Blank-133x176
City of Rats

Emily Rodda

City of Rats (Deltora Quest #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  4,837 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Lief, Barda, and Jasmine continue their perilous quest to recover the seven lost gems of the magic belt of Deltora. Strengthened by the power of the golden topaz and the great ruby, they begin their search for the third stone. But they cannot know the horrors that await them in their next destination . . . the forbidden City of the Rats.
Published May 1st 2001 by Perfection Learning (first published 2000)

Maddy
I think the book was magnificent! A bit scary at some points but not as scary as the first time I read it. Clever twists and turns increased the tension, making it really exciting. I loved it.
Alison
this book was about a guy and his two friends search for the lost gems of deltora. in this book they meet a shop keeper who rips them of, while trying to help them at the same time. the friends meet a army of rats. they are trying to reach the city of rats. they think one of the lost gems are hidden within the city. they have to fight the rats to get into the city. when in they find a snake. the snake has a gem in his crown.

that gem is one of the gems of deltora.
this book reminds me of the Erag...more
Marchel
Cerita petualangan Lief, Barda, dan Jasmine yang ketiga.

Di awal cerita, tiga sekawan itu dikejar-kejar 11 anak Thaegan yang ingin membalas kematian ibu mereka dan kedua saudara mereka, Jin dan Jod. Setelah berhasil lolos, berkat kecerdikan Lief, mereka mengenal TOM, seorang pedagang yang menyuplai para pemberontak, dan juga menyuplai Pengawal Kelabu. Dari Tom, mereka membeli berbagai perlengkapan aneh tapi serba guna seperti tali yang bisa menggulung sendiri, satu paket "Tanpa Dipanggang" (lingk...more
Natalia
Nadzieja umiera ostatnia…

Miasto szczurów to już trzeci tom z serii Pas Deltory, którą stworzyła australijska pisarka ukrywająca się pod pseudonimem Emily Rodda.

Deltora była niegdyś spokojną krainą. Jednak odkąd przejął ją we władanie Władca Mroku, stała się posępna i niebezpieczna. Jedynym ratunkiem jest odnalezienie poszczególnych klejnotów z mitycznego Pasa Deltory, który następnie ma zostać przekazany prawowitemu spadkobiercy królów.

Zadanie odnalezienia klejnotów spada na Liefa, wraz z nim w...more
Frank
Emily Rodda has continued spinning her splendid "Deltora Quest" with book #3 and another exciting adventure. The three main characters Lief, Barda and Jasmine continue to work as a team against some of the strangest creatures and people yet. But they also continue to unravel a very strange tale of what had been going on in this land for a very long time, long before the Shadow had taken over. There are several very narrow escapes in this tale and Filli, Jasmine's little furry friend who pretty m...more
Dilan
This book is about Leaf and his friends Barda and Jasmin going to rat city to find another Gem. Leaf and his friends have to find these gems so that they can put together the belt of deltora so that the world can be united and better improved.

I connect this book to the lightning thief. This book reminds me of the lightning thief because the characters have to go on a quest to find what they need in order to survive. This book is also similar to the lightning thief because Leaf has to make sure...more
Kyle Rickman
City of the Rats is the third book in the serious Deltora Quest written by Emily Rodda. This book is made more for the 7-12 year old males that love and thrive off of mythology. The main theme of this book is even if all hope is lost you shall never give up, because someone will always take your place to do what is right. I think this was a very good book to read and i recommend that you should pick up Emily's first 2 books in Deltora Quest and no matter how boring the first book is, don't put...more
Saeed dourandish
lif , barda va jasmin , 3hamsafari hastand ke tanha noghteye moshtarakeshan , nefrat az doshmani vahed ast. anha baraye peyda kardane 7 gohare jadoiie kamarband nacharand dast be jost o johaye khatar naki bezanand
zira tanha zamani ke kamarband kamel shavad arbabe saye ha sarnegoon mishavad
anha ta be hal movafagh shode and yaghote zard o sorkh ra biaband. in 2 gohar ke nirohaii marmoz darand be hamsafaran ghodrat va shahamat mi bakhshad ta baraye yaftane gohare 3 talash konand.
ama hich yek az anh...more
Rebecca
Certainly the most interesting of the Deltora Quest series. A whole host of freaky characters and an interesting stint in a secret underground town with a morbid fear of furry creatures. After escaping from said town, the three heroes manage to end up in an even freakier deserted city, deserted by all except an army of very savage rats which attempt to eat our heroes’ whole. But once again, predictably, good triumphs and the merry trio is one step closer to fulfilling their magical quest and rid...more
Stacy
Read aloud for the boys. Pretty good one- goes back and explains some of the earlier happenings throughout Del. Leif, Jasmine and Barda continue their quest for the stones of the Belt of Deltora. This time the travel toward the City of Rats. Road weary, they stop at Tom's shop for the traveler, who sells them some interesting creatures to ride.

