Start by marking “The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas: A Mystery
Preview

The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas: A Mystery (Good Thief's Guide #3)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Chris Ewan's The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas is the next caper in a series that’s being called “impressive… comic…fresh”(Publishers Weekly--starred review).

Charlie Howard isn’t only a part-time crime writer and part-time thief; he’s also a magician. For his next trick, he’ll relieve Josh Masters, the famous illusionist vying for the affections of Charlie’s agent Victoria,
Published July 5th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published April 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas

Scarlett Barnhill
What an awful book.

It started out okay, nothing revolutionary, but at least attention-grabbing enough for me to keep reading. It then descended into a sludge of purple prose and rambling description (down to the state of the toenails of a maid that opened the door to a house of a minor character).

Then there's the issue of the main character. He's flat and uninteresting, and seems to have zero motivation beyond being a sleaze. He makes a point to comment on the body of almost every woman that ma
Susan
Evans is a good writer, with interesting characters and tight, twisty plots. It seems unfair to give him only a three star rating because he doesn't write the kind of books I like. If you enjoy suspense and a little violence, you'll really love him. Writer and burglar Charlie Howard and his prim literary agent Victoria make a detour to Las Vegas. Victoria doesn't approve of gambling, but she volunteers to work with a smarmy magician at a casino show. This leads the pair into big trouble, and som ...more
Lois
The third adventure with Charlie Howard, a Briton who writes mystery novels about a thief while being a thief himself. Deftly done.

He has talked his literary agent, Victoria, into coming to Las Vegas for a vacation after the adventures chronicled in the the previous book. In the land of gambling and cheating, they soon need a way to extricate themselves from plot twists, diversion, and sleight of hand. In the midst of this, we learn more about Victoria's backstory--why she's been surprisingly c
Chelsea
This book started off with a bang. It seemed so promising, and went downhill from there. Wish I would have given up on this mystery..but I did hang on till the last page.
Joseph OToole
Starts REALLY strong, bur fails at the moment of ah-HA! that's necessary in a mystery, rendering the conclusion sort of muddled. Still a decent read.
Wendy Mclaren
I'm always wary of first-person POV books. This one was on the verge of changing my mind until about 3/4ths through, the main character introduced himself to someone else and I was lost, having completely forgotten his name was Charlie. Who's Charlie? Oh, right. The main character.

There were a few reality vs fiction disconnects having to do with casinos, but it's possible that because I'm a huge Vegas aficionado, I noticed more than others would.

Overall, an entertaining tale. I picked this one
Wing Ho
Same story, differnt city!

I like the Good Thief books, they are junk food. They are good palate cleaners for me after I've read too much SF and Fantasy. However, after reading this 3rd book in the series, I've come to accept a couple of things about Ewan's writing. He's great on characters and dialog, story not so much:

World: Vegas baby! Nothing much else need be said. If you've been there then you will see that Ewan has the tone and feel of the world spot on. Both the glamour and the filth. I w
Bethany
Oh dear. Another one bites the dust.

I LOVE the narrator. He's fantastic, of course. Even when he's trying to sound like an American. Haha, it totally and completely fills my need to hear an English person attempt (and almost pull off) an American accent. It makes me think we must all sound like fools when we try it the other way round.

