Start by marking “Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)” as Want to Read:
Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)

Camber the Heretic (The Legends of Camber of Culdi #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4,978 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Paperback.
Published November 1981 by Del Ray Book (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Camber the Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camber the Heretic

Joseph
Nov 06, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it
Well. Remember how I said there were no real villains in Saint Camber? That's because they've all decamped to here ...

The story picks up about a dozen years after Camber's canonization. Camber himself (very much alive and unsaintly) is still continuing in the role he took on midway through the previous book, and has established the Camberian Council to try to work from the shadows to mitigate tensions between the humans (some of whom still remember Deryni oppression and/or look enviously at Dery
Tanya
Mar 10, 2008 Tanya rated it it was amazing
I had read the Chronicles of the Deryni before I read any of the Legends of Saint Camber. When I finally did read the Camber books, this was the first one I read, and talk about being completely lost!!!!!!
BESURE to read Camber of Culdi, and Saint Camber first or you will have no clue what is going on in this book.

That being said, the Camber books are some of her best work. By the time you get into this book, the back lash against the deryni is growing, and it is so hard to read. At this point sh
Mike
Dec 12, 2014 Mike rated it liked it
Minor spoilers, although if you've read the first two, it's not really blowing much.
Anyway, so this book takes it's time (a lot of time) with no real action and a lot of talking and walking around and describing. Whenever there's a Mass, I actually feel like I'm at Mass in real time. And then suddenly this dude gets his hand chopped off and another dude gets a sword in his eye and there's genocide, genocide everywhere!
Some reviews complain that the original Deryni series that these are prequels
Kevin
Oct 06, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
So it has come to my attention that sometimes I have to be slapped in the face to notice the obvious.
LONG before I ever read the X Men, I found through these novels that things such as racism and bigotry can be masked in literature to teach us white males that just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean its not happening.
I wont go through reviews on all of these novels -- much like Robert Jordan, its about the first six-eight that are incredible, and then the quality tails off noticeably
Penelope Green
Dec 18, 2016 Penelope Green rated it liked it
This trilogy just did not hold up on the re-read. Now not only were the protagonists all incredibly arrogant, they were all obsessed with secrecy for reasons that are never clear (or consistent) and frequently the actions taken were dumb and without good reason. It is never explained why certain decisions were made beyond a "required for the plot" and it kept throwing me out of the story.

Plus, if you're feeling victimised because people keep accusing you of running a conspiracy to cling to some
Sverre
===== Rather lackluster but essential reading for Deryni loyalists =====

This book is too long. Its lengthy descriptions of magic rituals, official ceremonies and experiments in “blocking Deryni powers” in members of the Deryni race, are likely to detract from most reader’s enjoyment. There are two other negative aspects to the book: 1. The detailed descriptions of the cruelty and gruesomeness of “human” attacks, warfare and persecution, the obliteration of Deryni individuals and organizations. I
Kiri
I've read the books in the trilogy several times. It is a series I encountered in my teens. I will admit to enjoying the entire Deryni canon, however I have a particular fondness for the earlier pre-Kelson eras. This book never seems to fail in regards to depth, or as I've found, complexity. To find the writing fresh, relevant, and still entertaining after decades is the mark of good writing.
While this book is not a light-hearted read, or deals with topics that are entirely cheery it does refle
Caroline
Amie
Mar 15, 2011 Amie rated it liked it
Shelves: dad, fantasy
To be fair, the first two thirds of this book I'd give only two stars, while the final third I'd give four stars. So I split the difference and gave it three.

My biggest problem is this: the majority of this, the last in the Legends of Camber of Culdi series, is pretty slow going. It is just setting up the problem, and it takes forever. Once things finally start happening, the book is over. As is the trilogy. And the next trilogy picks up two hundred years later... which bugs me, because now I'm
Julia
Feb 24, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I often follow history and sometimes current events through the filter of novels that I've read, and I decided to re-read this because of a scene that popped into my head during the news coverage of Pope Benedict's resignation and the descriptions of how the new pope will be chosen. (view spoiler)

This book has a very powerful narrative, which makes me immediately want to re-read the next book (by internal chronology The Harrowing of Gwynedd). Despi
April
Aug 01, 2015 April rated it liked it
Shelves: library, fantasy
This one was rather grim with all of the persecutions and preparations for avoiding them.

I had a couple of issues with the narrative - once again, the blithe takeover of another human's mind and body doesn't seem to phase anyone, sure, they have qualms but they all just agree to it in the end. Also, I find that while the Deryni were admirably clever in preparing for their sad future in hiding; they overlooked a great deal in the here and now which might have done more for them in the end.

In any
Terence
Nov 11, 2008 Terence rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Another popular author whose popularity escapes me. I liked elements of the Camber of Culdi series I found in this book but it didn't hook me.

It was only many years later, reading the essay "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie" in Ursula Le Guin's The Language of the Night that I think I got a handle on what subconsciously bothered me at the time I read it. Le Guin's essay discusses what makes fantasy "fantasy" and takes a passage from Kurtz's Deryni Rising to show what is most definitely not.
Donna
May 01, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, fantasy
Conclusion to the Camber trilogy. The backlash against the Deryni gets out of control as Cinhil dies and an anti-Deryni regency controls the new, sickly young king. The body count of major characters was quite high by the end which seemed quite realistic for what was happening in the book. Really good series, I enjoyed re-reading it after so many years.
Noah
Mar 13, 2016 Noah rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Similar to the other books in the trilogy, the story is intriguing enough to keep you going, but there's not many characters to sympathize with. Added to that, it doesn't really wrap up the trilogy well and leaves a kind of cliffhanger ending even though it is the last book in the trilogy. I'm still a bit torn as to how I feel about this book and about the entire trilogy as a whole.
Jessica
Feb 15, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I loved Camber, and his children, but this was the one when I started to think, Things are getting from bad to worse . . . Not in the quality of the book, but the level of tragedy she was asking her characters to endure!
Doris
May 07, 2013 Doris rated it liked it
This book is hard to read because of all the backlash against the Deryni - just because they are special. Prejudice is never pretty and this book is no exception.
Maggie
Aug 13, 2016 Maggie rated it liked it
For some reason it took a while for me to read this. I miss all the free time I use to have. For having so many books in a series it continues to be good.
Jossalyn
Dec 08, 2012 Jossalyn rated it really liked it
love the combination of high religious ritual, the saints specific for certain qualities, and magic.
first read 1981
Sarah Creighton
Jul 06, 2016 Sarah Creighton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it!

This book is hard to put down. You seem to be in the period with the characters. You have to see what happens next.
David Zerangue
Feb 25, 2013 David Zerangue rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Certainly a well put together novel. I really enjoy reading about this world. Much darker in tone than the other books. Looking forward to the next set in the future.
Michael
Mar 23, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed the first trilogy of the Deryni books. These are some of my favorite books. Love the setting and the psychic abilities.
Kerry
Nov 01, 2016 Kerry is currently reading it
Again, reading with Judith Tarr on Tor.com.
Todd
Aug 20, 2012 Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoy Katherine Kurtz's writing a lot, but this one left me a little lost in parts. Overall it's a little slow, but a good read regardless.
Magda
Now that the whiny king died, I resumed enjoyment of this series, except when lots of the characters I like died, and more were/are scheduled to die according to the family trees at the back.
Ysabet
Reread in 2003, originally read sometime between 1994-1996.
Stephen Wolfe
Stephen Wolfe rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Kami Landy
Kami Landy rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Susanne
Susanne rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2008
  • Ars Magica
  • Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2)
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • Shadows of Sanctuary (Thieves' World, #3)
  • The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
  • Six of Swords
  • Master of the Five Magics
  • The Misenchanted Sword (Ethshar, #1)
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • The Copper Crown (The Tales of Aeron, #2)
  • Vision of Tarot (Tarot, #2)
19475
Katherine Kurtz is American fantasy novel writer. She is best known for her Deryni series. She currently lives in Virginia.
More about Katherine Kurtz...

The Legends of Camber of Culdi (3 books)
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)