Start by marking “Breakfast at the Exit Cafe: Travels Through America” as Want to Read:
Breakfast at the Exit Cafe: Travels Through America

Breakfast at the Exit Cafe: Travels Through America

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Part travelogue, part exploration-a road trip into the reality behind the cultural myth that is America.Breakfast at the Exit Cafe begins as a personal story-told in alternating voices by two travellers and writers-of a journey by car from British Columbia around the rim of the United States. It soon becomes a journey of exploration. For Grady, whose forebears were slaves ...more
Published September 25th 2010 by Douglas & McIntyre (first published September 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast at the Exit Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast at the Exit Cafe

VWrulesChick
A travel story taken by Canadian husband and wife writers, each with their own running commentary of their travels and experiences where they start in Vancouver BC, head south along the West Coast and then east into mountains, and then the desert and further south into Texas. Trapsing into the South and slowly winding back North to Canada over a two month period with their little Echo. Curiosity is interesting idea dealt with the end of how we differ in the what we (Canadians) deem the meaning t ...more
Karen Snyder
Anybook that mentions One Square Inch of Silence in my opinion has to be a good book!Likewise with thoughts of Rachel Carson, Edward Abbey, the Grand Canyon, The Redwoods...although great travels it does seem like many miles of pavement with a rushed timeline.
Joanne
I liked this informative unusual book. The couple was a bit twee at times with their duck pate' and special red plates, but likable and kind also. My problem was with Merilyn comparing her husband's background to Obama's. No one would look at her husband and think black, and no one would look at Obama and think white.
I learned some things about this country from these thoughtful Canadians.
Sally
If you're planning a road trip in the States this is a great read. If you're not planning to go there anytime soon, this is a great substitute for a road trip. All the background info, history, insights and observations without the discomfort. If you're American and voted for George W, this isprobably not for you.
Margaret
I enjoyed this because I generally like travel books. There was a slight hint of the favourite Canadian pastime of anti-Americanism, running through the book but nothing too bad.
Marianna
Other than a few factual errors for the Texas portion of this book (I can't speak to the validity of the facts for the other regions covered) I found this an entertaining read. I was a little put off by the oversimplification of the treatment of race relations in the south. To read Mr. Grady you would believe that a trip to Selma, Alabama or Jacksonville, Mississippi would have you returning to the 1950's. Certainly racism still exists in this region, but not to the extent implied in this readin ...more
Richard Thompson
Wayne Grady (a writer whose work I was familiar with) and his wife, Merilyn Simonds (a writer whose work I will make a note to investigate) decide to make a trip in late December of 2006, from Vancouver where Merilyn has been writer-in-residence at UBC, down through the States and back to their home in southeastern Ontario.

Each of the writers (taking turn and turn about along the route) has a unique voice, but both write well and engagingly.

They have chosen to cross the continent across the sout
Christina
This is an interesting look at America in the early 21st century. The husband and wife Canadian authors leave British Columbia in mid-December 2006 and drive down the west coast, across the American southwest and the south, then up the east coast of America to arrive home in eastern Ontario two months later. They encounter quite a bit of bad weather and (of course) some quirky characters and places. I enjoyed their commentary on the state of America at that particular point in time. As the book ...more
John
Husband and wife leave Vancouver just before Christmas in a small car and go home to eastern Ontario " the long way", via California and the US. Both are writers. They are empty-nesters too. They take turns narrating their journey. Their affection for each other as a long- married couple shines through in their accounts of the others' sayings and reactions to life and events on the road.

The problem is that they took their notes, got a Canada Council grant and retired to a writers' workshop to w
Henry
Unusual in that this on the road book talks in two voices--a married couple of well-known Canadian writers traveling by less-traveled routes from Vancouver down to California and then west till they reach the southeastern coast, then north till they reach Canada.

They talk about how the US differs from Canada, in the attitudes of the people. It is hard not to
empathize with them, when either of them has disparaging things to say about the country, having lived in the US and now in Canada for umpt
Carol Harrison
An interesting journey around the U.S., especially since it is written by 2 Canadians so has that perspective. I also liked the way they divided up their writing--when it was Wayne's turn, the first paragraph started with "W" and when it was Merilyn's, it was an "M". Maybe a bit too much didactic information about American history in places, but descriptions of people and places were vivid and there was humour too. The writers also were not afraid to describe their own human weaknesses which mad ...more
Kasadarko
I may not agree with Merilyn’s final perspective on Americans, defining what American curiosity is, but still a fantastic read. Through factoids, observations, cultural and historical lessons we experience their road trip across America. I loved that I could put the book down and Google any of their stays and historical facts, delving deeper than the book’s written word. Perhaps a bit heavy on American stereotypes, but polite and even-toned about it. A delightful read with ample rhetoric on home ...more
Kathleen McRae
I really enjoyed this book written by Wayne Grady and Merilyn Simonds.wayne and marilyn are a married couple from Canada who travel for two months in the USA. They travel down the pacific coast thru Washington and Oregon crossing the Great Desert to the south and back up thru the Shenandoah valley to return to their home in Ontario.Wayne and Merilyn took turns writing and it was almost seamless.There was a lot of history covered as they traveled and bird watching and today observations of our la ...more
Elisa
I really liked the book and the way both authors shared their Canadian viewpoints. I was however frustrated at the way the book ended. I can understand that they probably were tired from their long Roadtrip....but the ending did not match the rest of the story. It seemed like they were in a hurry and the story just ended!
Ej
I really liked this book. It is one of the books that leads you to so many others. I had to keep a pen and notebook handy to write down all the books they reference. John Steinbeck is high on the list. Travels with Charlie (never read), Grapes of Wrath (read in highschool which means not much now!).
Beth
A really interesting and informative book written by a married couple, both writers, as they travel from Vancouver, across the US, back to their home in Ontario. I loved reading about places that I have visited, and really enjoyed the interesting history bits thrown in along the way.
Alan
Entertaining writing, but I wouldn't take travel advise from anyone showing up at El Tovar at the Grand Canyon on Christmas day without a reservation. Walking in the door "hoping" there's a cancellation on one the busiest days of the year is simply foolish.
Michael Seeds
This is an illuminating book because it is authored by two Canadians driving the long way home through the United States. It is interesting to see the US through foreign eyes that are not too foreign.
Dawn
A great book to read while you're road-tripping around the U.S., particularly as a Canadian. There are some great insights and thoughts on the differences between our two countries.
Jeff Campbell
A great twist having two story tellers merge the tale together. You get a great sense of where they are coming from and their insights on their travels. A great read!
Patricia
A very thought provoking travel book. I enjoyed it immensely. It is written in turn by a husband and wife team.
Daphne
It was a really interesting travelogue without being a travelogue!
Mary Curran
A good road story in which I learned a little about the U.S.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Cindy (Cid)
Cindy (Cid) marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
19723
Wayne Grady is the award-winning author of Emancipation Day, a novel of denial and identity. He has also written such works of science and nature as The Bone Museum, Bringing Back the Dodo, The Quiet Limit of the World, and The Great Lakes, which won a National Outdoor Book Award in the U.S. With his wife, novelist Merilyn Simonds, he co-authored Breakfast at the Exit Café: Travels Through America ...more
More about Wayne Grady...
Emancipation Day The Great Lakes: The Natural History of a Changing Region The Bone Museum: Travels in the Lost Worlds of Dinosaurs and Birds Vulture: Nature's Ghastly Gourmet Bringing Back The Dodo: Lessons In Natural And Unnatural History