Start by marking “A Filha do Sol” as Want to Read:
A Filha do Sol

A Filha do Sol

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Conquistou o coração de um cruel e poderoso líder… e selou o destino do seu povo… Hoshi’tiwa, uma rapariga de dezassete anos, levava uma vida tranquila: filha de um humilde cultivador de milho, tencionava casar com um aprendiz de contador de histórias. Porém, o seu mundo é virado do avesso ao ser capturada pelo poderoso e violento governante de uma cidade infame, conhecido ...more
Published July 2010 by Contraponto (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Filha do Sol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Filha do Sol

A parte final, é muito boa, ou pelo menos, muito emocionante. O contexto histórico é mais ou menos. Mas infelizmente quase até ao final é demasiado morno.
Ah, yes, to be an archaeologist, yet read historical fiction. It's probably not the best of ideas. While the story is set in Chaco Canyon (New Mexico), it did not feel like it. Archaeologically speaking, the Toltecs were probably not living in Chaco in the great numbers depicted in this book; though their influence is known as represented by copper bells, parrot bones, etc. Also, the descriptions of the Toltecs combined aspects from both the Aztecs and Maya cultures - which, quite frankly, threw ...more
Nuno Magalhães
Jul 13, 2011 Nuno Magalhães rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nuno by: Estela
Este livro é outro grande romance histórico de Barbara Woods. Esta autora escreve regularmente sobre temas relacionados com a antropologia da vida tribal da espécie humana, construindo histórias interessantes a partir de factos científicos que vão sendo descobertos sobre esse imenso período da evolução humana. Neste livro, a autora constrói uma narrativa em torno da cultura Anasázi, que floresceu na região sudoeste dos Estados Unidos, que abrange os 4 estados que actualmente constituem a região ...more
Jan 25, 2010 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jen
Shelves: barbara-woods
The setting... an infamous city in the Toltec court. A young girl is torn from her home and brought to the city because her father had bragged about her gift in making vessels that attract rain. The court is in a state of terrible drought and she must turn the tides or she and her village will be put to death. This is an interesting story of love... betrayal.... murder... fear.

The story immediately captured my interest because it began with a runner coming to warn a village that Jaguar troops o
Tendo sido a primeira vez que li algo de Barbara Wood, e sem qualquer influência por parte de slogans ou opiniões literárias, devo concluir que este livro me satisfez genuinamente.
Com a originalidade temática, centrada num tempo um pouco mais recente do que os Maias, com a especificidade de práticas religiosas, de costumes, de alimentação, A Filha do Sol está recheada de cultura e de pormenores diferentes e que nos transportam para um mundo e uma civilização totalmente diferente do Agora.
Com uma
Ik vond Dochter van de Zon een prachtig boek. Het was het eerste boek dat ik las van Barbara Wood, maar het was niet het laatste. Ik heb het ondertussen al meerdere malen gelezen en ook andere boeken van haar hebben mij kunnen boeien.
Ik hou van geschiedenis in het algemeen. Ik hou van zowel fictie als non-fictie beoeken over de geschiendenis. Dochter van de Zon heeft je een perfect beeld over bepaalde maatschappijen van vroeger. Ook al besef ik dat voor sommigen op deze aarde het nog geen gesch
Jahr 1150 - Die junge Hoshitiwa lebt friedlich in ihrem Dorf in einem Land der Azteken, als sie von den Kriegern des "Dunklen Herrschers" verschleppt wird. Sie ist auserwählt, einen magischen Tonkrug herzustellen, der Regen bringen und das geplagte Land von der andauernden Dürre befreien soll.
Hoshitiwas Schicksal ist mit dem vom Faraday verwoben, ein gläubiger Arzt, der sich im Jahr 1910 nach einer schrecklichen Erfahrung in einer Glaubenskrise sieht. Seine Suche nach Antworten führt ihn auch in
This was a completely different kind of book for me. I love novels set in differenct times but have pretty much stuck with early 1500-1800's so I thought I would broaden my horizon a bit with this one. This book is about an real ancient civiliztion in America, the Toltics. The main character is a young girl who is forced to leave her small viallage, her family and her betrothed to go to the big city where the king resides because she has been chosen for her excellent pottery skills. There was a ...more
Πάνος Τουρλής
Εξαιρετικό μυθιστόρημα-ποταμός, με τα κεφάλαια 59-60 να είναι όλα τα λεφτά και οι τρομερές αποκαλύψεις που δεν ήξερες οτι θα συνατνήσεις να σε πετάνε στην άλλη άκρη του δωματίου από την αγωνία.Αξιόλογο. Το συστήνω. Από τις εκδόσεις Μπελ.
Charmaine Tabron
This book sits on the top shelf with my other favorites. I think I love it so much cause it is different from anything I would normally read and the fact that it is so well written. Everything is described in detail like I can see it in front of me. Another thing I love are the characters in the book. They are all so different but their feelings become my feelings, especially the main character.
The book describes very well the customs, believes, and environment of the Toltec people, at a time of tensions by drought and intrigues for power.
I did not enjoy the end of the chief jakal and the rain girl, the main characters, after so many adventures.
Kayla Palmeter
A wonderful historical fiction portraying the culture of the early peoples of the American Southwest. Beautiful detail made it feel as if I were living the events with the protagonist Hashi'tiwa.
Nabila Amr
Eine wunderbare Geschichte über Generationen, die versuchen die Geschichte der Indianerin bzw. Schamanin von Hoshitiwa herauszufinden. Barbara Wood hat eine wunderbare und einfache Art ihre Geschichte zu erzählen. Man kann sich sofort mit den Hauptprotagonisten identifizieren. Leider fehlt mir hier etwas die Spannung. Die Liebesgeschichte von Morgana ist leicht vorhersehbar. Ich habe dieses Buch im Urlaub gelesen zur Entspannung und das war optimal. Wer etwas zur Entspannung lesen will, ist dies ...more
Oh, this book. I had forgotten how amazing it is. This story is the author's take on the mysterious disappearance of the Anasazi people. Most of the story takes place in Chaco Canyon. Hoshi'tiwa is taken from her home and forced to make rain jars for the Dark Lord and the people of Center Place to bring rain and relieve the town of a long drought. Barbara Wood does an amazing job of not only telling a story, but painting a picture of the way of life during those times, of the violent Toltecs, an ...more
Due to life events, I started and stopped reading this book several times, so it was hard for me to pick up any momentum. By the end I pretty much just wanted to be done with it and skimmed the last 50 pages. The story is about a Native American girl who is a talented potter in the 11th century. I typically don't read about this period and was excited about trying something new. There were some stretches that I was really into and would classify as three stars, but on the whole I just didn't car ...more
This is a really good book I love it
Mary Black
Fictionalized romance between a teenage girl who has a crush on the king. Some of the lifeways may be interesting, but the plot is totally unbelievable, at least to me. I would have to classify this more as romance than historical fiction.
Rebecca Huston
Set in what is now Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, this is a rather contrived novel that tries to explain why the site was eventually abandoned. It's a pretty average read, not that interesting, and full of very wild speculation on the author's part. Those who want HF set in the Americas might find it interesting, but I was just left annoyed. Proceed at your own risk.

