Start by marking “Your Personal Penguin” as Want to Read:
Your Personal Penguin

Your Personal Penguin

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  848 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The irrepressible, ever-original Sandra Boynton introduces a brand new Boynton board book, "Your Personal Penguin" with an accompanying 6 in. plush toy. "Your Personal Penguin" is a read-aloud, listen-along favorite for young children and the grown-ups who read to them. The book tells the story of a slightly bewildered hippo and the loyal penguin who wants nothing more tha ...more

To ask other readers questions about Your Personal Penguin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Personal Penguin

Samantha Penrose
A sweet, simple story that rivals our old Boynton favorite "snuggle puppy". The story is all about how much better things are when we are together. I love the page that says "I want to travel with you far and wide"...there is a drawing (same style as all Boynton books) of the hippo and the penguin in a hot air balloon with a real life photograph (a little blurry) of mountain tops and clouds in the background.
With Snuggle Puppy, we never heard the song...I made up my own tune for it. I tried to d
Kirsten Mellin
I don't know how Sandra Boynton does it, but I always enjoy her books. I wish I could pin point what it is about her writing style that I just love. Even though I can't put my finger on exactly why I love these books here are some things in her books I enjoy; The rhyming is always fun, the animal characters make me smile, the books seem to be just the right length for toddlers,and the stories really are just excellent.

This book is so sweet with the almost love story kind of feel between penguin
Michelle Gray
I love this book! I have a copy of it at home! :)

Read this to Rose for the first time 8/21/2015. So many baby smiles!
Mama Bibliosoph
What we love about this book:

-Upbeat, catchy singalong song.
-Rhyming lyrics.
-Lots of repetition of one line: "I want to be your personal penguin."
-Colorful and adorable illustrations of the same two animal friends (a penguin and a hippo) on every page.
-A social theme (friendship).

-You really do have to learn the song because the book reads oddly on its own.
-A few of the pages are somewhat high-contrast (mostly black images on an all-white background), which I've read can cause sensory
It's been a long time since I walked through a bookstore and browsed. The KitKatPandaBatWolf wanted to look at this with me. Ah, Boynton! We still love you, and your charming little (and big) animals, and the cute pajamas. I haven't yet listened to the song recorded by Davy Jones (of the Monkees! squee!), but I will.

Maybe one never outgrows adorable board books?
From this book I learned that I love Boynton Silliness. And that Davy Jones from the Monkees still sings silly songs! Cutest pictures around. And a great book to share with loved ones.

4/17/13 & 4/18/13: Letter P theme and I had to use this! Brought in my own board book, too. I read it first. I think the kids were wondering if they should be smiling or not. "Penguin? Hippo? What?" But they liked the pictures. Then I told them that the book was put to music. Yep--I'd brought in my iPod! I had
I like this book but my daughter doesn't have the same love for it. I don't think it engages her like other Boynton books.
My son loves this book. Picks it out over and over for me to read/sing to him.
Christen Orbanus
Used this book as a reading at my wedding. It's a wonderful story.
Basically, a short book about a penguin explaining his undying (kinda stalkerish, I must say) affection for a hippo.

Throughout the book, the hippo looks totally dumbstruck by all this attention.

If you're coming at it from a different angle, I guess it might be kinda creepy (the scene with the penguin shining a flashlight at the sleeping hippo comes to mind), but as my nieces know this is Not Really Appropriate Behaviour that just, to them, makes it funnier.

Found the song (downloadable... somewhe
Katie Casey
Fun book + accompanying song!
I love this simple story!
We love singing this book.
Why does this boardbook kill me? Well, the penguin makes an endearing case for friendship--he's sincere but has an edge of salesmanship that makes you smile (e.g. "Now there's a lot of other penguins out there...") I think this is a great book to introduce the idea of friendship. In the boardbook genre--it ranks high for me.

Oh, and you can download the original song (Davy Jones of The Monkeys) for free. Although, it's not that catchy.

