Start by marking “The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide” as Want to Read:
The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide

The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
You are cordially invited to attend...

The Sweet Potato Queens are bona fide experts at planning a marvelous marriage (and ending one—flip this book right on over if you're looking for advice on dumping a deadweight hubby!), so who better to provide this handy wedding planner? And even if you're not planning your own nuptials, surely you have dreamt about your perfect day,
Published December 6th 2005 by Crown (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide

The Help by Kathryn StockettGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Southern Chick Lit
108th out of 200 books — 198 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Best Southern Books
343rd out of 497 books — 692 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea Greenbaum
Aug 14, 2010 Andrea Greenbaum rated it it was amazing
Got this book in a 3 dollar bin while on vacation. I was recently engaged, so naturally read the wedding planner part first (thinking it would be a "how-to"). The divorce guide is HYSTERICAL too. It's not a wedding "planner" in any sense of the word. It is a crazy woman who is the Queen of a group of ladies who call themselves "Sweet Potato Queens." They have yearly conferences/ parades/meetings/etc. and it is a collection of hilarious stories about the differences between men and women. I laugh ...more
Aug 19, 2010 Ryann rated it it was amazing
The audio version is fantastic and truly a great performance by the author. I laughed and cried and enjoyed it the whole time. I highly recommend it. You'll appreciate her books much more if you're Southern or middle-aged, but I think anyone could find the humor in them.
Tabby Kat
May 24, 2008 Tabby Kat rated it it was amazing
No matter where you are in your marriage-anything from planning to meet the future groom to trying to decide how big to make the bonfire of the ex husband's crap-this is the book that tells a woman most of the things her friends are trying to tell her nicely. But they love her so they can't be nice about it-so get a big, funny Southern woman to tell you what you need to know. In classic Southern way, Browne regails you with stories of her friends, leaves you in stitches, offers a few yummy recip ...more
Feb 08, 2009 Kendra rated it liked it
I always like to read a Sweet Potato Queens book (except for that god-awful novel that Jill Conner Browne tried to write), and I'd love to go to Jackson, MS one of these years to see the SPQs in the St. Paddy's Day Parade. This book isn't really anything new (you'll need to read the first book or two for that), but it's funny, and I think it was clever to have a "wedding planner" on one side and a "divorce guide" on the other. It's worth noting that, although the wedding planner isn't actually u ...more
Pamela Sweezy
Aug 18, 2016 Pamela Sweezy rated it it was amazing
I loved every witty word of this book. I thought it was brilliant and hilarious to include both a wedding planner and a divorce guide. Don't be offended, just laugh at the practicality of it all. And speaking of brilliant, they put recipes in there. So... I now need a copy of this in case you were wondering what to get me for my birthday.
Aug 29, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
This hilarious reference is a one-stop relationship shopper's dream: start from the front and it's a wedding planner; flip the book over and it's a divorce guide. Boasting "around thirteen marriages and eight divorces—so far—not to mention more than 300 combined years of valuable experience," Browne and her fellow Queens offer sage advice, dire warnings and sidesplitting anecdotes for women who could use "some sympathy, some understanding, some refreshments and a little f*cking help around here. ...more
Jul 15, 2016 GeeketteKathy rated it it was amazing
In her gloriously sassy style, Jill Conner Browne narrates this book on wedding planning AND her wit and wisdom about divorce. While originally from "the North" and now living in "the south." I knew little about "southern ways," i.e. debutante balls and southern hospitality, but was soon to learn a thing or two.

Being a big fan of sassy women (I am admittedly one myself; although in "the north," they have another word for us - "b****"), I looked forward to travelling with Jill as my companion on
Kimberly Ann
Jan 26, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
Although this is a butt-shakin' hilarious book...the advice is dead right on serious. Many of us would think the advice is a "no-brainer", but in truth it isn't....

One thing that really grabbed my attention was her take on love & olfactory sense. I've thought long & hard about how our sense of smell & pheromones effect our hearts.... and I came to the conclusion that love, smell & pheromones are all tied up together and mostly we fall in love due to the pheromones of that main sq
I listened to this one on audio. Jill Connor Browne does such a fantastic job narrating again. Her commentary on southern life and women's issues remind me so much of my crazy aunts and grandmas back home that I will be, of course, listening/reading more from this author.
Sep 07, 2015 Corene rated it really liked it
I'm apparently late to the party on this one, having never heard of the Sweet Potato Queens, who are a real thing, or any of the books. Though themed around marriage and divorce, this one is mostly a collection of comic essays, anecdotes from the author, (who entertainingly performs the audio edition,) and cautionary tales from her Sweet Potato Queen friends, known as SPQs. She gets real at the end of the divorce guide section, with sage advice for women in bad relationships; she herself has bee ...more
May 26, 2015 Joanne rated it liked it
I’ve read several Sweet Potato Queen books and they are witty and funny. This one was also entertaining, but it was sometimes annoying like they just kept repeating the same thing and it wasn’t as funny anymore. It reminded me of a comedian where the first 10 minutes are hilarious and then the next 20 minutes are repeats and not that funny the second time around.

