Start by marking “Nice Girls Don't Change the World” as Want to Read:
Nice Girls Don't Change the World

Nice Girls Don't Change the World

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Margaret Mead said: Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. My version of that quote is: Never doubt that a community of thoughtful, committed women, filled with the power and love of God, using gifts they have identified and developed, and pursuing passions planted in them by God never doubt that these women can change the wo...more
Published December 11th 2005 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nice Girls Don't Change the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nice Girls Don't Change the World

Faith Spinks
Very simple book. Lynne Hybels speaks from the heart. I read it in a matter of hours but know that this is a book which I will want to return to time and time and again to really grasp and take to heart all the gems inside it.
D'angela
Amazing truths in this book! I really appreciated her candor. It was like she was writing about my story and my journey. One of my favorite quotes is:...."the opposite of a nice girl is not just a good woman, but a downright dangerous woman. A woman who shows up with everything she is and joins the battle against whatever opposes the redeeming work of God in our lives and in our world."
Daniel
Some stuff worth pondering for sure. Out of the depths of the hopelessness of ever living up to God's standards on our own, comes beautiful rest in knowing that not only can't we earn his love...we don't have to!! We're already as loved as we can possibly be in Jesus. That's where we find the source for a life really worth living, not just trying to be "nice"...
Fed
Good book. The beginning is a little slow, but it evolves into a very good story.

In the first pages, as the author explains her emotional state and what she went through it is not exactly easy for the reader to get in her shoes, but toward the middle of the book, she talks about specific situations and events that make readers able to relate to her story.

As for the content, I am not surprised to read that she believed in a god who was demanding and all about chores - hence, a god without love....more
Megan
My husband gave me this book and I just finally read it. It is a great book! Nice girls do for others without taking into consideration the gifts God has given them. God wants us to live a life doing what we love, what we're good at, not merely fulfilling duties. Inspiring and quick read.
Sandra
Ever heard how you were suppose to a good girl? Well, this author explores what that means and how God expands on that adventure.

Page 86 says it best: "We need to choose to believe was are all in this together. WE need to accept and honor our own lives so we can accept and house each other's lives. When we do this, when we help one another, cheer one another on, call one another to our truest and highest selves, we become a powerful force for good--for God--in this world. If ever the world need...more
Taija
This book was really different than I expected... but it was a quick read, full of basic truths that I feel and don't always admit. I found myself liking the author immensely - wishing I went to her church so I could get a cup of coffee with her afterward! I think I would find that we have a lot in common. I especially liked her prayer for us to be "dangerous women" and the quote below.

"Never doubt that a community of thoughtful, committed women, filled with the power and love of God, using gift...more
Madeline Stone
Nice little book.
What a gem. Would be easy to read quickly, but better to go slowly and ponder Hybels message. There are so many perceived 'shoulds' of the Christan walk, especially for the ladies. It was beautiful to see a committed woman exposing some of these 'shoulds' for what they really are - lies. Lies that can keep us from the journey we were meant to travel. Would make a great gift as it is a lovely book and contains such an affirming message.
Heidi Wiechert
This was a great testament by a very spiritual woman but I wanted more! More details, more story, more encouraging words. She made a lot of interesting observations and general suggestions, but this wasn't the "story" that I was hoping that it would be. Live authentically and share your deepest truth with others. True. So, tell us more about your life, Lynne. I'm sure there's more to it than one speaking engagement to Northern Ireland.
Ana Cray
Wow. I recently finished a book entitled 'Holy Spirit, My #1 Mentor' and was led to find this book from my piles of books to read and wow! What a great book! I grew up with the same belief system as the author and have been un-learning some beliefs and have been getting to know my true Heavenly Father and His deep unconditional love for me. This book inspires me to keep seeking God and His will for my life!
Jen
So, this book was written for me, I think. It's a short, to the point read. I've already gone through it a few times and each time I pull out a new nugget. I think every woman who is a self-diagnosed "people pleaser" NEEDS to read this book!
Kimberly
This was a very short/quick read. A different kind of book that really hit home with me. This is a book that will help you open your eyes to the right kind of focus on God and how to be a Godly Woman not just a "nice girl".
Elena
it really is an inspirational book...there's times in life when every girl of God needs to be reminded that God loves just the way she is.

for more on this books please go here: http://gribook.me/posts/nice-girls/
Mindelynn
Gave this book 3 stars which surprised me that a book by somebody with the last name Hybels could get such a high rating. Seriously - good book for women who struggle with conservative evangelical stereotypes.
Angel Royal
Very quick read and such great points. Very simply written but harder to put into practice. She talks about the difference btwn nice girls, good women and dangerous women.
Julie Baylor
Through this book I learned the difference between a nice girl, a good woman, and a dangerous woman. I'm choosing to be the latter.
Brent
Similar theme as Jesus + Nothing but kept the focus on Jesus instead of focusing on the importance of our works as filler
Mary
A very easy read. Danielle, you would enjoy this one. Probably nothing you haven't heard before, but good to hear again!
Michelle Bodle
a short but powerful book for women who are caught in the cycle of being nice instead of living into who they were created to be.
Betsy
A worthwhile read but VERY short. I finished within half an hour. So more like a speech than a book.
Joseph Zichterman
Aug 16, 2009 Joseph Zichterman marked it as to-read
Lynne is transparent and honest, my wife really liked this book.
Stacey Bailey
Good perspective. Lynne Hybels is a very good writer and motivator.
Joy
A great little read about who God is and who He is not.
Renate
My fave is the poem! That is one of my mantras!
Karen
WAnted to like it better than I did.
Stefanie
Quite inspirational
Sherilyn
Sherilyn marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Annie Zagorski
Annie Zagorski marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Sadie
Sadie added it
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Rediscovering Church: The Story and Vision of Willow Creek Community Church Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime The Resignation Of Eve: What If Adam's Rib Is No Longer Willing To Be The Church's Backbone? Making Life Work Blood Brothers