But he's wonderful, really.
The book was quite enjoyable. I am, however, beginning to get a little bit ahead of his twisty-twisty bit at the ends. The books are cer
Trish
This is the second book about Las Vegas I’ve read in a short cycle. Don’t know the significance of that—I don’t really enjoy gambling. But this book was a bit of a gamble since I'd never heard about the author. This is apparently the third in a series and Ewan succeeded admirably, a tongue-in-cheek mystery that features a failed? failing? part-time mystery writer, Charlie, who manages to supplement his income by being a petty thief as well. But he has a good heart: Charlie doesn’t like to steal ...more
LIVE.LOVE.READ
Aufmerksam wurde ich auf dieses Buch, als ich nach Büchern mit Las Vegas als Handlungsort gesucht habe. Las Vegas ist eine meiner absoluten Lieblingsstädte und wenn ich schon nicht dort sein kann, wollte ich der Stadt wenigstens literarisch begegnen. "Vendetta in Las Vegas" ist der dritte Teil einer Reihe um Charlie Howard. Entgegen meiner Angewohnheit Reihen der Reihenfolge nach zu lesen habe ich es gewagt und habe die Reihe mittendrin angefangen. Dies stellt auch absolut kein Problem dar, denn ...more
LIVE.LOVE.READ
Paul Cookson
what started out as a quite amusing read sadly failed to live up to it's promise. I was looking for an easy, funny read after reading a number or military history books. Fair play...this is easy to read and has some good comic moments. sadly it loses its way and tries to take itself too serious in the middle and then unnecessarily overcomplicated the ending. 2/10 is overly harsh a score while 3/10 is slightly generous
Bob
I actually started reading this without knowing that it was the third book in a series of "Good Thief" books. It didn't matter, as the first-person main character storyline is self-contained and pretty enjoyable. There's nothing otherworldly about this story, but it's entertaining, and the brief fourth-wall breaking unreliable narrator aspect of this series is really a guilty pleasure.
Jose Batista
For teenagers (maybe)...
Imbecile and totally implausible plot, flat stereotyped characters, pretentious first voice style. Maybe acceptable for UK tabloid readers, non discerning teenagers and as a basis for a B movie script. Good narration talent wasted on this but one has to live.
Chi Dubinski
Charlie Howard, the mystery writer and thief, visits Vegas in the third book in Chris Ewan's Guide Thief Guide series. With his literary agent Victoria, Charlie visits the Fifty-Fifty casino, where he picks the pocket of magician Josh Masters, the hotel's headline act. And when Charlie later breaks into Masters' hotel room, he discovers a body in the bathtub, and that the magician's assistant is missing. Immediately putting two and two together, Charlie figures the magician is involved in someth ...more
Sue
I enjoyed the beginning of this one, but the ending was just too unbelievable. Things just kept getting more and more muddied, til when we finally got to who done it, I didn't believe it and I didn't care anymore.
Ice
Carmen
This time he's in Vegas. Who would have ever thought that trying to rob someone could lead to threats of murder by a casino owner, kidnapping, bodily violence, gambling, and a death?
Nicki
I read this after reading the first two books in the series which I thoroughly enjoyed. Normally I have a break between authors, but as I was enjoying the series I thought I'd carry on. It really didn't work this time and I just didn't like this one at all. I didn't like the story which might be because I was on holiday myself, and the thought of burglars really changed my perspective on Charlie Howard in this book. I found all the breaking in details monotonous in stead of interesting. I got ab ...more
Kristina
Totally ridiculously unbelievable... But I liked it much better than 'Paris.' Overthetop like James Bond, but funny characters. Easy listening.
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
The narrator was simply amazing! The story started off really good but didn't finish as well. The narrator made me stay until the end though!
Pat Lampe
I like the good thief series. Simon Vance is a great narrator. I didn't like this as well as his two previous books but it was still fun to listen to and as always, the reader/listener learns something new.
Jay
Tl;dr: highly polished turd.

Neat little package at the end but making the character a writer allows for overly, deliberate, (and frustratingly) clever sequences. Plot holes (like victoria forgetting ricks being present at the time of the ultimatum), and poor character evolution sways the rating. While being an interesting read, I did not feel sucked into believeing Charlie Howard was a real person, instead he seemed a bumbling caricature, who possessed as much skill as anyone armed with a set of
Melissa Abbott
Another great read by Chris Ewan set in Las Vegas! Enjoyed!
Lauren
A caper novel with lots of good visuals.
Christian Devries
Not the best in this series. Just average.
Amy Cockram

This is the 3rd book in Chris Ewan's Good Thief series.

After having had to leave Amsterdam and Paris due to his nefarious exploits, Charlie Howard visits Las Vegas with his agent, Victoria for a vacation. Of course, things don't go as planned. A magician chats up Victoria at the tables, Charlie gets jealous and steals his wallet, and all hell lets loose. We also learn a little bit more about Victoria.

This is a strong entry in a series which is getting better as the relationship between Charlie a
Stephen Henninger
This is a fun read. Ewan uses a lot of the mystery cliches in a fun way, poking fun at the genre. I was struck by how the main character breaks the fourth wall, I had never seen it done that way before. While not the most interesting reading, the style of the book/tale is worth a try.
Teri
audio book. Once more, Charlie finds himself a possible suspect, not for a crime he did commit, but for one he didn't. This time, his agent, Victoria, has reluctantly accompanied him to Las Vegas. A little burglary job turns sinister when he thinks he sees a body floating in a bathtub; and then a magician disappears. To extricate themselves, Charlie and Victoria either need to come up with a lot of money, or the missing magician. Fast-paced and engaging.
Polly Sinclair
I loved the first one in the series and would continue to read these but I don't think this is as good. But I often struggle to read books about places I've not been to so this might play a part in it. I'm a Jonathan Creek fan and these definitely appeal to me and I like the way they get you on the side of a bad guy. Not sure how much I like the side kick element now, so hope she gets relegated back to phone support in the next one!
  • The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • Herbie's Game
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • Butterfly's Shadow
  • Con Ed
  • The Man with the Baltic Stare (Inspector O, #4)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • 2666, Part 3: The Part About Fate
  • The Risk of Infidelity Index: Vincent Calvino, an American P.I. in Bangkok
  • Cold Storage, Alaska
  • Lady Thief
  • The Buck Stops Here (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #5)
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • A Dead Man's Tale
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
Born in Taunton in 1976, Chris Ewan now lives on the Isle of Man with his wife Jo and their labrador Maisie.

Chris’ debut novel, THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM, won the Long Barn Books First Novel Competition and is published in paperback by Simon and Schuster. THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO PARIS, is due to be published in the UK in February 2009 and in the US in November 2008.

More about Chris Ewan...

Good Thief's Guide (5 books)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin (Good Thief's Guide, #5)
Safe House The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1) The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2) The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4) The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin (Good Thief's Guide, #5)