Physicians of the Heart: A Sufi View of the 99 Names of Allah

4.76 of 5 stars 4.76  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A Sufi View of the 99 Names of Allah
Published 2010

Rahima Warren
This is a very rich, deep guide to inner work including spiritual and psychological aspects woven together. It is based on the Sufi view of the 99 Names of Allah, which I would call Aspects of the Divine Human Nature. Anyone who has been doing their inner work for a while could reap rich rewards from reading this book.

As part of the explication of the "Names," it also reveals the amazing complex subtlety of the Arabic language, without overwhelming the reader with too many linguistic details. I...more
Katrina
Jan 16, 2012 Katrina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katrina by: Noor-Malika
This is the most thorough book on the 99 names of Allah that I've read so far. It's very accessible for a western audience, and it gives a lot of linguistic background on the Arabic that helps to show deep meanings of each name as well as connections among the names. My only criticism is that it's written more for Sufi teachers/therapists than for students or those using the book on their own. I would have liked a little more detail on how to actually USE the names in recitation.
Elizabeth
Wonderful introduction to the names, groups by their relationship (e.g. 3 names associated with forgiveness). Helpful to work through specific issues, personal development.
Jude Arnold
Aug 29, 2012 Jude Arnold marked it as to-read

Just got my new hardbound copy of this beautiful, beautiful book!

Karima
Not accurate to say I "finished" this book on such-and-such a day. This book is a lifetime endeavor. And such a life!
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.
Seema
An unbelievably beautiful book - one of the best I have ever come across. Now if we could combine this with the enneagram work that would be something! A book to come back to again and again, and each time take something new. A real treasure of work on the 99 Treasures. So thankful to the teachers that wrote/experienced this.
Masood Alam
Feb 11, 2012 Masood Alam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't read or see anything cause nothing is shown from this book.
Annie
It is not a book to sit down and read through---little
Syeda
Syeda marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Abdul Gafoor
Abdul Gafoor marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Afshan
Afshan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Attila
Attila marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Rahul
Rahul marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
wild~rose
wild~rose is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2014
Y
Y marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Razia Forte
Razia Forte marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Kberndtson
Kberndtson is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2014
Naila
Naila marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Sri
Sri marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Cathy
Cathy is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Physicians of the Heart: A Sufi View of the Ninety-Nine Names of Allah A Pearl in Wine: Essays on the Life, Music and Sufism of Hazrat Inayat Khan In The Garden with Murshid Sam Calling on God: Sacred Jewish Teachings  For Seekers of All Faiths The Bowl of Saki Commentary: Daily Insights for Life