Start by marking “Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)” as Want to Read:
Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)

Camber the Heretic (The Legends of Camber of Culdi #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  4,099 ratings  ·  18 reviews
King Cinhil, who had assured peace between the Deryni and humans in Gwynedd, was dying. And the regents who were set to rule in the place of his sickly son were evil men who could very well undo all that Cinhil had accomplished. Once they ruled, no Deryni would be safe. The only hope lay in a discovery that blocked off all Deryni talents, enabling them to go underground an ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 506 pages
Published November 1981 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Camber the Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camber the Heretic

The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardElric of Melniboné by Michael MoorcockSwords and Deviltry by Fritz LeiberThe Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl by Janet E. Morris
Sword and Sorcery
295th out of 356 books — 270 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
High on high-fantasy
57th out of 83 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Tanya
I had read the Chronicles of the Deryni before I read any of the Legends of Saint Camber. When I finally did read the Camber books, this was the first one I read, and talk about being completely lost!!!!!!
BESURE to read Camber of Culdi, and Saint Camber first or you will have no clue what is going on in this book.

That being said, the Camber books are some of her best work. By the time you get into this book, the back lash against the deryni is growing, and it is so hard to read. At this point sh
Mike
Minor spoilers, although if you've read the first two, it's not really blowing much.
Anyway, so this book takes it's time (a lot of time) with no real action and a lot of talking and walking around and describing. Whenever there's a Mass, I actually feel like I'm at Mass in real time. And then suddenly this dude gets his hand chopped off and another dude gets a sword in his eye and there's genocide, genocide everywhere!
Some reviews complain that the original Deryni series that these are prequels
Caroline
Sverre
===== Rather lackluster but essential reading for Deryni loyalists =====

This book is too long. Its lengthy descriptions of magic rituals, official ceremonies and experiments in “blocking Deryni powers” in members of the Deryni race, are likely to detract from most reader’s enjoyment. There are two other negative aspects to the book: 1. The detailed descriptions of the cruelty and gruesomeness of “human” attacks, warfare and persecution, the obliteration of Deryni individuals and organizations. I
Kevin
So it has come to my attention that sometimes I have to be slapped in the face to notice the obvious.
LONG before I ever read the X Men, I found through these novels that things such as racism and bigotry can be masked in literature to teach us white males that just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean its not happening.
I wont go through reviews on all of these novels -- much like Robert Jordan, its about the first six-eight that are incredible, and then the quality tails off noticeably
Amie
To be fair, the first two thirds of this book I'd give only two stars, while the final third I'd give four stars. So I split the difference and gave it three.

My biggest problem is this: the majority of this, the last in the Legends of Camber of Culdi series, is pretty slow going. It is just setting up the problem, and it takes forever. Once things finally start happening, the book is over. As is the trilogy. And the next trilogy picks up two hundred years later... which bugs me, because now I'm
Julia
I often follow history and sometimes current events through the filter of novels that I've read, and I decided to re-read this because of a scene that popped into my head during the news coverage of Pope Benedict's resignation and the descriptions of how the new pope will be chosen. (view spoiler)

This book has a very powerful narrative, which makes me immediately want to re-read the next book (by internal chronology The Harrowing of Gwynedd). Despi
Terence
Another popular author whose popularity escapes me. I liked elements of the Camber of Culdi series I found in this book but it didn't hook me.

It was only many years later, reading the essay "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie" in Ursula Le Guin's The Language of the Night that I think I got a handle on what subconsciously bothered me at the time I read it. Le Guin's essay discusses what makes fantasy "fantasy" and takes a passage from Kurtz's Deryni Rising to show what is most definitely not.
Donna
Conclusion to the Camber trilogy. The backlash against the Deryni gets out of control as Cinhil dies and an anti-Deryni regency controls the new, sickly young king. The body count of major characters was quite high by the end which seemed quite realistic for what was happening in the book. Really good series, I enjoyed re-reading it after so many years.
Caine1064
Brilliant very enjoyable.
Jessica
I loved Camber, and his children, but this was the one when I started to think, Things are getting from bad to worse . . . Not in the quality of the book, but the level of tragedy she was asking her characters to endure!
Magda
Now that the whiny king died, I resumed enjoyment of this series, except when lots of the characters I like died, and more were/are scheduled to die according to the family trees at the back.
David Zerangue
Certainly a well put together novel. I really enjoy reading about this world. Much darker in tone than the other books. Looking forward to the next set in the future.
Doris
This book is hard to read because of all the backlash against the Deryni - just because they are special. Prejudice is never pretty and this book is no exception.
Todd
I enjoy Katherine Kurtz's writing a lot, but this one left me a little lost in parts. Overall it's a little slow, but a good read regardless.
Michael
I really enjoyed the first trilogy of the Deryni books. These are some of my favorite books. Love the setting and the psychic abilities.
Jossalyn
love the combination of high religious ritual, the saints specific for certain qualities, and magic.
first read 1981
Ysabet
Reread in 2003, originally read sometime between 1994-1996.
Wade
Wade added it
Apr 01, 2015
Flowers
Flowers marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • Ars Magica
  • Master of the Five Magics
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • Six of Swords
  • The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1)
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
  • The Illearth War (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #2)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
  • Shadowspawn
  • Beyond Sanctuary
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • The Copper Crown (The Tales of Aeron, #1)
  • The Misenchanted Sword
  • Silverlock
19475
Katherine Kurtz is American fantasy novel writer. She is most known for her Deryni series.
She currently lives in Virginia.
More about Katherine Kurtz...

The Legends of Camber of Culdi (3 books)
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)
High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3) Deryni Rising (The Chronicles of the Deryni #1) Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1) Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2) The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)