To read the complete review, please go here:

I read this book all the way through, but I can't say I was that intrigued by it. It seemed like it should be really cool, being set in the Middle Americas during the rule of the Toltecs, but in the end none of the characters really grabbed me. They seemed to make a lot of goofy decisions and while it hinged around the complete changing of a whole society, nothing seemed that urgent to me. Just couldn't get into it.
I have really enjoyed her books in the past. They're a bit of easy, pleasure reading. And while this one is fun, it's certainly not historical fiction. I had trouble with all the assumptions and made-up parts; they dominate and thus made it less appealing, I wish this had not been set in a real place although I do understand the draw to make up what did happen to the people living in the southwest around 1100 ad.
Jun 27, 2009 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every fan of Barbara Wood.
A great story and background, as always brilliant historical facts and you always learn something with Barbara Wood!
But this time I thought some parts/scenes were too detailed, too unreachable for my own thoughts and prospects as there was described every single thought of the protagonists. Maybe I overreact ;-)
Though I like Barbara Wood's books a lot, so the next one's starting right away ...
An amaxing book that enthralls the reader and excites the imagination! One cannot help but be transported back to a time when nature was appreciated and society merely beginning! The forbidden love inspires the reader to open their hearts and minds to the idea of connectedness and acceptance of people based on their actions rather than simply their physical appearance. I loved every minute of this book!
Hoshi'tiwa has to be one of my favorite female characters of all time. And it's not just because her time setting is one of my favortites as well, it's because of who she is. She's strong without coming off as bitchy or demanding, she can be extremely sad without completely losing her head, and she's able to stick to her heroic cause after both of her beloveds die (which I completely ball over).
Different from many books I've read, its about a girl whose only concern is her soon to be husband. Through a series of events though she her concern is an entire city of people. Sharing her beliefs and freeing them from the chains of the Lord. Filled with action, love, mystery, and tragedy; its a story that takes you to another time.
I had to keep reading this book to see what would happen to the main character. I enjoyed picking it up each and every time and going into their world of days past.
I love the strength of the main female characters by Barbara Woods. This is the second book I've read by her and plan on reading more.
Until the end I would have given this book 4 stars. The end kind of killed it for me.

That being said, this was a wonderful read. I am a very quick reader and this took me over a week. Mainly because I needed to stop, and think about what I was reading.

I do reccomend this book.
Ginnie Grant
This book was like an intricate tapestry with many parts woven together to tell one broad story. Beautiful setting, fascinating people and an interesting historical aspect.
I was surprised by how much I liked this book. It did take a little bit to get into it, but once I did I could not put it down. I have read very little Historical Fiction about the Americas and found it very interesting.
I'm intrigued by the way people lived and better understand how religious myths were started.. To bring order to civilisation. Great historical fiction but can't comment how accurate it was about ancient Americans..
I love this author. Long, rich novel about life with the Anasazi, an ancient S.W. American Indian tribe. Set in Chaco Canyon. Power, seduction, murder, betrayal.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 23, 2015 12:35PM
  • Wu: The Chinese Empress Who Schemed, Seduced and Murdered Her Way to Become a Living God
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • Wild (Regency Flings, #1)
  • The Fourth Queen
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • Lucky Everyday: A Novel
  • The Courtesan (The Dark Queen Saga, #2)
  • Handcuffed to the Sheikh (Novella)
  • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
  • Mata Hari's Last Dance
  • Seraglio: A Novel
  • Aklesh
  • Bound to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #1)
  • My Life with George: What I Learned about Joy from One Neurotic (and Very Expensive) Dog
  • La espada de fuego (Saga de Tramórea, #1)
  • Figures In Silk
  • Thornfield Hall
  • The Bargain Bride
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...