Start by marking “Hogg, Hogg, & Hog” as Want to Read:
Hogg, Hogg, & Hog

Hogg, Hogg, & Hog

2.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Hogg Hogg and Hog have everyone in the Big City OINKING! These three city pigs are the trendsetters of the city--but what will happen when they run out of fashionable ideas?
Published March 22nd 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hogg, Hogg, & Hog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hogg, Hogg, & Hog

Angie crosby
Sep 19, 2011 Angie crosby rated it did not like it
My son hated this. He closed the book and put it in the go back pile.
Melinda
Palatini, M. (2011). Hogg, Hogg & Hog. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Picture Book

This book is about a trio of hogs who are big, successful businessmen -”Yes, Hogg, Hogg and Hog were the most famous, fabulous, successful Big Pigs to ever leave the farm and make it in the big city.” Their biggest idea yet is to get everyone in the city “oinking,” though people eventually tire of that and look to the hogs for the next big idea. They think back to their time on the farm a
Natalie
Mar 31, 2011 Natalie rated it did not like it
Completely irrelevant to children.
Barbara
Jun 01, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Three enormous pigs have become the talk of the town with everyone oinking and folowing their every move. But like anything that catches people's fancy, this trend fades too, Hog returns to his fond memories of life on the farm, relying on the sounds of the sheep, the duck, and the frog. The three of them are not impressed by his theft of their sounds and head to the city to get their part of lucre and attention being heaped on the pigs. While this picture book is amusing, it seems more suited t ...more
Dick Josephson
Mar 19, 2011 Dick Josephson rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Hogg, Hogg & Hog is a modern fable about right and wrong played out against the backdrop of "The Big City". When these 3 porcine media titans discover the Big Idea, "Oinking", that made them a big success isn't big anymore they face a crisis... and make the wrong choice. How they discover that honesty is the best policy, and rise to the top again... with a little help from their friends...makes for a really fun read.

Palatini's digital illustrations are on-point with a sophisticated palette
babyhippoface
Sadly, I didn't even like this book by the author of some fantastic children's book (Piggie Pie, thank you very much). I could barely even figure out the plot. Was OINK a product? A fashion trend? A catchphrase? Well, whatever it was, it used to be the hottest thing on teh market, then suddenly it's old hat and nobody cares about it anymore. (Maybe OINK was Vanilla Ice? Probably not.)

A couple of pages in I stopped and thought to myself, Who is the illustrator? I don't like the look of this at al
Regina
Dec 30, 2013 Regina rated it it was ok
Funny, but not very child-friendly.

Hogg, Hogg, and Hogg are three business pigs living in the big city. They've made a name for themselves in society by penning the famous catchphrase "Oink". Everyone is crazy over it. All the latest fashions feature it, and everyone who is anyone is saying it. But as Heidi Klum has taught us, in fashion one day you're in, and the next day you're out. Very soon, the Hogg's are not the coolest thing in the city anymore, and they are stumped on what their newest l
Reader
Jan 23, 2011 Reader rated it it was ok
Not Palatini's strongest work. In her first written and illustrated title we hear the story of three big city pigs. They've just cornered the market with their clever new phrase, "Oink". Now everyone in the big city is oinking just like them and they're instant superstars. Unfortunately like all fads, this one passes and the pigs much come up with new slogans or face the fact that they're just not hip anymore. The entire book reads like an in-joke amongst adults, and indeed stretches too far in ...more
Sarah Shufelt
Perhaps a metaphor for celebrity and city life gone wrong, Hogg, Hogg, & Hog fails to engage children. The book follows three “hotshot” pigs that seem to run the city. When things change and their celebrity status fades, new animals are brought in from the farm. The graphic, frenetic digital illustrations are terribly overworked and unsuccessfully include a multitude of textures, fonts, and styles. With a shallow and difficult to find plot and only underdeveloped, stereotypical, and unlikab ...more
Raychull Bryson
Apr 08, 2014 Raychull Bryson rated it really liked it
hilarious. love the art work too.
Matthew
May 21, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
This story is minimalist and funny. Hogg, Hogg, and Hog is an trendsetting firm whose entire appeal comes from taking barnyard phrases and introducing them to an urban human public. They are a sensation for something as simple as the word oink. When it all falls apart and people get bored with oink, they plagiarize the sounds of their farmyard friends, only to have their friends show up expecting compensation. It's kind of the Farmer in the Dell meets Mad Men, if that makes sense. Funny.
Jackie
Feb 09, 2012 Jackie rated it liked it
Oinking is all the rage in the big city since Hogg, Hogg, & Hog brought their unique brand to the big city. But, after awhile the people grow tired of it...YAWN!. Hogg, Hogg, & Hog have to come up with something new and right now!

