Baby

Baby

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Baby loves the dogs, but when her old boyfriend shows up, she runs off with him. In no time at all, Baby has to make some hard decisions.
ebook
Published by Namelos (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby

Judy
Baby is a 15 year old runaway who is put into foster care. She has really cool foster parents who get her hooked on dog sledding. Baby's decision making skills are not the greatest, but she slowly learns she has to make good decisions in order to change her life around. I liked this book because it felt real to me. For 13 yrs and up.
Sandra
Foster teen gets one last chance with a family who raises dogs for sled racing. Whole new world for me and I really enjoyed the book
Nshslibrary
The book Baby by Joseph Monninger has a dramatic, loving and a family-like feeling. This book is recommended to all young people from ages 14-35. Baby,a 15 year old troubled foster kid whose out of control behavior is highly influenced by her no-good boyfriend. Cindy, her caseworker takes her to a home in New Hampshire where she meets her new foster parents. Her new foster parents, Fred and Mary Potter, seem to be very nice, calm, cool and collected people. They have race dogs, which they race t...more
Joseph Monninger recommended this YA book of his when he spoke to our book club, so of course I downloaded it right then to my kindle. This is the story of Baby, a 15 year old girl who's being given her last chance foster home placement with a couple who races sled dogs. While living with them she gains a love for the dogs and the sledding, but her boyfriend shows up she runs away with him (taking one of the dogs along).

I feel that this novel is so honest and real. You see girls like Baby occasi...more
Sabrina
This book is about a teenager named Baby who is constantly being sent to foster homes and then running away with her boyfriend Bobby. She was sent to New Hampshire to another foster family, and they run dogs. "I guess that was the message. No one was going to force me to come in. I had the choice to sit in the cold or walk one of those compass points and find whatever I could, or I could come inside. Big moment..." (pg. 15). This shows that Baby is very defiant and does not want to follow what...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Holly for TeensReadToo.com

It's Baby's last chance with foster parents before she's shipped off to a juvenile detention center.

Baby may believe that meeting Bobby is the best thing that ever happened to her. But it happens when Baby's finally at a wonderful place in her life, and Bobby starts to take her away from it all.

Under Bobby's influence, Baby will do just about anything, even take her foster parents, Mary and Fred's, most prized possession -- a sled dog. Her life is spiralin...more
Christina
Baby is a teenager who's been through the foster care system for several years; her mother, a drug addict, deserted her, though Baby hopes to one day see her again. Now Baby is staying at the rural New England home of the Potters, and learning to race sled dogs. She is reluctantly getting settled in, but when her boyfriend shows up to take her away to live on the streets again, she is happy to go with him--and she steals a dog from the Potters. Will she fall into Bobby's drug dealing ways? Will...more
Elizabeth
Baby is the book I did my booktalk on. I did kinda like it. The thing that attracted me to this book was that it is about a foster child who goes to live with these amazing people who show her her true worth. If I wasn't a teacher, I'd be a social worker. Abandoned children have a special place in my heart, and this book shares the story of one such child who finds a happy ending. It wasn't as heart-wrenching as I would have liked, but it was good enough.

I don't think there was enough literary m...more
Jd
Feb 04, 2008 Jd rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jd by: Bg
Wow. What a great book. I was completely absorbed in the character and her life. I understood her conflict between choosing the foster care family or running away with her boyfriend. I loved her transformation throughout the book. And I really didn't see the most climactic part coming and I wasn't certain if this book would have a happy or sad ending.
Cheryl
Monninger is an avid dogsledder and hence the descriptions of the races are the most exciting and absorbing parts of the book. The writing is sometimes inelegant, but it is a lovely hopeful story about the restorative power of nature and family.
Ashley
Bitchy-but-believable protagonist who makes bad choices while living with loving foster home parents. Her passion for racing dogs in the bitter Northern climate and the bond she eventually forms with the family turn things around for her.
Amanda L.
Great YA novel about a foster girl who gets sent to live with a family who raises sled dogs. Unusual setting/situation for a YA novel with a protagonist facing real teen problems.
Barb
This book combines a story of a teen girl at her last chance foster home of very special foster parents with dog sledding, which adds some adventure to the plot.
Bg
Pretty perfect young adult novel. Difficult issues, well presented, compelling, interesting and not formulaic.
Stephanie A.
Nice quick read, featuring delinquent foster-care kid and sled dogs.
Susan P
Mar 24, 2008 Susan P marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended at the March WASHYARG meeting.
Kathy
Dorky cover but amazing read!
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Kira Kingery
Kira Kingery is currently reading it
May 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Takeena
Takeena marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joseph Monninger has published eleven novels and three non-fiction books. His work has appeared in American Heritage, Scientific American, Readers Digest, Glamour, Playboy, Story, Fiction, The Boston Globe, Sports Illustrated and Ellery Queen, among other publications. He has twice received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and has also received a fellowship from the New Hampshi...more
More about Joseph Monninger...
Eternal on the Water The World As We Know It Wish Margaret from Maine: A Novel Finding Somewhere