Start by marking “Nice Girls Don't Change the World” as Want to Read:
Nice Girls Don't Change the World

Nice Girls Don't Change the World

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  242 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Margaret Mead said: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.” My version of that quote is: “Never doubt that a community of thoughtful, committed women, filled with the power and love of God, using gifts they have identified and developed, and pursuing passions
planted in them by God—never doubt that these women can change the
Published December 11th 2005 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nice Girls Don't Change the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nice Girls Don't Change the World

Faith Spinks
Very simple book. Lynne Hybels speaks from the heart. I read it in a matter of hours but know that this is a book which I will want to return to time and time and again to really grasp and take to heart all the gems inside it.
Justine
May 10, 2015 Justine rated it it was amazing
what a great little read. inspirational and refreshingly honest. hybels confesses her depression and pinpoints her years of striving after approval, from God and from people. it's a hard lesson for women to learn
Kathryn
Dec 20, 2015 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Read this book in one sitting, it's a slim book, that honestly reveals, briefly, the author's struggles to overcome her desire to please people and to work doing what a "good girl" should to a woman who wants to only please God, and live bravely. It reads mostly as an encouragement and a conversation starter with a few practical tips thrown in. Because of its brevity, it didn't pack a super powerful punch for me. My favorite portion was the last few pages where she gave examples of scripture tha ...more
Susan Barnes
Jun 13, 2015 Susan Barnes rated it really liked it
Nice girls don't change the world is Lynne Hybels' autobiographical account of changing from a people pleaser to a woman of faith and action. Lynne grew up believing in a demanding, unpleasable God, even though intellectually she knew God was a God of love and grace. However in her heart she felt she had to try hard to earn his love and atone for her misdeeds.

In her late thirties she became seriously depressed and no longer had the energy to work at pleasing God or anyone else. She saw a counsel
D'angela
Apr 04, 2009 D'angela rated it it was amazing
Amazing truths in this book! I really appreciated her candor. It was like she was writing about my story and my journey. One of my favorite quotes is:...."the opposite of a nice girl is not just a good woman, but a downright dangerous woman. A woman who shows up with everything she is and joins the battle against whatever opposes the redeeming work of God in our lives and in our world."
Daniel
Dec 15, 2011 Daniel rated it liked it
Some stuff worth pondering for sure. Out of the depths of the hopelessness of ever living up to God's standards on our own, comes beautiful rest in knowing that not only can't we earn his love...we don't have to!! We're already as loved as we can possibly be in Jesus. That's where we find the source for a life really worth living, not just trying to be "nice"...
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
This is a very inspirational book. If you take it to heart it could be life changing. I know that some of the things she describes in this book I could relate to. I really like how she explains how God changed her heart and life. With God's help this book can change your heart, mind and free your soul.

Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am dis
Fed
Jun 21, 2013 Fed rated it really liked it
Good book. The beginning is a little slow, but it evolves into a very good story.

In the first pages, as the author explains her emotional state and what she went through it is not exactly easy for the reader to get in her shoes, but toward the middle of the book, she talks about specific situations and events that make readers able to relate to her story.

As for the content, I am not surprised to read that she believed in a god who was demanding and all about chores - hence, a god without love.
Cathy Floreen
Apr 19, 2016 Cathy Floreen rated it liked it
I liked it, but it was a very short, simple book. I guess I was expecting a little more of a memoir. It has some uplifting qualities to be sure, but I was expecting something a little more raw, more about her journey and struggles. It seemed to be more for her lessons learned and takeaways, which is good if you just want a short feel-good kind of book.
Megan
Sep 05, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
My husband gave me this book and I just finally read it. It is a great book! Nice girls do for others without taking into consideration the gifts God has given them. God wants us to live a life doing what we love, what we're good at, not merely fulfilling duties. Inspiring and quick read.
Sandra
May 28, 2010 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Ever heard how you were suppose to a good girl? Well, this author explores what that means and how God expands on that adventure.

Page 86 says it best: "We need to choose to believe was are all in this together. WE need to accept and honor our own lives so we can accept and house each other's lives. When we do this, when we help one another, cheer one another on, call one another to our truest and highest selves, we become a powerful force for good--for God--in this world. If ever the world need
Taija
Dec 30, 2010 Taija rated it it was ok
This book was really different than I expected... but it was a quick read, full of basic truths that I feel and don't always admit. I found myself liking the author immensely - wishing I went to her church so I could get a cup of coffee with her afterward! I think I would find that we have a lot in common. I especially liked her prayer for us to be "dangerous women" and the quote below.