Barbara Folk
I read this book with my 3 year old son in a bookstore years ago. I also found out about the song that night. About a year and a half later, I spent the evening of Thanksgiving with my daughter and son at the Kennedy Center watching Sandra Boynton and her children act out a variety of her books. The highlight of the evening was Davy Jones singing Personal Penguin.

I love all of Sandra's books, but this and "But Not the Hippopotamus" are my favorites.
I LOVE Sandra Boynton, and when I came across this story I was swept away. It has meaning for someone of any age. Children can enjoy it, and can sing along to it, and adults can relate personally to it. 'I want to be your personally penguin' Who can resit someone who loves you so much that in spite of all of their differences they want to travel with you to the ends of the earth and do things that you enjoy? I know I can't!
Jan 31, 2008 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, babies, toddlers, kids
This is a great book to read to the littlest ones. I've been reading it to my daughter since she was first born, and she loves it. It's become one of the staples to the bedtime routine. It's easily memorized as well, so even you don't have the book with you, you can tell the story over and over. And with all of Boynton's books it seems, the story is almost always sung, which is why my daughter likes it so much.
Brenna Call
Sandra Boynton is a genius and I am always in love with her adorable books. This book is no exception. Your personal penguin is maybe a little too long to be a traditional board book and this story was a little too repetitive to be a great group read-aloud, but it would make a terrific gift to a knew mom or you could even give it to a loved one on their anniversary.
Since having children, I have become a fan of Sandra Boynton. This story in particular is cute. A penguin pleads to be adopted as an elephant's personal penguin. Frankly, this book would do well to introduce to my students of how to write a persuasive argument. The penguin doesn't beg, but rather provides reasons why the elephant should take him as a personal penguin.
What can I say? I'm a sucker for cute, and this is a cute book. I think my favorite part is the illustration. It's wonderfully understated. The penguin and the hippo that the penguin is offering himself up to are both basically expressionless, but it just deepens the humor. Very funny little book. I wonder what the song that it's paired with sounds like.
Apr 01, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Angie
Shelves: children-s, own
This is my least favorite of the Boynton books we own. Nothing in particular I dislike about it, I just like the others better. This one doesn't have the catchy rhythm I so love about her books. It does, however, include a download key so you can hear Davy Jones of the Monkees singing it in its entirety, and that is sort of cool.
I know, it's a board book. But I bought it for Ozzie and have gone through I think 3 copies of it since then. Such a loving book to read to a little person, and all 3 of my kids have loved it. And occasionally I'll recite it (from memory!) to my husband, b/c it makes him smile goofy and I live for that.
Jordan Johnson
I have read and reread this book since I was given it as a gift earlier today...I heart penguins, especially naked ones, and I very much love hippos, because they don't get enough love...If you like penguins and hippos, than you will like this book too...Plus, it's an easy read! ;)
Love this book...especially when we listen to the song that goes with it (recorded by Davey Jones from The Monkees). A very catchy tune. It's the only way to read any of Boynton's books being as they are usually sing-songy or raps anyway. Sandra Boynton is the "board book" genius.
As a father of two young girls I can assure you there is nothing more treasured then snuggling up with my little ones and reading a Sandra Boynton book. In honor of Davy Jones I strongly recommend this book and the mp3 download which is performed by the late Monkees lead singer.
we love Sandra Boynton books and especially this one! There is a song available on line, but we prefer our own tune which is similar to ... actually, I can't remember what the orginal song was because all that comes into my head is ''I want to be your personal penguin..."
Jamie Shew
We love Sandra Boynton. Probably the best books to read out loud to your kids, many of them have sing along qualities. Now our kids have them memorized so the whole family repeats the book. Personal Penguin is sung at the top of our this book!
My 4 year old daughter loves this book.
Reread 10-23-14
Reread 11-28-14
Read over and over and over

I love the sing along on Boynton's website! We read this book and listen to the song so often (too much to keep track).
  • BooBoo
  • Curious George's Are You Curious?
  • That's Not My Snowman
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • My Very First Book of Animal Homes
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Llama Llama Wakey-Wake
  • Tails
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books)

“I want to be your personal penguin.