Start by marking “The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide” as Want to Read:
The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide

The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  938 ratings  ·  40 reviews
You are cordially invited to attend...

The Sweet Potato Queens are bona fide experts at planning a marvelous marriage (and ending one—flip this book right on over if you're looking for advice on dumping a deadweight hubby!), so who better to provide this handy wedding planner? And even if you're not planning your own nuptials, surely you have dreamt about your perfect day,
Published December 6th 2005 by Crown (first published January 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide

Andrea Greenbaum
Got this book in a 3 dollar bin while on vacation. I was recently engaged, so naturally read the wedding planner part first (thinking it would be a "how-to"). The divorce guide is HYSTERICAL too. It's not a wedding "planner" in any sense of the word. It is a crazy woman who is the Queen of a group of ladies who call themselves "Sweet Potato Queens." They have yearly conferences/ parades/meetings/etc. and it is a collection of hilarious stories about the differences between men and women. I laugh ...more
Ryann
The audio version is fantastic and truly a great performance by the author. I laughed and cried and enjoyed it the whole time. I highly recommend it. You'll appreciate her books much more if you're Southern or middle-aged, but I think anyone could find the humor in them.
Tabby Kat
No matter where you are in your marriage-anything from planning to meet the future groom to trying to decide how big to make the bonfire of the ex husband's crap-this is the book that tells a woman most of the things her friends are trying to tell her nicely. But they love her so they can't be nice about it-so get a big, funny Southern woman to tell you what you need to know. In classic Southern way, Browne regails you with stories of her friends, leaves you in stitches, offers a few yummy recip ...more
Kendra
I always like to read a Sweet Potato Queens book (except for that god-awful novel that Jill Conner Browne tried to write), and I'd love to go to Jackson, MS one of these years to see the SPQs in the St. Paddy's Day Parade. This book isn't really anything new (you'll need to read the first book or two for that), but it's funny, and I think it was clever to have a "wedding planner" on one side and a "divorce guide" on the other. It's worth noting that, although the wedding planner isn't actually u ...more
Brandy
I listened to this one on audio. Jill Connor Browne does such a fantastic job narrating again. Her commentary on southern life and women's issues remind me so much of my crazy aunts and grandmas back home that I will be, of course, listening/reading more from this author.
Joanne
I’ve read several Sweet Potato Queen books and they are witty and funny. This one was also entertaining, but it was sometimes annoying like they just kept repeating the same thing and it wasn’t as funny anymore. It reminded me of a comedian where the first 10 minutes are hilarious and then the next 20 minutes are repeats and not that funny the second time around.

The first half of the book is advice about getting married geared to a more seasoned bride, but still with diva bridezilla tones. The
Library-KAT
Although this is a butt-shakin' hilarious book...the advice is dead right on serious. Many of us would think the advice is a "no-brainer", but in truth it isn't....

One thing that really grabbed my attention was her take on love & olfactory sense. I've thought long & hard about how our sense of smell & pheromones effect our hearts.... and I came to the conclusion that love, smell & pheromones are all tied up together and mostly we fall in love due to the pheromones of that main sq
L.
Still the same pithy anecdotes and sometimes low opinion of men (although warranted most of the time). I DID NOT like the envy of girls who are force fed in Nigeria in order to be more marriageable. These poor girls are forced to eat sometimes 12,000 calories per day and lie about, waiting to expand to an acceptable size against their wills. Most of these girls are told if they do not comply that they will be disowned, beaten, or killed as a mark of preserving family honor in the light of such d ...more
MISS
May 05, 2014 MISS marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want
The Sweet Potato Queens know a thing or two about ending a marriage (and beginning one—flip this book on over if you’re planning on attaching yourself to the ol' ball and chain!), so who better to provide this crucial divorce guide? Besides, whether you’re getting your own personal divorce or not, chances are you’ll be calling Mr. Right Mr. I-Don’t-Think-So sometime in the future! In this practical handbook, you'll learn:

• How to survive even the nastiest divorce while maintaining your queenly c
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Jill Conner Browne, Boss Queen of the Sweet Potato Queens of Jackson, Mississippi, and the author of several New York Times bestsellers, reads from and discusses her newest book, The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide.

In this hilarious guide, readers will find must-have advice on planning a marvelous marriage, and (when you flip the book over) everything you need to know about dumping a deadweight hubby!