"Never doubt that a community of thoughtful, committed women, filled with the power and love of God, using gift
Leia
Feb 11, 2016 Leia rated it it was amazing
Read this book in one sitting and loved the insight into one person's journey. So much wisdom.
Sandy
Mar 16, 2015 Sandy rated it liked it
A brief, inspirational book about why being too nice is not productive.
Kellie Wagner
Feb 09, 2015 Kellie Wagner rated it really liked it
Listened to the author share parts of her story at the IF Gathering.
Madeline Stone
May 13, 2014 Madeline Stone rated it liked it
Nice little book.
Oct 20, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What a gem. Would be easy to read quickly, but better to go slowly and ponder Hybels message. There are so many perceived 'shoulds' of the Christan walk, especially for the ladies. It was beautiful to see a committed woman exposing some of these 'shoulds' for what they really are - lies. Lies that can keep us from the journey we were meant to travel. Would make a great gift as it is a lovely book and contains such an affirming message.
Heidi Wiechert
Sep 04, 2013 Heidi Wiechert rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
This was a great testament by a very spiritual woman but I wanted more! More details, more story, more encouraging words. She made a lot of interesting observations and general suggestions, but this wasn't the "story" that I was hoping that it would be. Live authentically and share your deepest truth with others. True. So, tell us more about your life, Lynne. I'm sure there's more to it than one speaking engagement to Northern Ireland.
Ana
Jun 14, 2012 Ana rated it it was amazing
Wow. I recently finished a book entitled 'Holy Spirit, My #1 Mentor' and was led to find this book from my piles of books to read and wow! What a great book! I grew up with the same belief system as the author and have been un-learning some beliefs and have been getting to know my true Heavenly Father and His deep unconditional love for me. This book inspires me to keep seeking God and His will for my life!
Jen
Oct 09, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
So, this book was written for me, I think. It's a short, to the point read. I've already gone through it a few times and each time I pull out a new nugget. I think every woman who is a self-diagnosed "people pleaser" NEEDS to read this book!
Kimberly
Sep 07, 2010 Kimberly rated it really liked it
This was a very short/quick read. A different kind of book that really hit home with me. This is a book that will help you open your eyes to the right kind of focus on God and how to be a Godly Woman not just a "nice girl".
Elena
Jul 31, 2011 Elena rated it it was amazing
it really is an inspirational book...there's times in life when every girl of God needs to be reminded that God loves just the way she is.

for more on this books please go here: http://gribook.me/posts/nice-girls/
Mindelynn
Dec 19, 2010 Mindelynn rated it liked it
Gave this book 3 stars which surprised me that a book by somebody with the last name Hybels could get such a high rating. Seriously - good book for women who struggle with conservative evangelical stereotypes.
Angel Royal
Apr 29, 2013 Angel Royal rated it really liked it
Very quick read and such great points. Very simply written but harder to put into practice. She talks about the difference btwn nice girls, good women and dangerous women.
Julie Baylor
May 14, 2012 Julie Baylor rated it it was amazing
Through this book I learned the difference between a nice girl, a good woman, and a dangerous woman. I'm choosing to be the latter.
Brent
Jun 21, 2013 Brent rated it it was amazing
Similar theme as Jesus + Nothing but kept the focus on Jesus instead of focusing on the importance of our works as filler
Mary
Jun 24, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
A very easy read. Danielle, you would enjoy this one. Probably nothing you haven't heard before, but good to hear again!
Michelle Bodle
Dec 03, 2013 Michelle Bodle rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity, women
a short but powerful book for women who are caught in the cycle of being nice instead of living into who they were created to be.
Betsy
Dec 29, 2010 Betsy rated it liked it
A worthwhile read but VERY short. I finished within half an hour. So more like a speech than a book.
Joseph Zichterman
Aug 16, 2009 Joseph Zichterman marked it as to-read
Lynne is transparent and honest, my wife really liked this book.
  • How I Changed My Mind about Women in Leadership: Compelling Stories from Prominent Evangelicals
  • The Resignation Of Eve: What If Adam's Rib Is No Longer Willing To Be The Church's Backbone?
  • A Cry for Justice
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Pursuing Justice: The Call to Live & Die for Bigger Things
  • The Book for People Who Do Too Much
  • Called for Life: How Loving Our Neighbor Led Us into the Heart of the Ebola Epidemic
  • When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church and the Scandal of Their Subordination in
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
  • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath
  • The Mom Factor
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance through Their Stories
  • Ten Lies the Church Tells Women: How the Bible Has Been Misused to Keep Women in Spiritual Bondage
  • Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life
Since 1975, when Lynne & Bill Hybels started Willow Creek Community Church, Lynne has been an active volunteer at the church. For the last twenty years she has engaged in ministry partnerships in under-resourced communities in Latin America and Africa, and has advocated for Comprehensive Immigration Reform on behalf of the hundreds of undocumented immigrants who call Willow Creek their church ...more
More about Lynne Hybels...