Start by marking “Edwin Speaks Up” as Want to Read:
Edwin Speaks Up

Edwin Speaks Up

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Here's a book that will get the whole family laughing. When a large family of ferrets and their precocious baby take a chaotic trip to the supermarket, mom can't keep track of the groceries, the shopping cart . . . or even the kids! Baby Edwin tries to help, but everyone thinks he's just babbling. Little do they know that he really has all the answers.

Full of fun-to-say no
Published June 14th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Edwin Speaks Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edwin Speaks Up

Talayeh
i love this book a lot so funny
Liz Hammet
Edwin Speaks Up would be a great read aloud for young children ages 3 through 6. The baby of the family, Edwin, gibbers a lot throughout the story. There is a lot of dialogue between the family members. The mom talks about what she needs to do and the older children are fighting back and forth in the grocery store, the main setting of the story. Edwin, the baby, is frustrated because he can't make out real words and knows that the mom needs sugar at the store but forgets it. He is trying to comm ...more
babyhippoface
Problems I had with this book:

1] That's a ferret?? If you had given me 30 guesses, I would never have come up with "ferret". The mother looks weasley, but the round-headed kids all look like vampire lemurs or something.

2] This is one supremely distracted mother and 4 kiddos who are in serious need of some spankings. I was so annoyed by the scatterbrained mother allowing her children to do basically whatever they felt like doing in the grocery store that I couldn't enjoy the book.

3] Several of
Treasure
Picture book by the author of Waking Up Wendell and the illustrator of the Ivy and Bean series, this book follows a family of ferrets as the frazzled Mrs. Finnemore attempts to go to the grocery store. The kids make quite a ruckus and there is disaster after disaster, but Baby Edwin always saves the day. Baby Edwin babbles while the other kids vie for mom’s attention, but readers will quickly realize that Edwin’s babbles are full of real words and he is trying to tell his mom something! Kids wil ...more
Edwin, the littlest ferret in the family, speaks (mostly) in nonsense words. When his family takes a trip to the grocery story, Edwin does his best to make sure they take care of all of their shopping needs.

Recommended for ages 4 - 6, this book is a bit silly. Be aware that Edwin's nonsense talk includes some bathroom humor (poop, weewee). It sort of reminded me of Mo Willem's Trixie and her Aggle Flaggle Klabble. I wouldn't do this story as a a whole lesson but it might be a nice follow up to
Behemoth
I like the way this one lets the young reader relish information that the adult in the story fails to grasp - i.e. that Edwin is trying to tell her things all the time.
Relyn
Jul 12, 2012 Relyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
Recommended to Relyn by: Sophie Blackall
I got this book because I love the work of the illustrator, Sophie Blackall. However, I didn't enjoy it. The story line just didn't grab me. I do think, though, that young children would really enjoy it for read aloud. The situations (grocery shopping, etc.) are familiar and I think they would love hearing a parent do Edwin talking. I'm not sure they would catch the humor on their own, though. The joke is that Edwin is talking but his mother is too distracted to understand him and thinks he's on ...more
Melissa
OK, I will it admit that it took me an EMBARRASSINGLY long time to figure out that Edwin was actually saying real words amongst his gibberish and that further, the real words were actually correct answers to his mother's questions. For kids who are quicker than I am this might be fun, and they might also have fun remarking on the wild behavior of the children and the cluelessness of the mother, but this just wasn't my book.
Angela
I'm a huge fan of Sophie Blackhall's illustrations and the story is fun, but lacks umph. Maybe kids who feel misunderstood will relate to Edwin's attempts to convey what the busy mother in this book misses, but the rest of us feel it's a little flat. Try it as a read-aloud and see if the dialog goes over, or share it with a confident picture book reader. In any case, let the little ones decide on this one...
Tam
My boys (ages 4 & 8) really liked this book and laughed every time Edwin "talked". You do have to read it in a quirky voice to get the full effect. My boys also thought it was funny how the kids fought, maybe because they could relate to it!