We met Jill Conner Browne when she visited the Tattered Cover Bookstore in De
I once heard a Spanish proverb: A woman marries in black because someday the bride will be a widow. In other words, marriage is for life.

The Sweet Potato Queens disagree. As you marry, you should plan for divorce. Although I disagree with this, I thinks it's something to remember. No marriage is immune from divorce.

The Sweet Potato Queens attack this notion with humor. Although both weddings and divorces can be painful, neither needs to be as serious as we take them to be.
Ginger Creel
I remember her other books being quite different than this one. My mother picked it for book club and was horrified by the vulgarities. I'm not what I consider a prude, but some of it was a little over the top. Some of it was hilarious and helpful, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Wanda
Love the stories. A fun book. Looking forward to trying some of the recipes included.
Kana
Summary
This was hilarious, I didn't read very much of the divorce guide but the wedding planner side actually had some good points, hilarious but still good none the less. There were several awful scenario's one should avoid when having a Southern wedding that I needed to be reminded on. Overall very down to earth and good info.
Becky Everhart
Feb 15, 2008 Becky Everhart rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Celia Rivenbark fans
How convenient to include advice for wedding and divorcing in the same book, considering today's statistics. I read this book in the midst of neither situation, being happily married for a couple of years, and still found it to be a fun, informative read. I just love modern Southern humor.
Jill

I definitely enjoyed this book, it made me laugh out loud a couple of times. But the weird things was, it did make me kind of mad at my hubby for no other reason than the tone of the Divorce Guide. I'll stick with the Book of Love.
Alison
I thought that reading this while I was engaged and planning a wedding would make it that much more cute/funny/entertaining. Nope. It's just ok. But I do love the flip-the-book-around-and-you-have-a-whole-other-book thing. Pretty clever.
Kristen
This book is hilarious, and I actually made some of the recipes. (I don't think you really have to get divorced to make the divorce cake, but a word of warning... you can't even READ the recipe if you're on a diet!)
Leslie
I've yet to flip it over and read the wedding planner side, I just don't think I can stomach it yet. The divorce guide was very funny and supportive. "Whatever your reason...we support you..." Thank you!
Cyndie Todd
So handy - one side is all the wedding advice you'd want from a fun and knowledgable best friend; flip it over and there's the same friend at-the-ready for when the honeymoon is over.
Simone Collins
Amusing, yes. Though none of it applies to me. NONE. Enjoyed it because it's great to hear someone jabber on like that. Made me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
Teeni
Funny, funny, funny. And the recipes all contain copious amounts of butter, bacon, cheese or sugar, so they have to be good. No SPQ recipe has ever let me down.
Irish
Absolutely hilarious and laugh outloud hilarious!!! I loved it!!! A little crude around the edges just enough for you to think "Oh, no she didn't"!!! :)
Courtney
Pee in your pants funny. Listened to the audiobook which is read by Jill Conner Browne and I think that makes it even better,
KATIE
Picked up this audio book at the library. It was somewhat entertaining but mostly strange! Not quite my humor.
Robyn V.
thought I'd listen to this in order to get some laughs while I'm driving all around for the holidays
Dylan Ferniany
Jan 18, 2008 Dylan Ferniany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dylan by: my mom
a must read for all women everywhere to read- single, married, and divorced. so funny.
Jessi
Let's be honest. The sweet potato queens are roll models for life.
Aimee
Wedding part was hilarious, divorce side fell flat.
Michele Buono
I do love reading me some Sweet Potatoes Queens books! :)
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Grits Friends Are Forevah: A Southern-Style Celebration of Women
  • When All the World Was Young
  • The Knot Book of Wedding Lists
  • It's Not Mean If It's True: More Trials from My Queer Life
  • Homesick: A Memoir
  • Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance
Jill Conner Browne is the multiple #1 New York Times bestselling author of nine Sweet Potato Queens books and has created a global phenomenon--6,200 chapter groups in 37 countries--based upon her philosophy and world-view as recounted through these rollicking, raucous and riotously funny essays. Women and smart men understand that the bawdy, sassy, down-to-earth humor is simply the vehicle by whic ...more
More about Jill Conner Browne...
The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love God Save the Sweet Potato Queens The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, or Dead The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)