Start by marking “Purple Little Bird” as Want to Read:
Purple Little Bird

Purple Little Bird

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Purple Little Bird lives in a very purple world:

He has a purple little house and a purple little garden.

But somehow, it's just not quite perfect.

Published May 3rd 2011 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Purple Little Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purple Little Bird

Tc
Jul 10, 2014 Tc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: animals
This is a great little book that children really enjoy. This book goes over different animals, colors, and environments. This book is perfect for science lessons on habitats. It would be great to have children talk about their own homes/habitat/environment and then have them draw pictures of their own homes and write a few sentences describing their home and why it is a good "habitat".
Christy
Who would have thought purple could be such an interesting and perfect color. Unfortunately, purple little bird becomes restless with it and sets off to explore the world to find something more perfect than his purple life. What he finds are many things along the way but they just do not seem right. This is a cute book about colors and even climates while finding that perfect fit. There are many animals in their habitats that little bird meets along the way. The sweet and adorable pictures are n ...more
Jennifer Kaap
I started out liking it... and I could still see myself using it for a toddler storytime on colors... I just didn't like the ending. Purple Little Bird thinks that something is not quite right about his purple house, so he goes in search of the perfect home. Of course, he ends up back at his house... only he figures out what is not quite right: his house is TOO PURPLE! The last spread shows the bird and new friends painting the house different colors. Well, in MY opinion, there is no such thing ...more
Vicki
This sweet book fit perfectly into the color storytime I just did at the library. Loved the illustrations clear and crisp.
Nanci Booher
I enjoyed the illustrations a lot and I think that this would be fun at story time in doing some kind of color theme. I also think that kids at school will enjoy this story.
Janet
While this story deals with colors, the flow of the text just wasn't what I liked.
Jul 21, 2014 Sarah added it
Stories & Songs: Houses and Homes
Ariel Cummins
Purple little bird just can't get his house to feel right, no matter how hard he tries. He makes a Goldilocks-type trip, and meets many friends, but he can't find a place that is just right. His new friends help him realize that his old home was just right -- it just needed some more colors! Nothing super-amazing about the plot here, but it's pretty well done, and there are lots of colors!

Crayon-style artwork and bright colors make this book feel fun and fresh.

This story would work for a color-t
Katie Miller
Elodie loves this!
Robin
Purple Little Bird has a close to perfect purple house . . . but something's not quite right. So he sets out to find the perfect place. He encounters various animals of various colors along the way, and while each has something special, none is quite suited for Purple Little Bird. Finally, the possums return him to his own house, and together change it into various colors so that it becomes perfect. A perfect preschool book (3 1/2 stars).
J.F.
Greg Foley's simple and sweet illustrations coupled with prose that is easy for children to relate to makes for a happy little world for Purple Little Bird. This quest for the perfect place will teach young readers about color, weather, and other sensory words. The story also speaks to the importance of friendship and diversity. Another excellent story from this award winning author!

Aleece
This is a very cute book about a bird who goes out in the world to discover what his house is missing. I love all of the different places that Purple Little Bird travels to and all of the other animals and colors he sees. He eventually realizes what his house is missing... other colors. This was a good introduction to colors and is a short story that is great for young children.
Kim
Nov 15, 2011 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: colors, 2011
Believe it or not, it's hard to find a "good" storytime book about colors. It's shocking, because doesn't it seem that every book in the world for kids is about colors and numbers?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they're good, or anything beyond "Apples are Red."

This one has nice repetition, nice colors, and resolves in a simple, satisfying way.
Alex Konieczny
Great art, though nothing to inspire you. Good story with an essential message of going out in the world and incorporating the things you learn into your life to make it richer. Not a great ELL book, but the repetition in here is good for readers with a decent vocabulary but still in the picture book stage.
Dolly
Jul 01, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
There's no place like home. And if that's not quite right either, a coat of paint can't hurt.
That pretty much sums up this little story about a very dissatisfied bird. The story was okay, the illustrations were adorable and the lesson in colors and climates will entertain toddlers. Otherwise, meh.
Megan
Feb 28, 2012 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler-kindergarten
Purple Little Bird loves everything purple, but feels like something isn't right. He goes in search of a better place to live. Brown Bear's cave is too dark; Gray Goat's cliff is too windy. Finally after visiting several different places, Purple Little Bird knows just what will make his home perfect...
carissa
"Purple Little Bird lives in a very purple world:

He has a purple little house and a purple little garden.

But somehow, it's just not quite perfect.

So Purple Little Bird sets off to find the perfect place for him—and discovers it in a most unexpected way." - product description

Little Bird loves purple, so everything in his house is purple. But no matter how hard he tries, his home doesn't quite feel perfect. He heads off on a quest to find the perfect home and makes some new friends and a surprising discovery about colors.

Thick black line and washes of watercolor.
Mary
I dislike purple, so I hesitated to check this out today. I didn't want to stare at 20 pages of purple! But! The sweet illustrations deserve a look, and my daughter loved the simple story with the color associations. It's one that she can "read" through by herself too.
Rachel
This was a very cute and colorful book about Purple Little Bird (aka Pierre) who thinks there is something missing from his house, so he travels all over to find that something special. My son liked the illustrations. Highly recommended for ages 1-5, 5 stars.
Lori
I love this illustrator and how he can create such expression with so few strokes. My seven year old also really enjoyed the book and asked to read it again as soon as he had finished it. He wasn't convinced, however, that there was too much purple.
Shelli
Purple little bird lives in a purple world. (Kind of like that song Blue only purple :) He realizes something is missing and searches many other landscapes and realizes that maybe colorful changes can be make to make his own little space even better.
Tricia
Purple Little Bird loves everything purple yet can't get his house to feel quite right. On his quest for the perfect place, he meets many animals in many places, none of which feel right either. When the friends lend a hand, he finds the perfect place!
Kristina Lareau
I love purple.

So this book is a tragedy...

But really, it is a fun exploration of colors and although the illustrations seem to be colored digitally, they are dynamically done so that the illustrations don't feel like an animated show.
Mrs. Nelson's
I am a huge Greg Foley fan - his Bear books slay me with their cuteness. His new book, about a little bird who loves all things purple, is so adorable it should be illegal!
--Review by Lauren
Daniel
I love the art, and the lesson of "the grass is always greener." It's got some of the Three Bears action with finding the right fit, too, which is often where one starts out.
Mrs. Lynch
I thought the simple pictures were adorable and the story about colors was a good one. I liked the image of the multi-colored world on the last page.
Aspasia
I'm a purple lover myself, so I enjoyed reading this book about a purple lille bird that lives in a purple little house....
Tam
My 4-year-old liked this cute story about a bird who wasn't happy with his own house so he went out to find something better.
Beverly
Purple is my favorite color, so of couse I loved purple little bird! But he did discover other colors in the world.
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Peck, Peck, Peck
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • RRRalph
  • Squish Rabbit
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • That's How!
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • I'm a Shark
  • Red Wagon
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Chloe
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Lots of Dots
  • except if
Award-winning author-illustrator Greg Foley grew up in Austin, Texas, and attended the Rhode Island School of Design. He now designs and creative-directs Visionaire, V Magazine, VMAN, VFiles and lives in Greenwich Village, New York.

For more information visit the Greg Foley author page on Facebook!
More about Greg E. Foley...
Thank You Bear Don't Worry Bear Willoughby & the Lion Good Luck Bear Make a Wish Bear