The creatures bolt for 'home' and the 3 end up in the city Noradz- where they continually break the fierce laws of convention there and wind up imprisone...more
Sofie
i liked how was a lot of action and adventure.
Jaelee Tillack
I just can't wait till I read them all.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I just finished reading this out loud to my 9 year old son for our bed time reading. He loves this series, and has already read the first 6 books by himself, but he wanted to re-read them with me. He had told me that this was his least favourite book of the series so far. I'm sure his prejudice clouded my judgement but I didn't like this one as much as the first two. I thought that the Ra-Kacharz bit went on too long, and I lost track of the story and characters at times. It all came to an end r...more
Amanda Logo
My brilliant son found the anime cartoon, Deltora Quest, and has been watching each episode (on his phone) in order up to the part in the books that we're reading; how cool is that?! He missed his chance to test on this one Friday but he still watched the corresponding anime episodes AND (we)jumped immediately into the next installment in the book series, The Shifting Sands! I'm so thankful to Mrs. Maples (the school librarian) for suggesting this series, I haven't seen Seth this excited about r...more
Renay
Rats, wild beasts, crazy adventures that no - one has trained for or has skill to overcome, our hero lief and companions barda and jasmine stumble into yet more maddening craziness, but in the end, quickly and almost without solid reasoning, the wild beasts (the rats in this case) are beaten, and lief has come out the other side of the adventure victorious with yet another easily - gained gem for the belt of deltora.
almost as quickly as lief is saving deltora, the pages are flipping by.
enjoyable...more
Lu
Queen
Although the red-cloaked OCD fanatics and Dr. Seuss camel-horses have potential to be cool, it was slow and boring. The suspense doesn't really focus on the jewel. There's some mystery to discover at Tom's Shoppe--wish I could buy some of his unique toys--(crap, said Tre), but but but but we just weren't connecting to the plot. It seems to go on and on with short bursts of excitement and no climax.
Abbie
Arito Sato
日本語版
デルトラ・クエスト〈3〉ネズミの街
Tim
Third in the "Deltora Quest" series, by now familiar in terms of characters and setup, but with some surprises about all of 'em. I continue to see the strong appeal for tweens, but for us old fogeys it's an easy romp in preparation to read, for example, "The Tears of the Dragon" or "The Throat." Enjoyable as usual.
Brad
The quest continues. Another easy book, probably fun for kids in elementary school. I enjoyed the character of Tom, the storekeeper who remains neutral in the battle between the good guys and the bad guys--he's just out to make a buck, but helps our heroes a little as he can.

Rating: PG, for action adventure.
mack ass daddy JENNIFER
i personally really did enjoy this book. page after page was like entering a whole new world. theres just so much fantasy that its mind twisting!! an its not the stupid kinda of fantasy book, its just right. this book is perfect for all ages. especially for those who just love adventure an fantasy!!
E.J.
This was a good book to read. I have't read this in a long time too. What I don't understand is how would a small worm turn into a HUGE snake?! I think it's creepy that the snake can read minds. Like the other books in the series some parts were confusing.
Chris Mcwilliams
A great add on to the Deltora series, with twist and turns throughout the story this book was a joy to read. Rodda really outdid herself with this series and I look forward to finishing out the rest of the books in the set!
Mandy Blackburn
I read it just for something to read and it surprised me. I thought it was fairly good high fantasy for younger children, 3-5 grade. I think this is a series I would recommend to my nieces and nephews who are fans of fantasies.
Ashley kreger
i remember this book pretty vividly a city of starved rats over grown snakes and a city all about cleanliness and order. it was pretty cool and the odd contraptions they buy at the store where very interesting
Kristine
I think I enjoyed 'City of the Rats', even more than the first two in the series.

Creative and fantastical, it had some very clever concepts (that I won't divulge for fear of ruining it for anyone)

I love fantasy!
Josh Gnat
The book was interesting. There were many parts that I liked.
(Spoiler) Like when they were trying to run away from rats. Then they jumped into the river. Then one of them pulled a knife and started killing them all.
Monika
Definitely it has more adventures than previews parts. I enjoyed it much more and some stories were on really good fantasy level. Plus, it's a fast read and great message about friendship and being clever.
Nathan Clarke
This was a reputable book, but it was no where near as tense as the 2nd, but I suppose it does involve the main problem throughout he whole book, but I think she gets too involved in the subplot.
MCC Children's Li...: Children's Novel!!! 1 2 Mar 31, 2012 09:09PM
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Tartok The Ice Beast (Beast Quest, #5)
  • By Fire, By Moonlight (Unicorns Of Balinor, #4)
  • Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)
  • Blabber Mouth
  • The Wizard's Statue (Circle of Magic #3)
  • Uncovered! (Uncollected)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...
The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1) The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2) The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4) Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5) The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)