Start by marking “At Leningrad's Gates” as Want to Read:
At Leningrad's Gates

At Leningrad's Gates

This is the remarkable story of a German soldier who fought throughout World War II, rising from conscript private to captain of a heavy weapons company on the Eastern Front.
ebook
Published August 1st 2010 by Casemate Publishers and Book Distributors (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about At Leningrad's Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Leningrad's Gates

djcb
Dec 10, 2016 djcb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Title says it all -- German guy grows up in the 30s and ends up with Army Group North, which was fighting for Leningrad. From his own words, he seems to be against Nazism, yet willing to fight for his country. Unlike many, he actually survives the war. Moves to Canada/US with his wife. American dream; finds God etc.

Not to diminish the struggles he went through (let alone the struggles on "the other side"), as a book it wasn't really compelling. Which can happen of course, esp. with auto-biopics.
Michael Flanagan
Sep 10, 2011 Michael Flanagan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww-2
As far as WWII German Soldier memoirs go this one was disappointing. It was more of a historic overview of the operation the author was involved in, without ever going into any great detail. For me a good memoirs puts me right there in the authors shoes, feeling what he is and seeing what he is, in this regard this book was a failure. While it was at times an entertaining read I found myself often wishing the book was over so I could move onto my next read. As an avid WWII consumer of books I fa ...more
Lew
Mar 12, 2013 Lew rated it liked it
This WWII memoir is pretty plain. What I actually found very interesting was Mr. Lubbeck description of growning up on a German farm in the twenties and thirties. I also found his story of his and wife's life was after the war. This book doesn't add much to the history of eastern front but it does add to the way rural life in Germany before the war. After the war, it talks about the difficulties of living in West Germany but the family farm was in East Germany.
Walt
Mar 10, 2014 Walt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see the war from the point of view of a common German soldier. while he doesn't go into great detail on combat or operations just seeing the war from his perspective has greatly added to my knowledge and understanding if WWII. I also found his experience and perspective on immigrating yo America particularly interesting.
Jill Kent
Mar 22, 2014 Jill Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good memoir.

This book is more of a general memoir. It is not real in depth or gritty, combat wise. it is more like a personal story telling of the 58th. division. If you are looking for detailed descriptions of combat on the Eastern Front, this book is not for you. the overall story is a good read and an excellent overview of life before, during and after the war.
Jonathan
Mar 05, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii-axis
An ok memoir, not so much down in the nitty gritty of combat as most memoirs but written more as a general overview of his childhood, combat experiences, and post war life. Written honestly it feels, would be rated much higher if he had taken the time to give more personal details. Over all not a bad book though.
Cansalt
Apr 18, 2013 Cansalt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What i liked about this book, is that this book is written by an average german soldier. I was very interested to see his experience and his honest insight into the period. I would like to thank the author and other people involved to bring this book to the shelves. 4 stars because i really enjoyed the book and i believe it is very honest, everyone should read this book.
Dan Lewis
Aug 31, 2010 Dan Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Oberlin
Sep 24, 2010 Paul Oberlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read. I thought it was interesting that the author drew the parallels between how Germans viewed the military and pride in their country in the 1930's and 40's to how contemporary Americans feel about our military and country.
Eileen Tate
Mar 31, 2014 Eileen Tate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I read this. It is the story of a German and little he really understood of Hitler and what was going on. Fascinating historical account.
Sergio
Aug 04, 2010 Sergio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young man's journey thru a brutal war - no excuses made. When you read between the lines, a very honest and humble man, who would have not chosen to server in any army, appears.
John
May 16, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1history, box3
Good read. The story of a German soldier told first hand about serving on the Russian Front in WW2. Written in 2010 when he was in his late 80's.
Susan Smith
Susan Smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Rosita
Rosita rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
George Serebrennikov
George Serebrennikov rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Federico Peyrani
Federico Peyrani rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Piotr
Piotr rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Glennes Johnson
Glennes Johnson rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Donald R. Martin
Donald R. Martin rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Jason Dean
Jason Dean rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Cornell
Cornell rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Maarten Slot
Maarten Slot rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Patrick Belair
Patrick Belair rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Ryan Bukaty
Ryan Bukaty rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Steve Wolfe
Steve Wolfe rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Alexandre
Alexandre rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front
  • Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front
  • Black Edelweiss
  • Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjager on the Eastern Front, 1941 43
  • Grenadiers: The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt "Panzer" Meyer (Stackpole Military History): The Story of Waffen SS General Kurt ... of Waffen SS General Kurt Panzer Meyer
  • Tigers In The Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius
  • Frontsoldaten: The German Soldier in World War II
  • Soldat: Reflections of a German Soldier, 1936-1949 (Dell War)
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross