Start by marking “Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)” as Want to Read:
Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)

Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor #4)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  4,114 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews

Old ghosts of different kinds come back to haunt Fix, in the fourth gripping Felix Castor novel.

Names and faces he thought he'd left behind in Liverpool resurface in London, bringing Castor far more trouble than he'd anticipated. Childhood memories, family traumas, sins old and new, and a council estate that was meant to be a modern utopia until it turned into something l

Published (first published March 1st 2009)

Brad
I'm growing very comfortable with this series. Maybe not as comfortable as I've been in more than a handful of others, but it's definitely becoming a more enjoyable read. There's a lot of traditional gumshoeing in this novel, like the others, but for some reason, it feel a bit more polished that the previous novels. It's a lot less disjointed and the way it brings in Fix's wayward childhood, gangland style, was actually rather refreshing.

As always, the titles to these books have multiple referen
Carol.
May 20, 2011 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF detective fans
If you are a fan of the urban fantasy detective, I highly recommend you read Thicker Than Water, one of the best Felix Castor books to date. Reading prior books is not required; while they add some character back story and add to the overarching philosophical developments, the plot is largely discrete in each book and Carey does a nice job of providing information without backstory infodumps. Thicker starts off with a teaser, a third person witnessing of Castor's demon-ridden friend Rafi being a ...more
Sarah Anne
"Time to fight dirty - assuming you count a knee to the balls as fighting clean."

Although Dead Men's Boots is a personal fave, this particular book has the best plot and writing. Carey grows as a writer and it shows in Castor's growth as a character, as well as a truly tense and creepy plot, which is quite possibly the only one of the Castor books that I would classify as horror.

Castor is hauled out in the middle of the night by DC Coldwood (what else is new?) and taken to a crime scene and gues
Stephanie
Well, the shit really hits the fan in this one. Felix "Fix" Castor, exorcist-extraordinaire is faced with a massive entity that is causing havoc in the Salisbury Estate in South London. He is also implicated in the mysterious stabbing death of a former childhood nemesis, who happens to have lived in the Salisbury. Fix goes to investigate and runs into Father Gwillam, the Pope's favorite exorcist and his band of soldiers. Then Fix's older brother, Father Matthew, shows up too and Fix is REALLY co ...more
Carly
May 04, 2013 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I want to say "everyone," but I'll settle for "everyone who likes dark, gritty noir."
Recommended to Carly by: the previous books in the series
***WARNING: a main theme of this book is self-harm (specifically cutting) It isn't fetishised or romanticised, but Carey's writing is quite visceral and my review has quotes, so beware of triggers...***

It all starts with a jailbreak.
Felix "Fix" Castor, aided by the succubus Juliet, daringly swipe Fix's demon-possessed friend out from under the noses of the sadistic doctor who wants to take him apart to study him. Fix is just beginning to catch his breath when the police arrive on his doorstep. T
Jamie Collins
This fourth book in the Felix Castor series is my favorite so far. The occult is not my favorite urban fantasy subject, but the exorcist theme works for me in these books. I also love the depiction of modern-day London and the British slang, and that the story has a nice mix of fantasy and the prosaic.

This is richly written and suspenseful. It's very focused on Castor himself, and the other characterizations are admittedly a bit neglected. There seems to have been an off-camera reconciliation be
Kristen
Aug 02, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up until about 4am reading this book, completely and utterly hooked. I have been into the series since first getting The Devil You Know, but there have always been small things I thought could have been done better.

This book was incredible.

I think Carey did his best work with the story and the characters in this installment. He has the trade-mark creepiness and horror and goes to a whole new level with it. The setting was really well-chosen, the use of the characters (especially since
Brainycat
blasphemy: 4
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

