Start by marking “Censoring Science: Inside the Political Attack on Dr. James Hansen and the Truth of Global Warming” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Dr. James Hansen is recognized the world's foremost climatologist and the scientist whose 1988 expert testimony helped focus media attention on global warming; but he's not a happy camper. In the recent years, the influential longtime director of NASA's Goddard Institute has become a vocal critic of Bush and Clinton administration policies on climate change, which Dr. Hans ...more
Published December 27th 2007 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about Censoring Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Censoring Science

Elliott Bignell
Apr 12, 2015 Elliott Bignell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where there is a wizard, there are demons.

I took a while to stop steaming at the ears after reading this tale of dishonesty, denial and Stalinist-style airbrushing of an inconvenient truth. It is convenient that I did, in fact, because the timing could hardly be more condign. Not to take satisfaction in what might turn into serious suffering, but the spike in food prices now coming down the supply chain may well represent the moment when the global-warming rubber finally hits the road. History w
Elevate Difference
A valid scientific theory is a conclusion supported by data. An answer must be viewed through the prism of skepticism, the data must be questioned, and proof must be spelled out. Most importantly, all possibilities must be considered. In his book, Censoring Science: Inside the Political Attack on Dr. James Hansen and the Truth of Global Warming, Mark Bowen presents quite a conclusion, but never takes the time to cite his sources. As a result, his book is not as compelling as it could be.

Bowen ar
Ryan
Nov 08, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow." The investigative reporting collected in this book creates a more disturbing picture of government than I would have ever imagined (outside of governments run by dictators). When I finished the book I checked out the author's website where he explains at his blog (http://goo.gl/LVG7f)...

"I started this blog, just as my second book, Censoring Science, was being released, a few years ago. That was a difficult time. The writing of that book was an unpleasant experience, an
Kitty
Jul 28, 2008 Kitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
If we don’t do something now to stop the ever increasing amounts of CO2 going into (and staying for hundreds of years) the atmosphere, then pretty much nothing else we do now will matter in a hundred years. We will be the generation of people who still had a chance to make a difference but were too busy wrangling about money – yes, it boils down to money – that we just couldn’t rise to what the occasion demanded of us.

This is the message of [I]Censoring Science[/I], the message Jim Hansen wants
Gail
Dec 02, 2008 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thorough discussion of how the Bush administration (through careful placement of hired ideologues into public relations departments of various agencies) censored and interfered with the publication of the government scientists' analysis of global warming. An excellent profile of Jim Hansen, the government scientist most clearly in the forefront of the careful development of the predictive climate forecasting models (and one of the most respected scientists in the world). For me, in addition to ...more
Matt reed
I enjoyed this book as it helped me become aware of the challenges scientists - funded by government - must meet when their discoveries/research run counter to that of a current administrations policy. However, what I felt this book lacked was more of an explanation the science regarding global warming from Hansen's research. This was kept minimal to instead focus on the ongoing cover up, which I felt the book turned into a soap opera. Do I really care what happened to these antagonists and the ...more
Kristina
Mar 06, 2008 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmentalists, government conspiracy obsessives
Recommended to Kristina by: NPR interview
This is an excellently researched book, chock full of citations of many instances of censorship of Climate Science by the government. For someone interested in government and global warming, it is worth reading, but it is not an easy read. In the 306 pages, there are a huge number of people and agencies that Bowen implicates. As someone who is not directly involved in these government agencies, it is very hard to follow. Also, though I feel that Bowen is consistently correct with his detailed hi ...more
Michelle
Aug 18, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fascinating - and horrifying - look at the way the bush administration played politics with the science of global warming. that a goverment would try, in america, to censor and intimidate scientists for political gain is appalling - that they nearly succeeded is terrifying. bowen also does a great job of explaining the science. it becomes clear to the reader that the warming of the climate has been a known problem for decades - making the fact that we're still doing virtually nothing to stop i ...more
Amy
Dec 08, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science nerds, people into investigative journalism
This book is a real eye-opener. It's unfortunately not very well organized, at least as far as I could follow, but the interviews, science, and actual writing are all superb. Bowen just doesn't exactly follow the order of events, so I'm left rather confused as to what happened when. Unfortunately it leaves you with very little hope...but I'm glad I read it at the end of this administration. Here's to hoping something gets done, and that it's not too late!
Tschera
Mar 01, 2009 Tschera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, politics
This book was "horribly" interesting. The uncomfortable feeling I was left with was due to the ease that in such a short amount of time the long-time culture of disseminating scientific research results from the Goddard Space Center and NASA could be changed through fear and without documented policies and procedures. Dr. Hansen's preeminent stature in his field and his continuance in sharing his own research provided courageous and invaluable leadership.
Erin
Mar 26, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: Library e-mail
A little difficult to following all the names, and all of a sudden realized I'd jumped time periods - but incredibly interesting and FRUSTRATING about how the current administration has censored science. And right after finishing, I toured NASA and was reminded how much the emphasis was on SPACE rather than necessarily our local environment. Though individuals who met with us certainly talked about it when they could - and road bikes everywhere.
Nancy
Jun 23, 2008 Nancy marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
This is a situation where the interview with the author on NPR was quite interesting but the full book didn't hold my attention. I guess I felt I already knew enough about the issue. This book highlights a VERY serious problem with the Bush administration. The title sums it up pretty well. This book covers an issue which needs to be publicised. Since I only read about a quarter of the book, it wasn't fair to rate it.

Weavre
Jul 15, 2008 Weavre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Weavre by: Elaine Schall--or at least she bought it and put it on the shelf
Awesome, well-documented, and informative book. Michelle and I both were glad to read it. I can't quite say either of us "enjoyed" it, as I don't think anyone "enjoys" seeing documentation of how people in power have held on to that power at the expense of the public good ... but the book is excellent.
Alex
Jun 24, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really interesting. It discusses how political appointees were moved into our major climate science organizations and began editing press releases to vague out what's really going on in our climate and planet and how top scientist Jim Hansen responded. I strongly recommend you reading it.
Michael
Apr 05, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer on Dr. James Hansen and the war over climate science during the last few decades. The author leaves a little to be desired, but style is not the point of this book. He is clear, at least, if a little informal and (sometimes) petty. Still, it is definitely recommended.
Elizabeth
Jun 23, 2008 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
As mentioned by Dr. James Hansen himself (director of the Goddard Institute of Space Studies of NASA) on "The Diane Rehm Show" on WAMU.
Ninjabookman
Apr 28, 2014 Ninjabookman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really is a waste of time. The subject of the book covers Jim Hansen's quest to bring Global warming to light. While it has great intentions, the book fails to meet the mark. You can get a better summary on Wikipedia.
Edward Sullivan
The appalling anti-intellectualism of the George W. Bush administration.
Chilling.
Andy Arthur
Jan 10, 2010 Andy Arthur is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far an awesome book.
Jessica Herdina
Jessica Herdina marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Frederick S.
Frederick S. rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Scott Miller
Scott Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Chelsea L. Spaulding
Chelsea L. Spaulding marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Charlie Sawyer
Charlie Sawyer marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Diane Thacher
Diane Thacher rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mark Bowen is an American science writer. He received a Ph.D. in physics from M.I.T..

He is a rock-climber, and a mountain-climber who summited on Mount Kilimanjaro.

More about Mark Bowen...