The first half of the book is advice about getting married geared to a more seasoned bride, but still with diva bridezilla tones. The
Sep 18, 2013 L. rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Still the same pithy anecdotes and sometimes low opinion of men (although warranted most of the time). I DID NOT like the envy of girls who are force fed in Nigeria in order to be more marriageable. These poor girls are forced to eat sometimes 12,000 calories per day and lie about, waiting to expand to an acceptable size against their wills. Most of these girls are told if they do not comply that they will be disowned, beaten, or killed as a mark of preserving family honor in the light of such d ...more
May 05, 2014 MISS marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want
The Sweet Potato Queens know a thing or two about ending a marriage (and beginning one—flip this book on over if you’re planning on attaching yourself to the ol' ball and chain!), so who better to provide this crucial divorce guide? Besides, whether you’re getting your own personal divorce or not, chances are you’ll be calling Mr. Right Mr. I-Don’t-Think-So sometime in the future! In this practical handbook, you'll learn:

• How to survive even the nastiest divorce while maintaining your queenly c
May 27, 2009 AuthorsOnTourLive! rated it it was amazing
Jill Conner Browne, Boss Queen of the Sweet Potato Queens of Jackson, Mississippi, and the author of several New York Times bestsellers, reads from and discusses her newest book, The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide.

In this hilarious guide, readers will find must-have advice on planning a marvelous marriage, and (when you flip the book over) everything you need to know about dumping a deadweight hubby!

We met Jill Conner Browne when she visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in De
Apr 12, 2016 Rebecca rated it did not like it
More a list of dictates from the sweet potato queen, rather than an actual entertaining story.
May 25, 2016 Alice rated it it was amazing
LOVED it and laughed and laughed!!
Susan Reed
Sep 29, 2015 Susan Reed rated it it was amazing
excellent as always! love these ladies!
Trish Mcallister
Dec 25, 2015 Trish Mcallister rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny!
May 22, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I once heard a Spanish proverb: A woman marries in black because someday the bride will be a widow. In other words, marriage is for life.

The Sweet Potato Queens disagree. As you marry, you should plan for divorce. Although I disagree with this, I thinks it's something to remember. No marriage is immune from divorce.

The Sweet Potato Queens attack this notion with humor. Although both weddings and divorces can be painful, neither needs to be as serious as we take them to be.
Ginger Creel
Nov 09, 2014 Ginger Creel rated it it was ok
Shelves: tried-but-died
I remember her other books being quite different than this one. My mother picked it for book club and was horrified by the vulgarities. I'm not what I consider a prude, but some of it was a little over the top. Some of it was hilarious and helpful, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Jan 03, 2015 Wanda rated it really liked it
Love the stories. A fun book. Looking forward to trying some of the recipes included.
This was hilarious, I didn't read very much of the divorce guide but the wedding planner side actually had some good points, hilarious but still good none the less. There were several awful scenario's one should avoid when having a Southern wedding that I needed to be reminded on. Overall very down to earth and good info.
Becky Everhart
Feb 15, 2008 Becky Everhart rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Celia Rivenbark fans
How convenient to include advice for wedding and divorcing in the same book, considering today's statistics. I read this book in the midst of neither situation, being happily married for a couple of years, and still found it to be a fun, informative read. I just love modern Southern humor.
May 30, 2016 Charlie rated it it was ok
I love me some Sweet Potato Queens, so don't get me wrong, but this was my least favorite book of all. The wedding part was okay, but the divorced part seemed bitter and one-sided to me, and I had to force my way to finish. The recipes are still awesolicious!
Jul 09, 2012 Jill rated it liked it

I definitely enjoyed this book, it made me laugh out loud a couple of times. But the weird things was, it did make me kind of mad at my hubby for no other reason than the tone of the Divorce Guide. I'll stick with the Book of Love.
Mar 24, 2009 Alison rated it it was ok
I thought that reading this while I was engaged and planning a wedding would make it that much more cute/funny/entertaining. Nope. It's just ok. But I do love the flip-the-book-around-and-you-have-a-whole-other-book thing. Pretty clever.
May 07, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious, and I actually made some of the recipes. (I don't think you really have to get divorced to make the divorce cake, but a word of warning... you can't even READ the recipe if you're on a diet!)
Jul 17, 2008 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I've yet to flip it over and read the wedding planner side, I just don't think I can stomach it yet. The divorce guide was very funny and supportive. "Whatever your reason...we support you..." Thank you!
Cyndie Todd
May 02, 2012 Cyndie Todd rated it liked it
So handy - one side is all the wedding advice you'd want from a fun and knowledgable best friend; flip it over and there's the same friend at-the-ready for when the honeymoon is over.
Simone Collins
Amusing, yes. Though none of it applies to me. NONE. Enjoyed it because it's great to hear someone jabber on like that. Made me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Grits Friends Are Forevah: A Southern-Style Celebration of Women
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories
  • Americanos: Latin America's Struggle for Independence
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Organizing your Life
  • Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)
  • Southern Living
Jill Conner Browne is the multiple #1 New York Times bestselling author of nine Sweet Potato Queens books and has created a global phenomenon--6,200 chapter groups in 37 countries--based upon her philosophy and world-view as recounted through these rollicking, raucous and riotously funny essays. Women and smart men understand that the bawdy, sassy, down-to-earth humor is simply the vehicle by whic ...more
More about Jill Conner Browne...