Start by marking “War Stories VOL 01” as Want to Read:
War Stories VOL 01

War Stories VOL 01 (War Stories #1)

Acclaimed writer Garth Ennis (Preacher, Hellblazer) enlists a band of celebrated artists to join him in wading through the horrors, the humour and the hardware of the Second World War. In four very different engagements, Ennis battles with the steel-clad terror of tank warfare, faces withering fire on the beaches of Normandy, parachutes into chaos and mayhem with the Ameri ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about War Stories VOL 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Stories VOL 01

Andrew
Mar 28, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, vertigo
Back when I read Preacher (a series that I completed, despite souring on it pretty heavily halfway through), I never would have expected Garth Ennis to produce a comic with anything approaching maturity or subtlety. And yet here he is, delivering smart and emotionally compelling comics based on real events in World War II. These are extensively researched and realistic stories about men (it's always men -- I'd love a similar collection from the perspectives of female medics and/or civilians) try ...more
Sylvester
Brutal. Can't say I *enjoyed* it. Not for the faint of heart, not for children. Lots of bad language, bad behavior, and of course brutal violence. Painful. Probably a very accurate portrayal of war, and therefore, very ugly and excruciating. Well-done, in that respect. But not for everyone. I certainly cringed throughout. These are stories from real men, who cannot escape what they went through or had to do, and I do not take them lightly. These stories, however horrifying, need to be told.
Sam Quixote
Aug 15, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These WW2 war stories are a series of one-shot comics Garth Ennis did with a plethora of the best comics artists around at the moment including Chris Weston, John Higgins, Dave Gibbons and David Lloyd.

The stories in this volume include: the story of a Nazi tank commander as he and his crew evade their own troops in order to surrender to the Allies in the final months of the war; a group of soldiers tasked with taking Italy from the south upwards but being labelled "D-Day Dodgers" as if what the
Simon
I find it an unfortunate situation that Garth Ennis is apparently most famous for his... uh, distinctive sense of shock humour rather than his very real storytelling talent. As I find much of the shock humour in "Preacher" unnecessary and even distracting at times, but can quite appreciate Ennis' knack for more subtle gallows humour growing organically from an interesting story with sympathetic if immensely flawed characters, I find "War Stories" to play to all of Ennis' strengths while reigning ...more
Sue
There are four short series/stories in this trade paperback. Each story is set in a different theater of the war, based loosely on some grain of truth but dramatized. The first is about a Wehrmacht Tiger tank drew participating in the fighting retreat from Soviet Russia, the second is about all-but-forgotten Brits slogging it out in Italy, the third is about American paratroopers just trying to survive until the end, and the last is about the crew of destroyer escort haunted by the events of a d ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
May 27, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit wary of this collection as it combines the war genre with a talented but rather rugged author known for his political incorrectness and excessive machismo as a storyteller. But Garth Ennis demonstrates his range and context awareness by offering a serious and deeply human colash on war. He uses his usually ironic brutality to create an uneasy realism.

Ennis’s characters are vulnerable, emotionally wounded by violence and hopelessness. These aren’t heroes, these are people with varying
Erik
May 29, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before his currently running war series published under the Dynamite logo, Ennis penned several war stories for DC’s Vertigo line – four of which are collected here in this first volume. Set in Russia, Italy, Germany, and the North Atlantic during the darkest days of WWII, Ennis shows proves yet again to be a writer nearly unparalleled in the comics world today. Funny book antics this is most certainly not. Rather, Ennis employs a poetic style – used to great effect at the harrowing close of “D- ...more
Robert
Sep 18, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these stories stood out as better than the others but as a whole they really are quite good. The fact that the authors used mostly facts to build their stories really helps give them some weight. And the artwork is really good as well. I would love to read the second volume and will be searching to see if I can turn it up anywhere close by. I highly recommend this one for fans of graphic art and war stories. By the way note that all of the stories in this volume are WWII tales.
Stephen Theaker
I remember, back in the days when letters pages in comics weren't quite so rare, Garth Ennis asking for help in completing his collection of Commando and the like: in these specials he has a crack at writing some of his own, and makes a pretty good fist of it. David Lloyd's artwork is stunning in the last of them.
Travis
Dec 23, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great collection of World War 2 comic stories. Almost any one would make a great movie.
Being war stories, don't always expect a happy ending, but they are some of the best stuff that Ennis has written.