An example of Edwin's language, "Gloo poop SHOE noogie froo KEY" means mom's car keys are in a shoe on the hall table
Stephanie Sapp
I love this book! As a mother of two young children, I dread trips to the grocery store. I can totally relate to the mother's scatter-brain though I have never had all of her extreme issues. I wasn't sure what type of animals they were but it didn't matter for the story line. This is a great read-aloud.
Lori
This cracked me up because my one year old grandson communicates much the same way as Edwin. The harried mother and her five children take a chaotic trip to the store. Readers who don't go too fast will realize that Edwin, who seems to babble nonsense, actually has all the answers.
Sari
I picked up this book because I love Sophie Blackall's illustrations. It's a cute story about baby Edwin, who tries to tell his family what's going on but no one will listen because, well, he's just a baby. Very cute pictures and the story moves along well. My 4 year old enjoys this too.
Angie
Hmmm. I am not sure what to say about this book.

The idea is funny. Poor little misunderstood baby who if people who just LISTEN to him? He knows what's going on!

But ... all the bickering between the other siblings was more than a little annoying. I don't love this one.
Nicole
I like where the author was going with this - the little baby in the family trying to communicate, and having readers try to understand the baby speak in the same way that its family members needed to - but I just thought the story itself was so-so.

Cute artwork though...
Beth
Love the bright retro patterns mixed-into clothes and objects. I love also the animal cast - strange, odd and interesting. But does the quietness of Blackall's illustrations fit the scatter-brained mother and brood? Not sure...will have to test it on my boys.
Bethe
Another cute book for read aloud, give it a practice read first to get Edwin's conversation down. Attentive readers will notice Edwin's capitalized words do make sense. Love Sophie Blackall's illustrations, I'm a huge fan of her book "Wombat Walkabout".
Stormye Hendrix
This book was a little confusing, as so much of the narrative depends on the pictures. Also, I'm doubtful that children will get the point--that Edwin is essentially talking throughout the book, although it's embedded in goo-goo gagas. Meh.
Holly Thompson
Oh for crying out loud. I totally didn't even get that the baby was answering all of the questions from the beginning. I got the sugar part, but not all of them before it. I wonder if my students would catch that faster?
Baby Edwin accompanies Mother on her errands, babbling all the way. Even though mother and siblings don't realize it, we can hear that he makes perfect sense! DO practice Edwin's lines before reading aloud for maximum effect.
Tracy Morton
A cute story about a little guy named Edwin who always knows what's going on but doesn't have the words to tell anyone. Kids will enjoy trying to figure out what Edwin is trying to say in his baby talk.
Jocelin
Kind of boring; not really interesting story. The image on the cover is supposed to be a baby ferret, but he almost looks like a vampiric panda. Story doesn't really go anywhere and just stays there.
Emily Grossenbacher Pote
Stevens story of the family trip to the grocery store is comical, but paired with Blackall's illustrations of the ferret family it becomes a story that will captivate children and parents alike.
The Library Lady
Ogga wooga HATE wooog FERRETS.

Booda linta depple NOT yippa yappa FUNNY!

Winner of the Dorothy "Constant Weader Fwoed Up" Parker award for this month. Perhaps for this year.

Feh........
Aimee Owen
I'm sure my not-quite-talking toddler could relate to poor Edwin. The baby of this loud family keeps trying to help his busy mom remember everything, but she just won't listen!
Margie
Oh, those hectic hilarious days of our lives...if only we would listen as Edwin Speaks Up.
Heather Richard
Very cute - we love the idea that a baby is actually speaking real words even if no one understands them. A favorite from this week's library bag!
Amy
Nice take on the youngest child having the most sense. Kids will get a kick out of the crazy baby babble that actually makes sense.
Vrena
Megan
Apr 17, 2012 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool-1st grade
As the youngest child in a family of 5, Edwin often gets ignored, but if you really listen to what he is saying, he actually makes sense!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Betty Bunny Loves Chocolate Cake
  • Neville
  • My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius
  • Little Chicken's Big Day
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson