Start by marking “Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, Nutrasweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Most people believe that sucralose (Splenda) is a perfectly safe artificial sweetener. Big business and the FDA have fostered that dangerous misconception. The truth is Splenda is by no means safe; and the same is true for many of the other artificial sweeteners being marketed today. Dr. Joseph Mercola---supported by extensive studies and research---exposes the fact that S ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Deception

Inspired Kathy
There are times when it is necessary to sweeten something so I gleaned a lot from this book. For quite a while I've told my kids I would rather they ate sugar instead of an artificial sweetener. This book reaffirmed that belief. Although natural sweeteners are better than artificial ones they too cause a whole host of health problems. Although we've never consumed much in the way of artificial sweeteners I'll be going out of my way to avoid them in the future and doing my best to limit all sweet ...more
Miss Clark
Kimberly
Good read, it reinforced a lot that I already knew, but it was good to go back over it. I am learning to enjoy food and drinks without sweetener of any kind, and it really isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. More discouraging, perhaps, is the discussion of prescription drugs and the FDA, it shows how as health care consumers it is absolutely critical to advocate for ourselves and not just go fill prescriptions without due diligence.
Tina
I was more interested in the science of how natural and artificial sweeteners affect the body, but this book is mainly about the failings of the FDA; how they approve prescription drugs and artificial sweeteners for consumption knowing full well they might be unsafe. some interesting stuff, but it was more FDA heavy than I was expecting.
Wellington

If you eat, you should read this book. Dr. Mercola goes on about the history and industry of artificial sweetners and the FDA. You may or may not agree with his worries over artificial sweetners, but you should at least peek under the hood and see who the FDA actually protects and how it operates.

Kevin
About the dangers of artificial sweeteners. A lot of interesting historical info about their creations and discoveries. Also laden with anti-FDA material, not saying it isn't true, but there are more in-depth books on this, like Nestle's Food Politics.
travelmel
Excellent book. Everybody should read this book. It mainly covers the issue of artificial sweetners but it does a really good job of explaining the scary reality of politics, big business, and the horrible reality that is the FDA.
Tammy
I kept having bad reactions whenever I drank diet soda or ate low-carb foods with aspartame or sucralose in them... so I looked up this book. Now I want all my friends and family to read it, too.
Becki
wow so scary! I was already anti artificial sweetner, but this read brought me to a whole new level. As a recovering sugar addict this was so interesting and motivating.
Margaret
This bookis a must read about artifical sweetens that the general public use unknowing the truth about their orign and effects on the body.
Aimee Raisor
Sometimes he goes on a bit too long, but this book taught me a lot about artificial sweeteners and why we should avoid them.
George Orwell
A real look into Artificial Sweeteners and the FDA- watch out for yourself, because they don't got your back!
Kathryn
Tiresome to get through, lots of hyperbole to wade through to get to the facts
David Warner
Very interest read. It has made me think about everything I eat...
Janice Nixon
Janice Nixon marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Diane Dunn
Diane Dunn marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Alex Yaeggy
Alex Yaeggy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Barrie
Barrie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kori
Kori marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Tom
Tom added it
Mar 29, 2015
Mary Cognat
Mary Cognat marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Leanna Manuel
Leanna Manuel marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine: Improving Health and Longevity with Native Nutrition
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • Apple Cider Vinegar: Miracle Health System
  • Genetic Roulette
  • The Crazy Makers
  • Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great
  • Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts
  • Thin Within
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • The Art of Sensual Massage
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
Dr. Joseph Mercola is a natural health expert based in Illinois. He believes that people are capable of taking control of their health – they can harness their body’s ability to stay optimally healthy. He shares his recommendations through his website, Mercola.com. It is one of the leading natural health websites today, with over one million subscribers worldwide.

Dr. Mercola has authored three New
More about Joseph Mercola...
Effortless Healing: 9 Simple Ways to Sidestep Illness, Shed Excess Weight, and Help Your Body Fix Itself Dr. Mercola's Total Health Program: The Proven Plan to Prevent Disease & Premature Aging Optimize Weight and Live Longer The No-Grain Diet: Conquer Carbohydrate Addiction and Stay Slim for the Rest of Your Life Take Control of Your Health Generation XL: Raising Healthy, Intelligent Kids in a High-Tech, Junk-Food World