'Johan's Tiger' and the one about the soldiers sent to take a german manor house were my favorites, but there really are no bad stories in this collection and the art is all great.

Mike Montesa
Nov 21, 2007 Mike Montesa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The war stories in this anthology by Garth Ennis are a far cry from the cigar-chomping heroics of Sgt. Rock. More like Saving Private Ryan and Cross of Iron in comic form. I particularly liked the opener "Johann's Tiger".
Bryan
Jan 28, 2008 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
A pleasant surprise. There is nothing groundbreaking here. Simple genre storytelling, told in classic comics style with truly excellent art and crisp writing. There is a bit of pulp and a good deal of historical accuracy. Looking forward to Vol. 2.
Norman
Jan 15, 2016 Norman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining comics.

True stories from a variety of wars. Character driven simple straight forward art - I love David Lloyd's style - fluid blacks and shadowing

Some the EC comic endings were ok but still not disappointed - lovely stuff just what I like in a simple read
Anthony
Feb 12, 2009 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Good, but not Ennis-y enough. Except for the story about Easy Company. That one is all Garth.
Jacob Quinn
May 11, 2013 Jacob Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was veary good and diffrent to commando
James
Feb 21, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, original war stories. Good range of artwork too.
Nick
Oct 02, 2010 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic_novels
Visceral, subtle yet action-packed, good story lengths, telling artwork, bit on the morbid side - but it's war after all.
Donald
Jan 26, 2012 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of WWII stories, Ennis and his collaborators do an exceptional job with this book.
Timo
Oct 16, 2011 Timo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Garth Ennis loves WWII stories. And he has penned some of the best and human WWII stories I have ever read.
Joel Ortiz-Quintanilla
Some of my favorite comics are these stories, I check this one and vol II out every now and again because I enjoy these comics, very well researched and well written.
Michael
Jul 25, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not Ennis' best, but he still does a great job at packaging what would otherwise be typical "war stories".
Russell Berg
Oct 04, 2015 Russell Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serialized set of short stories set in WW2. Strong thematic statements and wonderful art.
Abby &
Jun 25, 2010 Abby & rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The controversial author of "Preacher" delivers hard-hitting stories of World War Two combat from every side of the conflict.
Eric
Aug 07, 2009 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I came into this graphic novel with high hopes, but the stories seemed flat and fairly one-dimensional. The best of the four stories is "D-Day Dodgers."
Cem
Aug 02, 2011 Cem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cizgialemcem
Incredible. Simply amazing...
Steven Raszewski
Apr 04, 2016 Steven Raszewski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story telling, riveting stories historically accurate and the artwork awesome! Sure beats reading a 300+ page novel on the same subject matter. The points are every bit as wel made.
Ethan
Feb 17, 2013 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of this guy. I think this is some of his best work.
John
Dec 03, 2009 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Cliche stories about soldiers in World War II. To be honest, I don't remember what half of them were about.
shay
May 01, 2010 shay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great collection. wonderful artwork and interesting stories. i'm definitely looking forward to reading volume 2.
Themis
Themis rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2015
  • Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope
  • It Was the War of the Trenches
  • Light Brigade
  • Charley's War, Volume 1: 2 June – 1 August 1916 (Charley’s War, #1)
  • Yossel, April 19, 1943
  • Northlanders, Vol. 2: The Cross and the Hammer
  • COPS
  • Crécy
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • Nanjing: The Burning City
  • Potter's Field
  • Normandy: A Graphic History of D-Day, The Allied Invasion of Hitler's Fortress Europe
  • The Other Side
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Four: Out of the Ashes
  • Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

War Stories (4 books)