Start by marking “Polka Dot Penguin Pottery” as Want to Read:
Polka Dot Penguin Pottery

Polka Dot Penguin Pottery

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Aspen Colorado Kim Chee Lee likes writing stories about monkeys, elephants, and aliens, but these days writing hasn't been much fun. It's like her characters are on vacation. Her pages are blank and she's blocked. Luckily, her grandparents know that a trip to the local paint-your-own-pottery studio is exactly what she needs to feel creative again. Lenore Look's charming st ...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Polka Dot Penguin Pottery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polka Dot Penguin Pottery

Jill
The author/illustrator team that produced Uncle Peter’s Amazing Chinese Wedding is back again with a charming book that opens sideways (fun in and of itself!) about a little girl who calls herself Aspen Colorado Kim Chee Lee. This, she tells us, is her “nom de plume” - her writing name. She is an author:

"I write stories about monkeys and elephants, aliens and robots, and sometimes, about me.”

But lately it hasn’t been going well:

"All my pages are blank, blank, blank. My gunggung and pohpoh call i
GalindoLibrarian
Delightful illustrations and great story about writer's block, the writing process, identifying as an author and waiting for the spark of creativity to arrive, ultimately starting with mistakes and creating from there.
Linda
This book is unusual in one way because it’s created sideways; the bind is at the top of the book and one reads it top to bottom. The pages are filled with interesting little characters along with drawings of the amazing little girl, Aspen Colorado Kim Chee Lee. Actually that’s her writing name and she is an author! Unfortunately she has writer’s block and the different things that happen to help her ‘unblock’ fill the story with brightness and silliness, but it all ends up just fine. This woul ...more
Jenny Christen
This book discusses a little girl's writing, art, being motivated to do something, and creativeness. She later realizes that writing is like painting pottery. Not only is the book a fun one to read, but the style of the book and how to read it is very unique.

This book would be good for first or second graders because it discusses having the motivation to write and that it's okay if you can't think of what to write right away. I would use this book during a writing/reading lesson and have the ki
Read  Ribbet
Lenore Look of Alvin Ho fame takes on a picture book format in Polka Dot Penguin Pottery. It' s a wonderful book about the creative process. It starts out as a story about the writing process until writer's block sets in and then it moves to the pottery shop where creative processes stall again. Ultimately, the work at the pottery shop provides a way to unblock the writing process. It's a great text to help kids talk about writing process, what to do when you run out of ideas, where ideas come f ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Aspen Colorado Kim Chee Lee (nom de plume) is struggling with writer's block. Her grandparents take her to a pottery painting shop and she feels like she now has "pottery block". A lesson in learning how to make mistakes and turn it into something amazing teaches this little girl to unblock the blocks in her life.
Yelena
A sweet story about dealing with writer's (and artist's) block and using mistakes for inspiration. Brings to mind Reynolds's "The Dot" and Rinder's "A Big Mistake." I think it would've liked it better if it was more succinct and did not have the weird spine-on-top format.
The Styling Librarian
Polka Dot Penguin Pottery by Lenore Look, illustrated by Yumi Heo – Beautiful story with a little girl fighting writers block and then getting inspired by an experience with art creation. Really enjoyed Lenore Look’s most recent picture book!
Melissa
I really enjoyed this story, such truth about the creative process and shared in an accessible way for young artists. I thought the sideways binding was a nice touch--you have to let yourself try new things when you're making stuff, don't you?
Lil Jen
An aspirting write gets stuck for words. As she disovers the joy of painting with the help of friends and family the stories come back to her. Great story for creatvitiy and exploring new hobbies.
Amy
This book is about an aspiring author who finds that she has writer's block. And also potter's block. It takes a little while but she discovers how to regain her creativity.

grades 1-2
Maggie
Great book for any young writer with writer's block or anxiety about being creative. My favorite line: You can only make a masterpiece if you are willing to make a mess. --Maggie
Shelli
Story of a young author who has a serious case of writers block. Her grandparents try to help her find another creative outlet to be inspired with.
Edward Sullivan
A charming, colorful celebration of creativity.
Caitlin Sempowich
Adorable! Great illustrations.
PWRL
Jul 05, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
soul lafoi
soul lafoi marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I first began making picture books in kindergarten because my other career option at the time was stealing. But a life of crime requires practice and patience, neither of which I had, so I settled into industry, making what I coveted but what my parents could not afford to buy: beautiful books like the ones my teacher read to us in school.

Publishing was no problem in those days, not like it is no
More about Lenore Look...
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1) Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2) Ruby Lu, Brave and True Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4) Alvin Ho: Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes (Alvin Ho, #3)