It's been a few days since I finished this book. Also, I finished the next (and last) book "The Naming of the Beasts" in the series a few hours after I finished this book. So this review is written after I've recovered from the sadness and shock of finishing what has become one of my most favorite series' ever, and after I've had enough time for the details to fade and blur
Mel
This was my favourite of the Felix Castor novels so far. The focus was on a council estate in South London, so you knew that it would be bad. What made this story so good was how very personal it was. This wasn't just some random demon troubling London but tied into Castor's past in Liverpool and managed to capture a lot of the fear of growing up poor, bad relationship choices, broken families, that made the story that much more real and frightening. Of all the books so far this one seemed the m ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Mike Carey's supernatural noir series keeps getting better. Scouser Felix Castor makes an excellent I-Can't-Believe-It-Isn't-Constantine(tm) and Carey's richly witty and descriptive prose helps, as does the complex plot with distinct overtones of horror. Various long-running plot threads are starting to come together and this book, satisfying on its own, also sets up what promises to be a massive confrontation between Castor and the demon that's been possessing his best friend.
Chris
Sep 14, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Good installment of the series in which Felix finds out altogether more about demons than he really bargained for. Very intense read, this. Definitely reading the fifth and presumably last book (since it was written five years ago) immediately.
Tim Pendry
Aug 30, 2009 Tim Pendry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is the fourth in the Felix Castor series and the best so far. And why is that?

Well, first of all, he is pulling together all his themes into a very cogent universe with a hint at a big back story to come. A major twist at the end of the book tells us something important about his demon world that shifts our perception and reminds us that this is the graphic novelist who brought us Constantine. I can't tell you more because I am not into spoilers. The surprise is part of the fun.

But, more th
Joulez
Nov 10, 2016 Joulez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
So firstly I want to say that I read the first three of these series one after the other, I read this one I think about a year later. It was quite difficult to get back into this book, especially considering I had such a long gap between the other three I had read, and I think I spent the first part of this book trying to remember what had happened in the previous books, because there was a lot of call backs to some of the previous ones.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the book, because I did,
Abigail
Solid 3.5
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
I'm so torn over this series. I like it a lot. I like the MC. I like the world he set up. I just hate pretty much every other character in the book. Being a character person, that's a problem for me.

I'm just sick of the crap that everyone gives Fix and him just agreeing and bending over. It's like every character in this story exists only to shit on him, and I hate it. Now that's getting pushed off on Fix for being such a wimp.

Thus far, the book (or any of the characters) have yet to convince me
nemotron
Jan 08, 2016 nemotron rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Another thrilling (mis-)adventure in the life of Felix Castor.

Carey is really good at this, and once again he does not disappoint. The writing is witty and the plot is intriguing. The book builds on everything from previous books without actually requiring you to read them first. (Although I would recommend to do so, just because they are really good! :)). It also has some very interesting new information about the nature of demons, that hopefully will be explored more in the future.

I did see 2
Richard
Apr 17, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow did this series just hit a high point, and I didnt guess for a second the outcome of this story which really hits you like a punch in the ribs. Again Felix castor is on the case, as usual on the wrong side of the law, and just about everyone else he knows for that matter, we get a much deeper insight into Fix's past and upbringing, and some development on his brother too, all in all a very welcome book for the series and definately the high point of it.
Jo
Felix Castor is back and yet again he's in trouble with the law. This time they suspect him of the murder of a former boyhood acquaintance. As is usually the case with Carey's novels, you don't want to put this down and anything else goes out the window as you accompany Felix Castor on his adventure to root out the truth. Ghosts, demons and exorcisms. What more could you want.
Bill
Aug 27, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun instalment in the Felix Castor series, though the series seems to be going no where good, at least for the main character and London. I couldn't wait to start the next book.
Adam
May 23, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent continuation to the series. What an ending! I picked up the next book as soon as I finished this one. I wish there were more than five books. I'll have to read the next one very slowly.
Paula Mariscal
Nov 11, 2012 Paula Mariscal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sold on these Felix Castor books when I started reading number three first on accident. However, this one has such an intriguing twist at the end number 4 may now be my favorite.
Gareth Otton
Apr 11, 2014 Gareth Otton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy

Thicker than Water was the first return to form for this series since the brilliant opening novel. The two previous novels have been enjoyable but, for me at least, very flawed and often highly frustrating. However, it was the promise of the series that has kept me reading and getting to this book I have to admit that I am really glad that I did.

A previous complaint about earlier novels was that Castor felt like a very one dimensional character. Other than being the kind of self hating lone her
Abigail
Nov 29, 2016 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I mean, I'm nearly done the series. I keep reading, so obviously I'm into it. Couple of notes:

How many times can Felix Castor's shoulder get punctured/lacerated/torn up. How does it even function anymore? In each book, his shoulder is getting annihilated. Even if it's alternating shoulders, it's still a lot. Poor dude.