Using their friends from the past, they come up with a brilliant idea. And, once again, they are on top!

Used for "National Pig Day Storytime": March, 2012.
Aprils
Jun 26, 2013 Aprils rated it did not like it
This book is about a group of three pigs who steal business ideas from their friends. Their friends find out and say that they want credit for their ideas. The pigs agree to work as partners to think up ideas together. This book didn’t make a lot of sense to me. The adult topics made it unsuitable for children. I don’t think kids would understand the humor.
Alicia Scully
Nov 06, 2011 Alicia Scully rated it it was ok
An interesting look at the business world if it was run by conniving farm animals. The company of Hogg, Hogg, and Hog has its highs and lows based on the trends of the consumers. It's a way to introduce children to that part of the economy, but there isn't a whole lot else going for the story.
Sheri
Oct 09, 2013 Sheri rated it liked it
Hogg,Hogg, & Hog are big city agents for talent. They set trends and when they run out of ideas other animals move in with their ideas. Funny read but more appealing to adults and older kids. This is not too appealing to elementary school children. Not a good read aloud for K-3.
KarenMLISt
I love that the "big idea" is so nebulous. The "oink" is a metaphor for so many things. But the best thing about this silly little book is its usefulness for a lesson about copyright. And I think the illustrations are FUN.
Rebecca
Apr 04, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Margie Palatini, usually a go-to author for humor and readaloud (especially the slightly older K-2 crowd), falls short here. I just don't think kids will get the big-city, "corporate" humor. Adults will, though.
Susan B
Aug 07, 2014 Susan B rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
When an author casts about for an idea, what does she come up with? Three pigs casting about for an idea! What do they come up with? Something silly that everyone around them thinks is brilliant.

'nuf said.
Julia
I totally love the monochrome+pink illustrations. The animal noises definitely lend the story towards read-alouds, with some fun grown up humor to keep it interesting.
Betsy
Jun 25, 2012 Betsy rated it it was ok
In a way this was a cute book, but it also felt like a bit of a rip-off of the Dianne Cronin/Betsy Lewin Farmer Brown (Click-Clack-Moo, etc.) books.
Linda Atkinson
Mar 22, 2011 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
Woot! What happens when you merge pork and Wall Street! I rather fancy the illustrations, too; most fitting ;-)
Elisabeth
Apr 06, 2011 Elisabeth rated it did not like it
I usually really enjoy her books - but this one is a head scratcher. Cool illustrations, super confusing story.
Susan Erhardt
Apr 02, 2011 Susan Erhardt rated it it was ok
I think adults would find this book mildly amusing, but kids? I don't think they'd get the joke.
Mary
Apr 05, 2012 Mary rated it it was ok
Funny idea about how fickle we are, but kids are not gonna get the humor at all.
Anne
Apr 27, 2011 Anne rated it it was ok
I like the art but this is definitely going to go right over kids' heads.
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok
My son is 2 1/2 and he enjoyed the oinking and other animal sounds.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 19, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Swine on Madison Avenue. Mad Pork?
EL