tom Yum Soup, and the Chickpea Star Anise Beef Stew, to name a few
Ali
Mar 18, 2008 Ali rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies, travel junkies, people with tastebuds. and eyes.
Shelves: food, canadian
Gorgeously photographed half cookbook, half travel memoir. This cookbook situates food and its faithfully reproduced recipes geographically and culturally, authentic to a traveler's experiences.
Brittany
I love Thai food and this book has fabulously detailed pictures, explanations and recipes. The Tom Yum and Panang curry are delicious!

Jeremy
Are you ready to tackle Asian cuisine? These recipes are easy to understand and more importantly yield enjoyable meals. Don't stop at the recipes though, read the whole thing.
Aja Marsh
Not nearly enough food photos. Especially considering the size of the book. This is one f those cookbooks people get to sit on their coffee table and never actually use.
Leigh
Gorgeous photos, clear and engaging narration, and the best damn food! I love rollin' up some fresh spring rolls, a little dipping sauce and a crisp beer for picnics.
ACRL
Mar 25, 2013 ACRL added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Tarida Anantachai. Learn more about Tarida on the ACRL Insider blog.
Charles Seluzicki
Dazzling cook book! Saw Jeffrey Alford on Martha Stewart. The guy is completely self possessed, his knowledge is grounded, authoritative.
Ken
The pork with bitter greens is my current obsession in this cookbook, but there are plenty to go around.
Charlotte Grayson
A beautiful book. It's more of a coffee table cooking/travel book rather than a book to cook from.
Jill Cordry
A beautiful book, with recipes. So glad I read it before my trip to Northern Thailand.
Alan Shook
An amazing book that is still a constant resource in our home.
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • 660 Curries
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Rick Bayless Mexican Kitchen
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent Flatbreads & Flavors Seductions of Rice HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China