Also, Carey has a tendency to reuse tropes and phrases and scenes from book to book to book. It's like he was writing and said "Ooh, that sounds nice, let me add that," forgetting
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 Soho_Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
Mike Carey is not a name I'd come across before, but on hearing he'd written the book that the film ''Constantine'' was based on, I was certainly interested in his work. ''Thicker Than Water'' is the fourth in his series involving Felix Castor and whilst that gave me slight pause about coming in to an already well established series, my desire to check out Carey's work outweighed any concerns I had.

Felix Castor is an exorcist, attempting to fight the demons, werewolves and zombies that inhabit o
oleeleeo
Jan 04, 2015 oleeleeo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'll start with: READ THEM IN ORDER. While not necessary I strongly recommend as Carey builds the relationships between the main characters from the first book. It's like going to a party with strangers: it's ok but better if you know the people already. And the usual suspects return: Felix Castor, Ajujulitskael (aka Juliet, the demon who has mostly reformed her wicked soul eating ways and shacked up with a new love) and Det. Gary Coldwood, one of London's finest who retains the services o ...more
Paulius
Dec 14, 2016 Paulius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hell yeah. 4/5.
Situacija saloje kaista - tuoj bus karšta kaip pragare. Londono kvartalas virsta demonų irštva - žmonės pjaustosi, daužosi, badosi ir dar visokią kokią velniavą daro. Žinoma, katinėlis įvykių sūkuryje, tačiau būtent šioje knygoje jis kaip niekad arti nuskendimo. Super istorija.
Jėga, kad autorius palieka laiko tarpus tarp knygų ir praleidžia dalį svarbios info, pvz. kokius klausimus uždavė zombis demonei - velniškai knieti sužinoti.
Pedro Silva
May 20, 2014 Pedro Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thicker than Water represents a form a improvement over it's predecessor in many ways but the opposite in others.

The character voice is more involved and adventurous, and the narrator gets rivers of credit. It sacrifices the gravitas and cynical composure of the previous versions, for irony and subtle but strong emotional voices.

The story plays around with new explanations of old concepts, but they are, for the most part, very self contained, which on it's own gives you a focused, better flown n
Lincoln Noronha
Jul 23, 2015 Lincoln Noronha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if you came this far, I assume you read the previous ones, so I will share my impressions with that in mind.
I had one single complain with this series, from the first book on: the plot was way too predictible. But from the start, this serious problem was offset by the amazing writing from Mike Carey. I cannot turn more than two pages on this series without a smile, a lonely laugh, or a deep thought.
Well... I am happy to report that my single problem is no longer a problem. Since dead man's
Reed
Aug 05, 2010 Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felix "Fix" Castor is back in a new exorcist adventure, more gloomy and noir-ish than ever. I grew tired of awaiting the 4th book to be published in the U.S., so when I found a cheap UK paperback I snatched it up.

All the principal characters return, but the focus this time is squarely upon Felix himself. The reader gets to see Felix and his upbringing in Liverpool, as the case he's on takes him to his old stomping grounds. Because Carey focuses so much time on Felix, the other characters seem to
Mary Anne
Jul 06, 2011 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mary Anne by: Brandon
Wow, so I knew the twist was coming, and I thought I knew what it was, but 1.) I did not know what it was, and 2.) I'm so, so glad I didn't get it right. This is another excellent Mike Carey book in the Felix Castor series. I will admit to being a bit stunned in the beginning. It seemed as though a lot had changed and some of it was strange and confusing. Occasionally, when I start a Felix Castor book, I'm not entirely on board at the beginning. I just have hope that it will get better. This boo ...more
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • No Dominion (Joe Pitt, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • The Shadow Pavilion (Detective Inspector Chen, #4)
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

Felix Castor (5 books)
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)

“Could it hurt to take a look? The answer was yes, of course. It's always yes. But I went anyway.” 6 likes
“The light of a hunter's moon bleached the unresisting pastels from the faces of the towers, so that they looked like titanic ribs of bone, and shadows accrued like crusted blood under the walkways.” 4 likes