Start by marking “Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night” as Want to Read:
Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night

Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night

Boasting a rich, complex history rooted in Celtic and Christian ritual, Halloween has evolved from ethnic celebration to a blend of street festival, fright night, and vast commercial enterprise. In this colorful history, Nicholas Rogers takes a lively, entertaining look at the cultural origins and development of one of the most popular holidays of the year.
Drawing on a fa
Published October 31st 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halloween

Oana
Dec 10, 2010 Oana rated it really liked it
A really good intro to the history of Halloween, this book presented the rather surprising background of the holiday, that it was celebrated for at least two centuries along gender lines (girls spent their Halloweens playing with marriage divination tricks, boys trashing the neighbourhood). I also commend it for its Canadian content.

Some other readers found it academic and slow, which puzzles me. It is a short, easy read.
Eric Hoefler
Apr 17, 2011 Eric Hoefler rated it it was amazing
Rogers covers a wide range of ideas related to the dark holiday, particularly given the book's length. It also helps that he writes well, so you breeze easily through even some of the more fact-and-figure intensive sections. Interesting, informative, and a great October read.

The book addresses the origins of Halloween, its history in Britain and North America, its similarities to Mexico's "Day of the Dead," urban legends and popular reactions to the holiday, its representation in Hollywood, curr
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
This book was interesting and informative, but I hate reading books that are supposed to be factual, scholarly-type works that contain obvious biases. If I'm looking for facts, I don't want to hear the author's opinion on various religions or political beliefs. In this case, the author frequently referred to the Evangelical Right or the Religious Right as ridiculous or ignorant, without backing up the claims. I was looking for more history and less editorializing.

The information that the book c
Lindsay
Jan 09, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book to be a little dry for a book about Halloween. It was fun for me to read about the traditions that trick or treating evolved from, and I finally understand the Peter Paul and Mary song "A Soulin" that my parents used to sing. If you decide to read this book, I would highly recommend giving yourself permission to skim it. I think you'll enjoy it much more.
Walt
Jul 06, 2009 Walt rated it liked it
Shelves: coffee-table
This has a slow start and a slow end. However, the middle section describing the evolution of Halloween customs such as souling, candy, costumes, and mischief is very interesting.
Steve Wiggins
Rogers offers a book on the history of Halloween that covers the basic territory of the early material that can be known. The problem is that early records of the festival are rare and there is only so much that might be implied. He does a good job covering it. Then, like most books on Halloween, much of the rest of the material is the description of celebrations of the holiday in various cities, with a noticeable emphasis on Canada.

There's nothing wrong, of course, with describing how people ce
Wondra Vanian
Oct 11, 2016 Wondra Vanian rated it did not like it
Shelves: halloween, nonfiction
I didn't think it was possible for anything related to Halloween to bore me.

Guess I was wrong.

This one was too dry and unimaginative to hold my interest.
Erik
Nov 03, 2015 Erik rated it did not like it
Predictable and boring would be my characterization of this all too familiar Orwellian re-writing of events. For starters the title is somewhat misleading as the book barely touches on the pagan roots of Halloween, a better title would be something more along the lines of, The social justice warriors guide to Halloween. Most of the book are commentary on old newspaper clippings with the intent of showing that the objection to the violence and mayhem of youths during Halloween are just a fantasy ...more
Daniel Fitzgerald
May 18, 2009 Daniel Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
A bit more academic than the similar Death Makes a Holiday which I recently read. This book focuses less on haunted houses and yard hauntings and the particulars of Halloween in Hollywood, instead considering Halloween's function as a convention-upending liminal festival of pranking and social re-organization. Provides some interesting insights into early Halloween traditions in the British Isles -- also some good info about Halloween practices amongst Scottish and Irish immigrant communities in ...more
Gwyn
Oct 07, 2013 Gwyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I picked up this book to learn a little about the pre-Christian origins of Halloween, but wound up reading all the way to the end because it's interesting, informative, and well-written. A slim little book, it doesn't take very long to read; Rogers avoids unnecessary verbosity in favor of concise (but not terse) language. The only time I found myself skimming was the section on horror movies, which Rogers analyzes in far greater depth than I think necessary. This is really the perfect book for ...more
Alexa
Oct 04, 2012 Alexa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this book, but I really wanted more about the mythology of Halloween. The book advertises that it traces the traditions of Halloween from ancient Druids until today, but I found that the book focused mostly on modern events. The book does a great job of discussing the influence of Halloween on the horror genre and culture in general. Over all, it was informative and interesting but not exactly as it is advertised.
Melanie
Sep 29, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
Not quite as good/informative as I'd hoped it would be, but there is some interesting info about the history of Halloween contained therein. That being said, I think there are better books out there on the subject.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
I found this book to be well researched and very informative. It really is mind-boggling to contemplate the amount of time and the number of influences that were involved in bringing about this very unique holiday.
Jimmie
Oct 25, 2011 Jimmie rated it liked it
Halloween is the definitive history of the most bewitching day of the year, illuminating the intricate history and shifting cultural forces behind this enduring holiday.
Bryan Davis
Sep 20, 2013 Bryan Davis rated it did not like it
Wow... This book took my favorite holiday and made it incredibly boring. While parts were interesting, I felt like I was reading my grad. school homework again instead of a pleasure read.
Ruby
Oct 19, 2015 Ruby rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
While I learned some interesting background on Halloween, this book was very disorganized and repetitive.
Hope
Oct 12, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it
Slightly more scholarly and dry, this covers much of the same ground as Death Takes a Holiday, but is less idiosyncratic. Still, worth a read if you like Halloween history.
Rory
Jul 03, 2016 Rory rated it liked it
It was okay. Kind of a dry read from time to time. The occasional spelling and grammar errors were kind of distracting, but other than that it was an okay read.
Chris
Sep 06, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Academic examination of the origins and traditions of Halloween. I found the sections on the paganistic roots of the holiday to be incredibly slow-going.
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2007
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Brice
Brice rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2012
Videodrome84
Videodrome84 rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2010
Eden
Eden rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2009
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Nausicaä  Nausicaä
Nausicaä Nausicaä rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Derek Johnston
Derek Johnston rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Samuel De Jong
Samuel De Jong rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Heather Wright
Heather Wright rated it did not like it
Oct 21, 2015
Mark Meer
Mark Meer rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
  • Halloween: An American Holiday, an American History
  • Christmas: A Candid History
  • The Pagan Book of Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween: Celebrating the Dark Half of the Year
  • Halloween
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • Hallows Eve
  • The Book of Hallowe'en
  • Halloween (The Best of Martha Stewart Living)
  • Trick or Treat: A History of Halloween
  • The Vampire: A Casebook
  • Strange Histories: The Trial of the Pig, the Walking Dead, and Other Matters of Fact from the Medieval and Renaissance Worlds
  • Gothic: Four Hundred Years of Excess, Horror, Evil and Ruin
  • Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween
  • Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England's Vampires
  • Hollywood Monster: A Walk Down Elm Street with the Man of Your Dreams
  • Bittersweet: The Story of Sugar
For the archivist and medieval historian, see Nicholas J. Rogers

Nicholas Rogers is Professor of History at York University, Toronto, Canada. He is the co-author of Eighteenth-Century English Society: Shuttles and Swords (OUP) and the author of Crowds, Culture, and Politics in Georgian Britain (OUP), for which he received the 1999 Wallace K. Ferguson Prize of the Canadian Historical Association for
More about Nicholas Rogers...