Start by marking “Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know” as Want to Read:
Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know

Universe: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas You Really Need to Know )

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  9 reviews

In this, the latest volume in the best selling 50 Ideas series, author Joanne Baker unravels the complexities of the universe for a general readership.

From Heliocentrism to dark matter, and from Kepler’s laws of planetary motion and orbits to Olber’s paradox and the Shapley-Curtis debate, she explains ideas at the cutting-edge of scientific enquiry, making them comprehen

Published September 20th 2010 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Universe

Traveller
I've just sort of paged through this and read bits and pieces. It's very similar to those "dictionary of terms" books one finds about various subjects.

Being thus, it doesn't go into all that much detail about anything, of course, but i suppose it is a reasonably serviceable introduction to the subject, as are most of these '50 ideas' books.
Katherine
I enjoyed the format of this book. In it, 50 topics are explored briefly over four pages. There are also some very good explanations of difficult to understand topics in this book. However, there is also some inaccurate information and some wrong information in this book. For example, the book states that the light from the Sun reaches Earth in 8 seconds, however the correct measurement of time is actually around 8 minutes.
Somer Canon
I wrongly assumed that this was one of those fast, dirty trivia books. I eat those things for breakfast and love them. Through no fault of it's own, this book proved to be not what I was expecting. This is a book for smart people, which I am most certainly not. I learned a thing or two reading this (I almost never give up on a book once I start) but let's be honest, unless the lesson is accompanied by a bouncy tune and is narrated by a sock puppet, data like what is contained in this book will f ...more
Sian Brannan
I read this when I was 14 and it is the first Popular Science book that I ever read. I thought it was incredible! Clear and concise, yet a lot of knowledge can be gained from the book. I remember being excited by every page, which is something that does not happen often. This book is what initially inspired me to study Physics at university.
I would recommend to anyone who wants to start reading Popular Science but has no idea where to start, and would especially recommend to young people who ar
Mark
This is a series of books sort of like the "Complete Idiot's guide to...". They are of variable quality, as you might suspect, but I thought this one did a very nice job of summarizing (summarising, actually) questions that come up that I can't quite remember the answer to, e.g. what is a Quasar?, what is the significance of the cosmic microwave background?, what is Olber's paradox, etc.
Joe
This is an incredible book. It has brief descriptions of (you guessed it) fifty of the most awesome things about the universe, and it has enough information to leave a reader content, but leaves out just enough for you to want to go and read further into every single thing. Definitely a great book to start anyone off, this whole series of books are just as good.
Phoena
Very interesting book, learned a lot. Some of it was over my head but I still enjoyed it. Some of it I already knew from watching a lot of space documentaries. I'm always enjoying learning more about the universe. It's more interesting than us mere humans!
Michael Leon
Very handy review of the big issues in cosmology, ideal backgrounder for the novel I am currently writing.
Muhammad Shafiq
useful reading for me. Tell us basic ideas about universe.
Daniel Holden
Daniel Holden is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
Jun Chen
Jun Chen marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Karan Mhatre
Karan Mhatre is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Stephen
Stephen is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
M. M.
M. M. marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Henry
Henry is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Keyvan Mas
Keyvan Mas marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Waqas
Waqas marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Amanara Potykytã
Amanara Potykytã marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Breanna
Breanna marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Scarlet Daggerfists
Scarlet Daggerfists marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Alya Faira
Alya Faira marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Martín Luciano
Martín Luciano is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
  • 50 Genetics Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Mathematical Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Literature Ideas You Really Need to Know (Hardcover)
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus
  • 50 Architecture Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas You Really Need to Know series)
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Management Ideas You Really Need To Know
  • The Backyard Astronomer's Guide
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • How to Destroy the Universe: and 34 Other Really Interesting Uses of Physics
  • The History of Medicine: A Very Short Introduction
  • Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL
  • Powers of Ten (Revised) (Scientific American Library Paperback)
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • The Quantum Ten:  A Story Of Passion, Tragedy, Ambition And Science
  • A Brief History of the Universe

50 Ideas You Really Need to Know (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Digital Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Earth: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know. by Martin Redfern
  • 50 Economics Ideas
  • The Future: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Genetics Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Literature Ideas You Really Need to Know (Hardcover)
  • 50 Management Ideas You Really Need To Know
50 Physics Ideas You Really Need to Know 50 Quantum Physics Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas You Really Need to Know series) 50 cosas que hay que saber sobre física cuántica (Spanish Edition) Les lois essentielles de la physique : Pour tous Get Ready! for Standardized Tests: Reading Grade 3

“Why I came here, I know not; where I shall go it is useless to inquire—in the midst of myriads of the living and the dead worlds, stars, systems, infinity, why should I be anxious about an atom?” 0 likes
“The Sun contains most of the mass of the solar system (99.9 percent) in a ball whose diameter is about 100 times that of the Earth. It is about 150 million kilometers away, and light from it takes eight seconds to reach us.” 0 likes